CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   How Will GM Repeat Success with 2016 6th Gen Camaro? Al Oppenheiser Weighs In (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209699)

htron50 03-16-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 4655721)
:word:

This car but 400 pounds lighter and a tad smaller and I'd trade mine in for one. And I wouldn't trade mine in for much. Not even a ZL1.

I'd like to see the Gen6 actually be about 600 lbs lighter in the SS to SS comparison. Then, in the Z28 version maybe with heavier suspension parts it would be ok to simply be 300-400 lbs lighter (but with 525HP N/A).

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWoj3540 (Post 4655822)
"Displacement, number of cylinders, all of these things you need to think about." This means bye bye V8…get em while you can boys and girls

As I said in my earlier post on this thread, the culture at GM IS CHANGING. The "new guard" - whoever that's going to be - may carry a bigger stick than the old guard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAWMAN (Post 4656118)
maybe it needs to be a smaller version of the vette...?not exactly like it but styling cue's from it,

That would be a mistake in my opinion. Smaller than the Vette? Yikes. The Vette is already skinned down, LOWDOWN, and tighter than a tick in a cornrow braid. The Camaro may need to have a damn good V6 base engine and, depending on the culture/gas wars, a V6 ready to roll with 475 HP and a warranty (in a 3500 lb gross wt format). Just in case. There are plenty of Gen6 renditions out there already.

But........ bottom-line - this is what we'd all like to see a repeat of:

http://www.carbodydesign.com/archive...-wcdoty-award/

Kmorpheus 03-16-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejudgemeister (Post 4649261)
Really? You'd take designers that failed to keep a defunct company's designs current and marketable and let them destroy a successful design? I could see the Camaro sales plummeting soon afterwards. Now give the Camaro team (which is or was a Cadillac team by the way) a chance to do a TransAm, now your talking. :)

It's obvious that we have very different opinions on Pontiac. If it would have been my call, Chevy would have been scraped and Pontiac would have lived on. just look at the G8 and then to that turd the Impala, and then we can talk about a company that kept its designs current. But If Chevy really wanted to impress me with something more than with the camaro, lets make a modern day Chevelle coup, I loved the 1970 Chevelle

_Nick_ 03-16-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kmorpheus (Post 4656548)
It's obvious that we have very different opinions on Pontiac. If it would have been my call, Chevy would have been scraped and Pontiac would have lived on. just look at the G8 and then to that turd the Impala, and then we can talk about a company that kept its designs current.

I would have scrapped GMC had it been my choice. Everything they make is practically a Carbon copy of Chevy trucks. Also, being that they only sell trucks, it's sales will decrease from now on, due to people being more concerned with the price of gas.

Quote:

But If Chevy really wanted to impress me with something more than with the camaro, lets make a modern day Chevelle coup, I loved the 1970 Chevelle
No, thanks. They'd bastardize the Chevelle moniker, just as they did to the GTO*. It could never live up to the name.

*The GTO would have been a fine car, and the hate towards it would be less, had they called it something else.

stlrammer 03-16-2012 08:16 PM

An interesting 6th Gen prospect in this photo.
http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/.../Gen6Green.jpg

RetroDude 03-16-2012 08:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Personally, I'm just happy to hear that GM is in the planning stage for the 6th Generation Camaro. It wasn't too long ago ( 1 Decade to be exact ) that at the end of the 2002 Model Year the future for the Camaro looked dead when the plug was pulled on the 4th Generation Model. Today we hear, based on the success of the 5th Gen that there will be a 6th Gen in the making for Christmas 2015 or so. To me, this is simply AWESOME news ! :happyanim:
We have survived and will continue to prosper into the future as we look forward to what the Next Generation will have in store for us. I'm hoping the 6th Gen model will include a Z/28 version as well as a really cool 50th Anniversary Edition in 2017 as that will be most likely when I'll trade in my 2010. Until then, I wait in anticipation for the 1st Spy Photos to :drool: over. :thumbsup:

Attachment 348050

Attachment 348051

PQ 03-16-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htron50 (Post 4656476)
I'd like to see the Gen6 actually be about 600 lbs lighter in the SS to SS comparison. Then, in the Z28 version maybe with heavier suspension parts it would be ok to simply be 300-400 lbs lighter (but with 525HP N/A).

Agreed. Sounds good to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlrammer (Post 4657906)
An interesting 6th Gen prospect in this photo.
http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/.../Gen6Green.jpg

If this were an actual concept the production model would most likely be a huge disapointment.

