Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   L99, Going for cam without LTH (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495987)

Inspiro 05-24-2017 02:22 AM

L99, Going for cam without LTH

Hi

I'm decided to go for TSP VVT 1.2 cam for my 2012 SS
I contacted TSP, and they replied that the cam should add close to 100 engine hp, but it needs intake and LTH installed before

Intake is no problem, but the LTH will be PITA here in Dubai as I will have to get them removed yearly for testing; as the inspector will not pass anycar with LT, so I wanted to stay under the radar and go for Intake and cam only,

one more thing, the high quality LT with CATs(I don't want my car to be very smelly)will run for like 1400USD ,may be more like 1800 USDif I go for the Kooks green(GESI) cats , not to mention like 250 for overseas shipping to here(which somehow doesn';t justify getting a cheaper header)

How much do you think power I will lose from the cam if I go for intake+ cam only

Thanks in advance

Swacer 05-24-2017 05:54 AM

I'm not sure you'll even get proper airflow without long tubes.

Personally, if you want the power, be willing to do the work. Be willing ot pull the long tubes each year, or find someone who is willing to look the other way.

I guess you could investigate if shorties would work?

Avenging Orange 05-24-2017 09:11 AM

Supercharger?

xc_SS/RS 05-24-2017 09:16 AM

Could you run shorty headers?

Inspiro 05-25-2017 12:11 AM

Shorties will probably pass the test, as long as I keep the CATs, but most of the shorties either look very badly designed with great variance in length and other concerns
While the ones that seem to have good design apparently have issues with the plug wires not to mention they are as pricey as the LTH and then wether they will be good fo rthe cam or not is questionable

Dmpsix 05-25-2017 12:27 AM

Another option would be turbos... they require the stock manifold to work and you wont have any issues passing inspection.

Not the answer you're looking for unfortunately, but at least you know there are other options, that would not only pass inspection but add WAY more horsepower than a cam ever would.

Inspiro 05-25-2017 04:42 AM

No chance to pass with aftermarket forced induction, so I wanna stay NA
If I wanna go FI, I'd better start with a ZL1

Swacer 05-25-2017 06:07 AM

Then it sounds like either enjoy the car as it is, or trade it in for something else :)

Avenging Orange 05-25-2017 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swacer (Post 9743301)
Then it sounds like either enjoy the car as it is, or trade it in for something else :)

:word:

Synner 05-25-2017 09:57 AM

Just get aftermarket cats and keep the factory manifolds. You'll get the majority of the power that long tubes would have given you and will still pass emissions. Shorty headers I would personally save your money on and not get but you can get some if you really want to.

davidscamaro 05-25-2017 11:01 AM

What about z28 manifolds and aftermarket high flow cats

xc_SS/RS 05-25-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspiro (Post 9743182)
Shorties will probably pass the test, as long as I keep the CATs, but most of the shorties either look very badly designed with great variance in length and other concerns
While the ones that seem to have good design apparently have issues with the plug wires not to mention they are as pricey as the LTH and then wether they will be good fo rthe cam or not is questionable

I'd check out the Z/28 manifolds like the post above suggests. They are tri-y design and OEM parts should fly through inspection

If you go shorties, pick up some plug wire sleeves or look into ceramic coatings. Both will help with keeping the wires in great condition

They will work with the cam, you just won't realize the full gain. Not sure if you can create a cam to optimize shorty headers, but you could look into that if you wanted

Inspiro 05-28-2017 12:30 AM

Thank you for your recommendations, will check the Z28

LCPLPunk 05-28-2017 03:05 AM

OR.....how about 3.91 gears? OR...how about a torque converter? Neither of those require any modifications to the engine and both will make you markedly faster!