CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   LT1, 460 HP Confirmed for the 2016 Camaro SS (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401410)

Criticalmass 03-25-2015 09:00 AM

LT1, 460 HP Confirmed for the 2016 Camaro SS

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/0...etails-emerge/

Quote:

Chevrolet made it official last week when it finally admitted the Camaro will be powered by a 460-horse, direct-injected 6.2L LT1—the same basic LT1 that debuted in the C7 Corvette Stingray. However, 20 percent of the Camaro LT1 has been specifically tailored to fit the sixth-gen. Camaro’s packaging. That includes a special tri-Y exhaust manifold.

PoorMansCamaro 03-25-2015 09:05 AM

Wouldn't say this is confirmed. the LT1 is, but that article is assuming it will have the same hp as the vette. GM hasn't released any info about the LT1 in the Camaro yet.

Ragnar 03-25-2015 09:09 AM

Vette guys would be unhappy that a Camaro had the same power...

gajagfan 03-25-2015 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragnar (Post 8317857)

Yes, and I don't think GM would do that. Even if the two cars had the same power, they would rate it lower.

Apex Motorsports 03-25-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragnar (Post 8317857)

That has always been the conventional wisdom but the game has changed in recent years. For example, just look at the ZL1 versus a C6 when it was released. The C7 has a lot more to offer than just its HP rating and the muscle car war is nuclear these days. Obviously they do not want the Camaro to outperform the C7 but even if all things are equal there is no risk of that simply due to weight if nothing else. Based on some of the conversations I have had and things I have heard I have a feeling GM is really looking to make a statement with the 6th Gen, not just build a Mustang competitor with a bow tie on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they rate it the same or maybe 5hp less so they can drop a 30hp and 60 lb-ft of torque advantage over over the Mustang GT.

TXLS3 03-25-2015 09:38 AM

I never fall for those factory crank hp #'s.

stoopid 03-25-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports (Post 8317922)
That has always been the conventional wisdom but the game has changed in recent years. For example, just look at the ZL1 versus a C6 when it was released. The C7 has a lot more to offer than just its HP rating and the muscle car war is nuclear these days. Obviously they do not want the Camaro to outperform the C7 but even if all things are equal there is no risk of that simply due to weight if nothing else. Based on some of the conversations I have had and things I have heard I have a feeling GM is really looking to make a statement with the 6th Gen, not just build a Mustang competitor with a bow tie on it. I wouldn't be surprised if they rate it the same or maybe 5hp less so they can drop a 30hp and 60 lb-ft of torque advantage over over the Mustang GT.

This. :first:

It's still just a rumor until you see it in print on Chevy's website.

Criticalmass 03-25-2015 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro (Post 8317845)
Wouldn't say this is confirmed. the LT1 is, but that article is assuming it will have the same hp as the vette. GM hasn't released any info about the LT1 in the Camaro yet.

It's very possible it will be detuned, but also possible that the 2016 Vette version gets a bump in HP.

Bhobbs 03-25-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports (Post 8317922)

What are you referring to by the ZL1 and C6?

GM confirmed the LT1 but there hasn't been any statements on the power rating.

Tricksta 03-25-2015 10:14 AM

Hopefully they don't de tune it. If they do it can't be much of a difference surely, they wil give us more HP than the LS3 made..

Destructo09 03-25-2015 10:58 AM

The LS3 is almost the exact same HP as the C6 corvette. I don't see why they would care if it's the same, the Camaro will be way heavier and slower.

Apex Motorsports 03-25-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 8318007)
What are you referring to by the ZL1 and C6?

Prior to the ZL1 there was an unspoken rule that the Camaro couldn't have more power than the Vette. Throughout the years there are numerous examples of the Camaro having the same engine/drive train as the Vette yet the power numbers were rated lower. Then the ZL1 came along to fight the GT500 and for the first time you could get a Camaro that had more power than the Vette and at a similar price point. Now that that barrier has been broken I don't see why there would be any need to rate the Camaro lower anymore. The C7 is truly a world class sports car and has a lot more to offer than just it's HP rating.

ZED SLED 03-25-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destructo09 (Post 8318097)
The LS3 is almost the exact same HP as the C6 corvette. I don't see why they would care if it's the same, the Camaro will be way heavier and slower.

Yep, the LS3 in the C6 was rated at 430. So maybe the LT1 will remain no more than 1% less.

gajagfan 03-25-2015 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZED SLED (Post 8318170)
Yep, the LS3 in the C6 was rated at 430. So maybe the LT1 will remain no more than 1% less.

I think this will be the case. Less, but not by much. The ZL1 comments are valid, but the regular SS will be still much less than a Vette, so I think they will want it to have a bit less power.