Bell040 03-16-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAM MAN (Post 4652951)
Well I think I will have start making more room I got 3 years. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1331867192

Wow

:respekt:

Ozzie RS 03-17-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abaucom21 (Post 4649026)
I read all the comments to MotorTrend and wonder why so many Camaro haters bother to post. Do those people really think their off-the-wall comments will really influence GM? However, there were some valid well thought out suggestions.
GM did something right with the 5th generation styling as sales have indicated. Agree interior materials should be improved. I know people with some exotic sports cars that have worst visibility issues then my Camaro. But with correctly positioned mirrors, I have adjusted and perhaps have become a safer driver when I back up or change lanes. In a few years perhaps cameras cleanly integrated into the side mirrors, with a small dash monitor is the way to go for better side visibility.
I hope the 6th generation will be an evolution of the current design because the 5th generation Camaro has been a sales winner. Yes, loose some weight but that can be done with materials without reducing the current overall size. I would consider a 6th generation Camaro that has less weight, but would not consider if the Camaro smaller. Some people (responding to MotorTrend) want a smaller Camaro with more interior space including backseat, larger trunk, and add a turbo 4 cylinder. My response is go get a 4-door rice burner and add some big tail pipes the size of pipes used for sewage disposal.
I disagree with some of the MotorTrend posters that GM designed the Camaro for older guys stuck in the 60s-70s. I am an older guy and was driving in the 60s-70s, and if I wanted, I could have bought a 1st or 2nd generation Camaro instead of my 2011 2LT. Been there...but I wanted a car that looked 21st century which to my eye was the Camaro (did consider both the Mustang and Challenger but to my eye those two autos just didn't look modern enough). No way GM designed our Camaro for us older guys! I am 61 and not as limber as I once was. Getting in and out of my Camaro for the first two weeks of ownership was not graceful. However, after exercising previously un-used muscles getting in and out of my Camaro for the last 18 months, I can now slide in and out without dragging my old butt over the thin leather upholstery (LOL). Driving my 5th generation Camaro does not make me think I am younger than my 61 years, but it sure has made me more limber! Thank you GM.

I agree completely. And as for the old butt getting in and out I'm 54 soon 55 and it has made me more limber too, LOL.

derklug 03-17-2012 12:51 AM

Some things come into play that involve economics more than vehicle design. Ford has run the Mustang platform for 9 years, while the Camaro will only be 5(6) years old in 2015. The longer you can run a platform, the more profitable the line. GM has a good looking vehicle with good sales, so expect that they will tinker around the edges with gen 6 to use as many existing components as possible. Mustangs are currently like hookers at Charlie Sheen's house, you can't turn around without tripping over one. GM can stay the course (with minor mods) on Camaros untill they reach the saturation point of the Mustang. Then again, I could be full of brown smelly stuff.

tsnow 03-17-2012 01:16 AM

Not gonna happen. It has been said already that the Gen 6 will be on the Caddy ATS platform which is now finished.
Completly new.
Much effort went into each individual component to keep it light but still strong.
Caddy folks have claimed it will be in under 3400 lbs at production.

Please dont go Gen 2 on us, a revised version of this car with more 68' in it than 69' would be my preference.
Gen 1 influences are the reason this car is doing so well.

The new DI V8's will eventually reinvent the hot rodding world just as the LS motors have.
The SS and Z cars should be an impressive package for their price point.

GM, dont screw up the styling or price yourselves out of the intended market.

Good stuff is coming!

pistolgripcopo1 03-17-2012 01:20 AM

That rendering of that green thing looks like a corvett. I hope GM. wont mess with the styleing to much. Maby the way GM. did the 67, and 68. When you look at the auctions, Its the 69 that brings the big money. Its the style lines that looks so sexy. Doin't mess with a good thing GM.

Eviscer8r 03-17-2012 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kmorpheus (Post 4656548)
It's obvious that we have very different opinions on Pontiac. If it would have been my call, Chevy would have been scraped and Pontiac would have lived on. just look at the G8 and then to that turd the Impala, and then we can talk about a company that kept its designs current. But If Chevy really wanted to impress me with something more than with the camaro, lets make a modern day Chevelle coup, I loved the 1970 Chevelle

Its funny you should say this. I ended up coming across an article when writing a paper for an economics class. Here is an excerpt....

"Instead of remembering Pontiac as the car company that produced the sleek Trans Am, the muscular GTO, the popular Grand Prix, or even the innovative little Fiero, it will be forever associated with the horrible Aztek which to many people has become the definition of hideous."

RIPws6 03-17-2012 04:05 AM

Who wants to hear from a GM exec who is scratching his head at this point in the game? The person in his position should already have a gameplan, god knows Ford probably does. "OMG what do we do?!!?!"....wrong answer pal!
From what I am hearing GM is going to downsize the powerplant of the camaro and sub that with a turbocharged echo friendly *****-mobile. I certainly hope that isnt the case here but this guy scratching his head and not offering any real answers has me concerned.
One fact is true. Mustang will come out swinging. They didnt take any government money, have no agenda to ahere to and they can do pretty much what they want with little to no political pressure.
Next time I read an interview with a GM exec about the future of the next gen Camaro, I sure hope to read something with vision and certainty.

Camaro_hx 03-17-2012 07:41 AM

A CRITICAL SELLING POINT FOR MANY IS THE STOCK EXHAUST SYSTEM- PLS HAVE IT SOUND BETTER THAN THE STOCK MUSTANG EXHAUST SYSTEM!

