CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Why would anyone want a 4 cylinder 2016 camaro (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275580)

KMPrenger 06-28-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamooth (Post 6726837)
With the rumors about the new Mustang getting a turbo 4 that actually outperforms and is more expensive than a 6 cyl, one would imagine GM at least looking into it.

This thread just keeps on and keeps on lol.

It should be no shock to anyone here that a turbo 4 could run with or outrun a V6. Performance oriented turbo 4 engines these days are making 280 - 320 HP and that same amount in torque and also makes that torque at low rpms.

Compare that to a V6 which makes plenty of HP 323HP, but just 278 TQ and you can easily see how the turbo 4 could be quicker.

Throw a tune on the turbo 4 and suddenly your looking at TQ numbers closer to 400.

Yes right now the rumor mill seems to think the Mustang base car will be the V6, with the T4 being an optional engine which likely will have more torque, and better highway gas mileage.

I'd guess that GM is doing the same.

2010-1SS-IBM 06-28-2013 01:43 PM

Would rather see a turbo 8 option than a turbo 4 option.

revychevy 06-28-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM (Post 6728188)

I agree, still can't figure why no one will compare turbo V6 to turbo 4 on this thread. Any performance (HP and TQ) you get from FI of a 4 banger, you can get with FI V6 or FI V8.

KMPrenger 06-28-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by revychevy (Post 6728381)
I agree, still can't figure why no one will compare turbo V6 to turbo 4 on this thread. Any performance (HP and TQ) you get from FI of a 4 banger, you can get with FI V6 or FI V8.

Forgive me if I miss-understand, but I think the appropriate response to these comments is "DUH".

The whole point is to create an efficient and powerful engine. Not too win HP wars. Of course anyone that cares about power will want a turbo V6 or turbo V8 over a turbo 4.....but if that person's budget doesn't allow for that then they will be glad to see an option for them that isn't completely boring to drive either.

Why would we compare a T8 or a T6 to a T4?

Sorry I just don't understand your comments I guess.

camarostar2010 06-28-2013 04:56 PM

well I have a twin turbo 8, and I love it...yoot yoot :)

spyderbuddy 06-28-2013 05:10 PM

I thought they have a 4cyl Camaro. Isn't called an L99? :sm0:

ThaCamaroKid 06-28-2013 05:33 PM

I would say several reasons ( though these are not for me :happy0180: )

1 - cheaper than a V8
2 - better fuel economy
3 - not everybody modifies their car for racing, some people like low/mild power
4 - why drive a Prius when you could drive something with similar fuel economy and the looks of a Camaro?

Does not mean I think like that. :headbang:
But some people do. And if there is a market for it, why not make a car for it?

aggieguy13 06-28-2013 08:01 PM

so they can VTEC it yo. so vtec can kick in, because people who talk about vtec are COMPELTELY AWARE that almost every car since 2000 that has fuel injection effectively has "vtec"

*sarcasm

revychevy 06-29-2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6728639)
Forgive me if I miss-understand, but I think the appropriate response to these comments is "DUH".

The whole point is to create an efficient and powerful engine. Not too win HP wars. Of course anyone that cares about power will want a turbo V6 or turbo V8 over a turbo 4.....but if that person's budget doesn't allow for that then they will be glad to see an option for them that isn't completely boring to drive either.

Why would we compare a T8 or a T6 to a T4?

Sorry I just don't understand your comments I guess.

Many here are comparing high end turbo 4s to NA v6 in terms of HP and TQ. THAT is what I'm talking about. If you are just after gas mileage, how did you say it? Duh. Buy a Prius or a turbo diesel Cruze. With around 48 mpg. You don't get to compare FI to NA then when someone points out you can mod anything, or slap a turbocharger on a V6 then claim it's only to create a efficient engine.

Number 3 06-29-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieguy13 (Post 6729913)
so they can VTEC it yo. so vtec can kick in, because people who talk about vtec are COMPELTELY AWARE that almost every car since 2000 that has fuel injection effectively has "vtec"

*sarcasm

VTEC is variable valve timing, not fuel injection.

unkillsam 06-30-2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 6731227)

He is correct. Most cars have variable valve timing. However there has not been a production carbed vehicle since 1991, so not sure why he was tying fuel injection into variable timing.

ChrisBlair 06-30-2013 06:22 AM

I want a 4 cylinder inline transverse mounted engine powering the front wheels in the Gen 6 Camaro as the only engine choice, just to piss some of you guys off :laugh:

Mamooth 06-30-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieguy13 (Post 6729913)

*sarcasm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 3 (Post 6731227)

I'm not a Honda guy but VTEC is a LOT more than variable valve timing. For it's day, VTEC was one of the most incredible engine advances for a tiny little 4 banger since the overhead cam. It varies timing yes, but also has two totally separate cam profiles. The "VTEC kicked in yo!" people are mostly idiots but VTEC remains much more technologically advanced than other variable valve timing systems outside of extremely high end cars.

Quote:

Duh? hahaa :biggrin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6727816)
This thread just keeps on and keeps on lol.

It should be no shock to anyone here that a turbo 4 could run with or outrun a V6. Performance oriented turbo 4 engines these days are making 280 - 320 HP and that same amount in torque and also makes that torque at low rpms.

Compare that to a V6 which makes plenty of HP 323HP, but just 278 TQ and you can easily see how the turbo 4 could be quicker.

Throw a tune on the turbo 4 and suddenly your looking at TQ numbers closer to 400.

Yes right now the rumor mill seems to think the Mustang base car will be the V6, with the T4 being an optional engine which likely will have more torque, and better highway gas mileage.

I'd guess that GM is doing the same.

Yup. As long as there is always a bad a$$ v-8 performer to keep the spirit of this car alive who cares how many different engines they offer trying to get more sales? More sales equals never having to suffer through another hiatus like between 4th and 5th gens.

Mamooth 06-30-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisBlair (Post 6734061)
I want a 4 cylinder inline transverse mounted engine powering the front wheels in the Gen 6 Camaro as the only engine choice, just to piss some of you guys off :laugh:

Sounds good! Lets have one in front and one in back! :bonk: