Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   How long does M6 clutch last? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583576)

Valkyrie14 10-24-2020 07:08 AM

How long does M6 clutch last?

I just turned 80,000 miles. I am planning a cam this spring and trying to plan around what other upgrades I need. Doing some suspension work too. The cam should easily put me in the 600-640 rwhp.

I have been hearing some additional noise when I shift lately. When I am getting on it I have to jam it from 2cd into 3rd.

When would I expect to replace my clutch normally?

When does a dual clutch make sense?

Firefighter 10-24-2020 07:50 AM

Personally I wouldn't do all you're talking about without doing a new clutch. Now that your at 80K and at the power levels you're talking it's a must, especially with the signs and symptoms you're describing.

I'm in basically the same situation my intentions are to go with the Monster LT1-S it should handle my planned power and still have reasonable DD characteristics.

Also while you have the trans out there's a couple of upgrades you can do one being adding a bearing in the tailshaft and there's a bronze shift cup, plus get the remote bleeder and the upgraded throw out set up.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

Valkyrie14 10-24-2020 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter (Post 10890880)
Personally I wouldn't do all you're talking about without doing a new clutch. Now that your at 80K and at the power levels you're talking it's a must, especially with the signs and symptoms you're describing.

I'm in basically the same situation my intentions are to go with the Monster LT1-S it should handle my planned power and still have reasonable DD characteristics.

Also while you have the trans out there's a couple of upgrades you can do one being adding a bearing in the tailshaft and there's a bronze shift cup, plus get the remote bleeder and the upgraded throw out set up.

These sound great, I have no idea what those are. Must admit in the past I have not messed with trannies at all. Engines, those I understand. Transmissions are a new adventure for me. I don’t know how big of a clutch I will need for 650hp.

Firefighter 10-24-2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 (Post 10890903)
These sound great, I have no idea what those are. Must admit in the past I have not messed with trannies at all. Engines, those I understand. Transmissions are a new adventure for me. I don’t know how big of a clutch I will need for 650hp.

These are all simple mods without need for any tear down. If you go to the monster site they have them rated by power.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Vegas Bound 10-24-2020 09:44 AM

I went through 2 high performance clutches within 9000 miles. Swapped to 4L80e.

Valkyrie14 10-24-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Firefighter 10-24-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 (Post 10890960)

If you do some searching here there's a few threads. If you talk to the Tick Performance guys they'll lead you in the right direction.

Valkyrie14 10-24-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter (Post 10891008)
If you do some searching here there's a few threads. If you talk to the Tick Performance guys they'll lead you in the right direction.

Thanks, you mentioned Tick. I’m starting with their clutch reservoir.

eLeSthree 11-24-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

LT1-S? Aren't you the guy with the F1a-94? Dude the LT1-S didnt last in my buddys P1SC car making 800. If I were you, Id get the LT1-SC triple. Drives excellent, holds anything.

dreksnot 11-24-2020 09:53 AM

My second LT1-S lasted 18 months.... Really considering the LT1-SC but Monster tries to talk me out of it. I guess because I street the car 99.9% of the time.

Firefighter 11-24-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eLeSthree (Post 10907679)
LT1-S? Aren't you the guy with the F1a-94? Dude the LT1-S didnt last in my buddys P1SC car making 800. If I were you, Id get the LT1-SC triple. Drives excellent, holds anything.

No, you've got me confused with someone else. I'm just Heads/Cam and bolt ons.

eLeSthree 11-24-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter (Post 10907792)
No, you've got me confused with someone else. I'm just Heads/Cam and bolt ons.

Sorry, my bad.

eLeSthree 11-24-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreksnot (Post 10907778)
My second LT1-S lasted 18 months.... Really considering the LT1-SC but Monster tries to talk me out of it. I guess because I street the car 99.9% of the time.

I assume you were discussing the SC twin? The SC Triple has excellent street manors.

dreksnot 11-24-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eLeSthree (Post 10907858)
I assume you were discussing the SC twin? The SC Triple has excellent street manors.

Talking about the Triple supposedly good up to 1150whp. The Twin is supposedly good up to 700whp. LT1-SC Triple up to 1500whp. I've learned that ratings are just numbers and your results may vary (actually, will vary). I do enjoy the street manners of the LT1-S Triple and it's very easy to drive in traffic or in a parking lot. No problems there other than the clutch currently in the car is noisier when the pedal is depressed. The other two I had were pretty quiet until getting worn (got noisier as they wore). It's been difficult trying to find the "best" clutch for the job. I wanna street, I wanna drag, I want my cake and eat it too.