SUGGESTION.... something called a "SOUND SYMPOSER" which optimises the frequency of exhaust sound from the mufflers into the interior cabin with a function of a diaphram and valves.

swizz 03-17-2012 09:21 AM

I'm 28 years old and now into classics as well as my current Camaro... A redesign of the 2nd Gen is the way to go. There really isn't much you can do to 5th Gen to make it look any better than it currently is. It's very clear that 2nd Gen's design lends more to weight reduction anyway. It makes more sense. It just needs to take ELEMENTS of it... like key areas such as the grille and overall silhouette of the entire car's exterior.

That's what I would expect and anticipate styling wise and I would bump up the interior... stop with the plastic and hard rubber.

As far as engine... everyone is spot on about it...
SS MUST be at a minimum 500hp
ZL-1 must still exist
Z28 Twin Turbo v6 in Jay Leno mold
V6 for Cafe rules...
I4 if you MUST for Cafe rules.

Sweet Z 03-17-2012 12:23 PM

So we say that the 5th gen is based on the 1st gen, then the 6th gen would be based off the 2nd gen?

Then the 7th gen is based on the 3rd gen, 8th gen based on the 4th gen.

9th gen based on the 5th gen which was based on the 1st gen???

Let's go with something all new this time!!! HA!!

blackswan 03-17-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htron50 (Post 4656476)
...The Camaro may need to have a damn good V6 base engine and, ...

Already does :) Just say'n...

5thGenOwner 03-17-2012 02:24 PM

If they continue to go retro... they better bring back T-tops!

RonnieSVT 03-17-2012 05:54 PM

I just realised the camaro isnt as popular as I thought. In 1994 I bought my first Camaro and 119,799 Camaros were sold without a Transformers movie. That car is ugly too , At the time I loved it though especially with a procharged Lt4 355 !

At the time I bought it because it was a corvette with rear seats , 6 speed lt1:)
The new car looks way better and so does the so called Ugly Mustang! Yes the Camaro is a better looking car but just because Jennifer Anderson is hotter than my girlfriend , that doesnt mean she is ugly :) In my opinion the 2005 Stang is way better looking than a 4th gen Camaro but it doesnt hold a candle to the latest ZL1.

I may own a Ford today but a Camaro is in my future again :) Im a car guy and I just love cars!

There is no way the Mustang is ugly!

HaubSS 03-17-2012 06:24 PM

IMO, if you want to watch this model die (again) do a second generation retro look. I strongly believe that this would absolutly be the end of an era for the Camaro.

I love the look of the Gen2, 70-73 is actually my fav body style ever, but that is not the answer here.

As it has been stated many times before, This car with slight redesign cues, on the ATS platform with the same LS3 heart would be so invigorating for this line. Exactly what the brass needs to do, ensure they reignite the appeal with the Gen6.

Nothing about the 2015 model year can, or should, look like an afterthought. The fans will spot it, magazines will tear it apart and the sales will show exactly what we fear. The death of our Camaro. GM has some of the best designers in thier pocket, need to tap the resources within the company and ensure this redesign is the most thought out design ever.

I feel this redesign is even more crucial to the company than the C7 Corvette. GM, AL, Scott, I have faith gentlemen just like everyone else on here. Please listen to the fans and supporters, we love the brand and model just as much as you do.

shaftburn28 03-18-2012 01:22 AM

6th Gen should bring back T-tops! I am in love with my 2011 2ss but still miss the T-tops my 82 Trans am had

PQ 03-18-2012 01:33 AM

:facepalm:

If it weren't for he V6s these cars would have died out long ago. Mustang AND Camaro/Firebird.

PercyJWellingtonIII 03-18-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Maro Demon (Post 4646919)

The ball is totally in Oppenhiemers court. Will he volley it back or slap it out of bounds?? Just remember Oppenhiemer..if it fails its ALL on you and I may be looking a Mustangs next.:drool:

PercyJWellingtonIII 03-18-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieSVT (Post 4662002)
I just realised the camaro isnt as popular as I thought. In 1994 I bought my first Camaro and 119,799 Camaros were sold without a Transformers movie. That car is ugly too , At the time I loved it though especially with a procharged Lt4 355 !

At the time I bought it because it was a corvette with rear seats , 6 speed lt1:)
The new car looks way better and so does the so called Ugly Mustang! Yes the Camaro is a better looking car but just because Jennifer Anderson is hotter than my girlfriend , that doesnt mean she is ugly :) In my opinion the 2005 Stang is way better looking than a 4th gen Camaro but it doesnt hold a candle to the latest ZL1.

I may own a Ford today but a Camaro is in my future again :) Im a car guy and I just love cars!

There is no way the Mustang is ugly!

Well shitz...go back to the 60s when they were sellling 240k of them a year. And mustang was still out selling them.

Cam#7 03-18-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaftburn28 (Post 4663604)
6th Gen should bring back T-tops! I am in love with my 2011 2ss but still miss the T-tops my 82 Trans am had

If the Gen6 took some Gen2 styling high lights like the no rear side glass and wrap around back glass, it could have a T-top option and improve visibilty.

Remember the Gen5 was designed with having a convertible.