CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Just a heads up on the fogging windshield issue (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500115)

TJay74 06-30-2017 06:10 PM

Just a heads up on the fogging windshield issue

Took my 17 SS into the dealer for this issue. The TSB doesn't provide the dealer with anything more than the direction of what to look for, there is no specific tool as the dealer has to make their own to try and reach the foam piece in the HVAC box.

Well the windshield has to come out just to try that repair. If that doesn't work just a heads up, the car has to almost come completely apart. Both doors have to come out, both front seats and the console come out, then the entire dash has to come out in order to get to the HVAC box and fix it.

I decided to pass on it at this time, the job only pays 6hrs of labor. That is going to force a tech to rush and in turn steps and pieces will get hurried.

Cant believe GM isn't paying anything more than that for as much work as it will require.

Bow Tie Affair 06-30-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJay74 (Post 9797832)
Took my 17 SS into the dealer for this issue. The TSB doesn't provide the dealer with anything more than the direction of what to look for, there is no specific tool as the dealer has to make their own to try and reach the foam piece in the HVAC box.

Well the windshield has to come out just to try that repair. If that doesn't work just a heads up, the car has to almost come completely apart. Both doors have to come out, both front seats and the console come out, then the entire dash has to come out in order to get to the HVAC box and fix it.

I decided to pass on it at this time, the job only pays 6hrs of labor. That is going to force a tech to rush and in turn steps and pieces will get hurried.

Cant believe GM isn't paying anything more than that for as much work as it will require.

That is really chickenshit of GM. They make a colossal blunder and then pound the technician. I would not consider doing it for the reason you stated.

F1FTY 06-30-2017 06:47 PM

Ouch, that is ridiculous. I was out as soon as I found out that the fix required them to remove the windshield. A tech doing the rest of that? No way. Thank you for sharing

Wierd Harold 06-30-2017 07:34 PM

1970 - 1987 worked as a tech in a GM dealer. Some jobs paid bare minimum.other operations paid really good. Atech will not re &re a windshield ,this will be sublet out to a glass company. With the windshield removed and the defroster grill removed,an inspection camera can be inserted thru the duct to spot the foam.Then the tech would insert a flex grabber claw to remove the foam.most techs would probably not want to invest in a good boroscope.A well equipped dealer should have one of these in their Kent Moore tool room.mine has done this once will wait to see what happens when it gets more humid.Found it inconvenient for about 30 seconds

Homer2 06-30-2017 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wierd Harold (Post 9797922)
1970 - 1987 worked as a tech in a GM dealer. Some jobs paid bare minimum.other operations paid really good. Atech will not re &re a windshield ,this will be sublet out to a glass company. With the windshield removed and the defroster grill removed,an inspection camera can be inserted thru the duct to spot the foam.Then the tech would insert a flex grabber claw to remove the foam.most techs would probably not want to invest in a good boroscope.A well equipped dealer should have one of these in their Kent Moore tool room.mine has done this once will wait to see what happens when it gets more humid.Found it inconvenient for about 30 seconds

What area.. if your dealer has the tools and has done it.. might be close enough to me.

n813ca 06-30-2017 08:55 PM

Sadly this problem is very dangerous where it is humid. Maybe it is time for me to move on.....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

n813ca 06-30-2017 08:55 PM

Thank you for the heads up though. I just wished GM would wake up

misterbill77 06-30-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJay74 (Post 9797832)

Mine was in for an unrelated issue earlier this week and I asked them to fix this since I live in FL and on humid mornings this fog takes up 1/3 of the windshield smack-dab in the center. Rather than following the advice of the TSB, my dealer "reprogrammed the HVAC". I rode home from the dealership this evening on AUTO with temp set at the lowest possible setting in a sweat pool because of this adjustment - 20 minutes of absolute miserableness. Needless to say, it's going back to the dealer tomorrow to reprogram the HVAC back to normal.

All this to say, tell them not to screw with the HVAC programming at all costs.

n813ca 06-30-2017 09:11 PM

Thank you miaterbill

n813ca 06-30-2017 09:12 PM

Misterbill77

TJay74 06-30-2017 10:17 PM

My dealer didn't have the camera or the claw, they were told by GM TAC to make their own tool or find a claw, they told me that GM has not specified any specific tools other than how the process should work involving removing the windshield.

Bosun68 06-30-2017 10:35 PM

Not sure about what you were told but today I visited the dealership to set an appointment to fix this issue. The service writer pulled up the bulletin I provided and she says it is only a 2 hour job. I specifically asked about pulling the windshield and she said it doesn't direct them to do that. The only thing they remove is the upper dash is what she relayed to me.

AND, only cars cars built between certain dates are eligible for this fix. I apologize for not asking what specific dates.

Hmmmm....

fastball 06-30-2017 10:48 PM

Some Dealers are just..... grrrrr.

Some will make your day. Others will give you orange juice with a bag of popcorn and tell you that's how you fill the tank.

Wheel Team 6 06-30-2017 11:06 PM

Fogging windshield

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterbill77 (Post 9798035)
Mine was in for an unrelated issue earlier this week and I asked them to fix this since I live in FL and on humid mornings this fog takes up 1/3 of the windshield smack-dab in the center. Rather than following the advice of the TSB, my dealer "reprogrammed the HVAC". I rode home from the dealership this evening on AUTO with temp set at the lowest possible setting in a sweat pool because of this adjustment - 20 minutes of absolute miserableness. Needless to say, it's going back to the dealer tomorrow to reprogram the HVAC back to normal.

All this to say, tell them not to screw with the HVAC programming at all costs.

Been there done that nothing changed. I literally got in the car and the windshield was fogged up. Not even 5 minutes after the service advisor stated it was fixed lol