Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Drop springs regret (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499318)

camarohead 06-23-2017 07:43 AM

Drop springs regret

About to add "1 inch drop springs to my car and am wondering is the stiffer ride worth the lower stance. Been researching a lot on lowering my car and have read some love it to hate it post...thx

jrhagen 06-23-2017 09:14 AM

Coilovers.

KillboyPowerhead 06-23-2017 09:24 AM

If it's purely for the look then you'll want progressive springs as opposed to linear as they will be about as comfortable as the factory springs while on the street/driving normally but will also give the benefit of higher spring rates when you push the car. I went with Eibach's Pro Kit and do not regret them, but then again I wanted them for the performance aspect along with the look, and didn't care so much about ride comfort.

VR Baron 06-23-2017 10:55 AM

The Hotchkis springs are about the best 1" drop springs for ride. I liked mine.

Olddudesrule 06-23-2017 12:55 PM

Unfortunately, you probably won't know until you do it. It's fairly inexpensive compared to coilovers, but what you end up with is what you get, height and ride....with coilovers, you pay more, but you can adjust the height, and with some, can adjust rebound and dampening. I went with CO's, and never looked back.

You also have to ask why you're doing it. If it's just for the look of a lowered Camaro, then maybe springs alone are your best bet. There's give and take in almost every mod we do.....

BMR Sales 06-23-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olddudesrule (Post 9787243)
Unfortunately, you probably won't know until you do it. It's fairly inexpensive compared to coilovers, but what you end up with is what you get, height and ride....with coilovers, you pay more, but you can adjust the height, and with some, can adjust rebound and dampening. I went with CO's, and never looked back.

You also have to ask why you're doing it. If it's just for the look of a lowered Camaro, then maybe springs alone are your best bet. There's give and take in almost every mod we do.....

Very Good Advice! A Lowering Spring is going be performance oriented so the ride will be stiffer than Stock, but Teeth Rattling. It's a nice ride in my Opinion.

Yes, you will get opinions from people to Buy Coilovers. It's always nice to spend other peoples money, but the fact is most people don't have the need or the extra $$ to spend on them.

TC

JusticePete 06-23-2017 01:50 PM

Come to CamaroFEST next month in BG, Kentucky and find out in person. Get a ride, maybe a drive from one of the 7, 8 or 900 5th Gen there.

jrhagen 06-23-2017 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR Sales (Post 9787299)
Very Good Advice! A Lowering Spring is going be performance oriented so the ride will be stiffer than Stock, but Teeth Rattling. It's a nice ride in my Opinion.

Yes, you will get opinions from people to Buy Coilovers. It's always nice to spend other peoples money, but the fact is most people don't have the need or the extra $$ to spend on them.

TC

Does BMR sells springs and coilovers or just springs? Food for thought.

bayarea408 06-23-2017 05:41 PM

i got a pedders kit 1.4" drop and 1.3"

Although i have lower sways front and back to match, the ride is great, very little body roll. I have hit some massive pot holes never bottoms out. Takes it like a champ and pushes forward. The look and performance is worth it.

Jrichards73 06-23-2017 09:14 PM

I have full coil-overs and I would recommend the BMR drop springs. Yes the coil-overs are fully adjustable but getting them set right can be a real pain. The more adjustments the worse it is. I have the BMR 1.4 springs on stock dampers, because coil-overs tend to need rebuilding so when they are out getting rebuilt the BMR's are in.

The 1" should not be that different than stock.

camarohead 06-23-2017 10:00 PM

Thx for the replies. I'm doing it for sure. I like a better handling car.

DC5 06-24-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR Baron (Post 9787052)
The Hotchkis springs are about the best 1" drop springs for ride. I liked mine.

I agree. I contemplated installing coilovers but ultimately decided against them because of the cost, the hassle of getting them adjusted to my particular liking, and the possibility of the manufacturer no longer being in business when they require rebuilding.

I'm very happy the Hotchkis coil spring and FE4 absorber combination that I installed on my 2010 SS. However, next time I may install 1LE or Bilstein B6 absorbers.

Top Off 06-24-2017 10:25 AM

I have the PFADT lowering springs and some other suspension parts. I love the way the car both looks now and the handling aspect of it. The PFADT are lower than 1" so I do have to be careful on speed bumps and such. If cost were no object, sure coil-overs would be installed. If I'm going to upgrade to coil-overs though, I'm not going with cheap ones. Like Justice said. Try to head up to Fest and I'm sure multiple folks will be willing to let you ride so you have an idea.

JusticePete 06-24-2017 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5 (Post 9788382)
I agree. I contemplated installing coilovers but ultimately decided against them because of the cost, the hassle of getting them adjusted to my particular liking, and the possibility of the manufacturer no longer being in business when they require rebuilding.

I'm very happy the Hotchkis coil spring and FE4 absorber combination that I installed on my 2010 SS. However, next time I may install 1LE or Bilstein B6 absorbers.

:clap2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Off (Post 9788410)
I have the PFADT lowering springs and some other suspension parts. I love the way the car both looks now and the handling aspect of it. The PFADT are lower than 1" so I do have to be careful on speed bumps and such. If cost were no object, sure coil-overs would be installed. If I'm going to upgrade to coil-overs though, I'm not going with cheap ones. Like Justice said. Try to head up to Fest and I'm sure multiple folks will be willing to let you ride so you have an idea.

I hope to see you there.