Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Need advice please . (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373439)

kinpin 08-15-2014 09:18 PM

Need advice please .

I was driving my new 2014 ZL1 today and some (A hole ) left a razor blade knife in the road. Of course I did not see it and ran over it. I ended up with a broken razor blade embedded about 3/4 of an inch in my rear tire. I had to pull it out because it was going in deeper as I was driving on it to my local dealer. To my surprise after pulling it out the tire was holding air and when I got to my dealer they pulled off the tire and checked it - it was not leaking. I told them to order me a new tire anyway because I don't want to take a chance of it starting to leak a week from now or when I am driving on a track. This whole situation got me thinking about a few things.

First I only have 2,700 miles on my car should I replace both back tires? Or just the one? I am also wondering is there any options out there of how to get a ZL1 on a flat bed truck with out wrecking the front splitter or the rims? I have seen this tow ring that sticks out of the front lower grill but I think it looks terrible.

JackalopeZL1 08-15-2014 09:29 PM

I would compare outside diameter old versus new. Maybe even circumstances and tread depths. That should give you a much better idea as to if there is too much wear . I guess it really depends on how much you have been getting on it as far as tread depth left. A second tire is cheaper and easier than premature wear on a limited slip diff.. All that said I bet you would be fine, but I would want measurements to help make my mind up.. In the end if I felt funny about it, just to know all is cool I would replace both so I would not have to wonder about it again.

KLR ZL1 08-15-2014 10:01 PM

If you have the cash then buy both. They are less than $300 apiece on Tire Rack. You can get all for mounted at Discount for a little more than a grand.

Shakeandbake 08-16-2014 02:47 AM

Mine was flat bedded out to the track so that easily possible we solved the clearance issue with a few 2 by 4s. Drove on fine both ways. Funny, I had my rear right tire go flat at 800 miles due to some piece shrapnel embedding into the sidewall.

DrkPhx 08-16-2014 07:47 AM

The stock tires seem to pick up anything that can puncture a tire like a magnet. I picked up a nail in my rear driver side within a few months of buying it. In your case I would have the tire tested to see if it actually has a leak. If it does have a leak I would have it patched unless you plan on tracking it. There is a spare tire in the trunk in case you get a real flat on the road so you don't get stranded.

Sven59 08-16-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrkPhx (Post 7894065)
The stock tires seem to pick up anything that can puncture a tire like a magnet. I picked up a nail in my rear driver side within a few months of buying it. In your case I would have the tire tested to see if it actually has a leak. If it does have a leak I would have it patched unless you plan on tracking it. There is a spare tire in the trunk in case you get a real flat on the road so you don't get stranded.

You got a spare tire?

vatechguy3 08-16-2014 10:22 AM

I have a battery where the spare tire used to be.
Just fyi.

Tony

ZL1-V 08-16-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinpin (Post 7893554)
I am also wondering is there any options out there of how to get a ZL1 on a flat bed truck with out wrecking the front splitter or the rims? I have seen this tow ring that sticks out of the front lower grill but I think it looks terrible.

I love the way mine looks. It's required for those that take their cars to the track. You'll hate the look of it until you are stuck and need to get pulled out of the dirt on a public highway! I have been in that scenario before, prior to installing a tow hook I was forced to watch the tow truck operator attach hooks to the underside. The whole time I'm hoping that he didn't take out the MR sensor while attaching the hook! He didn't but others have. One possible option is to attach a strap to your bumper, since you want to keep your ZL1 stock and not looking"terrible". :biggrin:

jbotta 08-16-2014 10:56 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsVjmQ9De1Q

Yep, Nails got my right rear and had a track day that Monday, That was a quick 300 $ . You don't realize how big the tire is until you see it off the car.

JB'sZL1 02-18-2022 07:33 AM

Not the same issue.

Oil? At the front grill, or coolant?

And jfyi, it is more appropriate to start your own thread, rather than reviving an 8 year old thread, particularly when the matter is totally unrelated to the op.

Omar122898 02-18-2022 08:21 AM

I am new on here my bad

lbls1 02-18-2022 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinpin (Post 7893554)
I was driving my new 2014 ZL1 today and some (A hole ) left a razor blade knife in the road. Of course I did not see it and ran over it. I ended up with a broken razor blade embedded about 3/4 of an inch in my rear tire. I had to pull it out because it was going in deeper as I was driving on it to my local dealer. To my surprise after pulling it out the tire was holding air and when I got to my dealer they pulled off the tire and checked it - it was not leaking. I told them to order me a new tire anyway because I don't want to take a chance of it starting to leak a week from now or when I am driving on a track. This whole situation got me thinking about a few things.

First I only have 2,700 miles on my car should I replace both back tires? Or just the one? I am also wondering is there any options out there of how to get a ZL1 on a flat bed truck with out wrecking the front splitter or the rims? I have seen this tow ring that sticks out of the front lower grill but I think it looks terrible.

Just replace the damaged tire with the same type (I normally patch punctures like nails, but in your case you wanted peace of mind so its quite alright to replace the tire) As far as loading options, a lot of owners have the tow hook installed up front.

KaBoom1701 02-18-2022 10:21 AM

Meh.... it happens.

Just do a epic burnout and give the rear tires a proper send off. Then grab a new set and move on. Gotta pay to play with these cars.

ZMEnow 02-18-2022 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 (Post 11135748)
Meh.... it happens.

Just do a epic burnout and give the rear tires a proper send off. Then grab a new set and move on. Gotta pay to play with these cars.

Yep I send old rears and clutch's to the graveyard with the same ceremony..