CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   This Onstar article is worrisome (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624296)

JimGnitecki 03-19-2024 12:42 PM

This Onstar article is worrisome

See:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2024/03...-driving-data/

MT-SS1LE 03-19-2024 01:21 PM

Let's hope GM's dishonesty and greed ends up costing them millions. It is clear now that GM has been enrolling people in that SmartCar bullshit without their express consent. Many people posting here and other forums saying they never consented, yet when they checked they were magically enrolled. No way this is by accident or some oversight, it is 100% deliberate on GM's part.

ZED SLED 03-19-2024 01:43 PM

might find some info and opinions here:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622276

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615044

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614279

split_bumper 03-19-2024 01:48 PM

I checked my app the other day for my Camaro and it was turned on. I turned it off now, its been in storage all winter. I wonder if me driving it for a couple weeks in the fall while it was registered in my name will even show up lol. Checked my truck, and that one appears to be off already. My truck insurance did however go way up this year (comp and collision almost doubled).

Number 3 03-19-2024 02:09 PM

Pretty sure GM has its butt covered here. Note in the article GM says you have to have accepted it 3 times. Of course the first is telling your insurance company “no”. Now if your insurance company sparks in a way that sounds like, “would you like to enroll in a safe driver program to help save you money?” Then that’s part of he problem. The other is if you just down load the app you are likely enrolling automatically if you don’t know to un enroll from he start.

I am going through he EXACT same thing with my new VW. And you should read who they are just selling your contact information to.

This is not just GM or OnStar. It’s every OEM with connected vehicles and services. It’s only a matter of whether they are more transparent than GM seems to be.

CamaroRSOnt 03-19-2024 02:24 PM

This is how GM wiggles out of the consent issue surrounding insurers. They sell the data to middleman, you consented to them sharing your data with third parties when you bought the car and use their app. Not their fault that your insurance company buys the data from the middleman which is LexisNexis and Verisk.

From the GM webpage:With customer consent, we share select OnStar Smart Driver insights about driving behavior with LexisNexis and Verisk, third-party telematics exchange companies that work with some insurance carriers. If additional consent is given to an insurance carrier that participates in the LexisNexis or Verisk programs, LexisNexis or Verisk may provide your selected carrier with data to help deliver usage-based insurance benefits. The full report of OnStar Smart Driver behavior is not shared with insurance carriers. However, you may request a consumer report directly from LexisNexis or Verisk to see what information about you is maintained in their files.

m6-lt1 03-19-2024 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 11412647)
Pretty sure GM has its butt covered here. Note in the article GM says you have to have accepted it 3 times. Of course the first is telling your insurance company “no”. Now if your insurance company sparks in a way that sounds like, “would you like to enroll in a safe driver program to help save you money?” Then that’s part of he problem. The other is if you just down load the app you are likely enrolling automatically if you don’t know to un enroll from he start.

I am going through he EXACT same thing with my new VW. And you should read who they are just selling your contact information to.

This is not just GM or OnStar. It’s every OEM with connected vehicles and services. It’s only a matter of whether they are more transparent than GM seems to be.

When the app updates it auto-reenrolls you. The other kicker is it showed off for smart driver in the app but when I logged in on the web browser it turned on again! I did NOT hit accept on anything 3 times. If someone can prove what I just said I think they aren’t covered. Re-enrolling because of an update is not the same thing as someone accepting 3 times.

Also when I first got my car I was not enrolled on the app but was enrolled in the website again. They are being devious and they know it. I feel a jury would be on the peoples side when this point gets brought up. The first oem to have an easy way of disabling this crap will get my money for my next car.

Junction65 03-19-2024 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 11412647)

Wouldn't worry about it. I have it on good authority that it's not happening and just an interwebs conspiracy theory. :thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 11244461)
Ok to be clear GM is not selling YOUR data. They might be selling a collective of data, e.g. pickup truck drivers do x,y or z. They are not selling data for John Doe unless John Doe agreed to it. Now we can look at how easy it is to get you to agree, but unless you do GM is not ratting you out.

When I worked there and wanted to access the data it was VERY clear if I got any data, it would be about a car but I COULD NOT see customer data or location.

That being said, your data is hugely valuable. It’s why Google is worth so much for a free product. Same for FB and, yes, as pointed out your phone. And Ultifi will allow GM to be more like Tesla and not only collect but send data.

So be very careful what you overtly or inadvertently agree to. I have had many letters from State Farm “want a lower rate?” Just give us access to your OnStar. Nope!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 11292977)
Pretty sure YOUR data is not sold by OnStar.

Your Camaro may be part of Camaro data sold but data for your car and you is not identifiable.

But that is counter to he conspiracy theory and the internet so carry on.

GroundhogSS 03-19-2024 04:33 PM

I've seen a lot of info about LexisNexis posted here but not about Verisk. The quote in post #6 above from GM says that they sell data to both companies. It sounds like we need to go through the same opt0out with Verisk also.

bandier 03-19-2024 05:28 PM

Damn it... I had turned Smart Driver off a while ago. I saw this discussion with comments about it re-activating. I checked my app and Smart Driver was on... WTF! I'm a chill driver and it's reporting I brake and accelerate hard every trip. I guess you literally have to drive like an old lady for the app to deem your driving style is appropriate. Not cool GM!!!

CHASLT1 03-19-2024 06:21 PM

I guess stick with older cars.

m6-lt1 03-19-2024 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHASLT1 (Post 11412687)
I guess stick with older cars.

Seriously. I’m debating dumping my 6th Gen for an s197 GT500 and this just give me more reason too.

Buellrider 03-19-2024 08:09 PM

That’s why I pulled the BS onstar board within a couple of weeks of buying my car. They can’t report and sell what they don’t have.

GroundhogSS 03-19-2024 08:30 PM

Here's the other bureau that GM sells data to.

https://fcra.verisk.com/#/