CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Why such a hurry for the 6th gen? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272700)

PoorMansCamaro 07-24-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6570282)
The guy who designed the 5th gen works for Audi now.

south korea representin!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....sangyuplee.jpg

PQ 07-24-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danl (Post 6801909)
totally agree!
I drive to LA today from Redlands, ( 70 miles one way, 140 round trip )
and saw a total of:

3- 5th gen Camaros,
100- mus-tangs, ( hahaha...UGLY )
0 - challengers, and
1 - vette

Wow. I guess all of the rich pretentious pricks are here in Alabama. I see more Vettes down here than Camaros almost. hahahhaa

redleader 07-24-2013 09:09 AM

I'd like to think that the next Design would be Radical, not just a Make-Over.

It's not like we care too much about Economy, Environmentals or Size.

We practically all want to Personalise and MOD.

Body Shell, THE Look is what 'change' will be.

Perhaps we need to find the Designer and our Theme first?

So what Theme, Style, Symbol, Designer would inspire or could Lead us into 2020?

LSXaddict 08-12-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro (Post 6669186)
:word: I'm HIGHLY anticipating the 6th gen, if it turns out to be a turd I'm going to be very disappointed..

If it turns out to be a turd I am going to be very Mustang :iono:

I really think the sucess of the next Gen is going to ride purely on the looks and weight of the car. we all know they have nailed the suspension and powertrain plus I don't see the interior being a problem since they sold so many 5th Gen's with such 'terrible' (according to the press) interiors and They have put out cars with nothing but exceptional interiors as of late. If they can't shed the weight and be around the same weight as the S550 Mustang then it's going to get ugly since the gen mustang will have the IRS.

gen=5 11-02-2013 04:21 AM

I think a lot of the rush as it seems is just conversation started by those with noting else to talk about.I dont think there is a real rush.Most of those with a newer camaro,wont want to take a bath when they either cant sell there 5th gen,or even worse the hit trading it in.. Now those that have the income will buy whatever they want and always have.Those that have the older 2010,2011 since new or dont have a camaro yet will buy it.IMOP. I wont be getting it if it gets too small,I like having a big doorway to get into,and the b pillar thats behind the front seat..unlike a lot of the newer cars I can not get into ..

Jason@JacFab 11-02-2013 05:08 AM

I'm going to bring up a few things I have seen in this thread yet, or on the site either in the general automotive section...

I don't know how credible this short article is, but I've come across this multiple times elsewhere, and not seen it on here yet: http://jalopnik.com/first-1-000-next...14-1-826233500

IF it's true, that means Ford will have an even bigger jump on GM as far as the Mustang VS Camaro war goes. Again. It's not necessarily a bad thing, as it appears that the Mustang is going for that Euro look now? IF it ends up being so Euro that it falls on it's face and no one wants to buy it, this is good news...

In a round about way, this discussion came up on the other 5th gen Camaro forum... Where will we be "power wise" in the future... Well, I believe that EVENTUALLY, it's all going to come to a screaming halt like it did in the 80s. With the CAFE requirements slowly cracking down as the years go on, eventually, we will all be screwed... Looking at the current CAFE requirement chart shown here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpora...r.2C_2011-2025

I'd say our current v8 configuration is good until about 2018, with the release of the new LT1, maybe longer... V6? Looking at the window sticker, it's good until 2021... I know how it works, it's the corporate average fuel economy, so they can crank out a butt load of turbo 4 cylinder Chevettes and keep the average up, I'm just looking at the big picture here. There is still time to fix the things that could have been fixed with the 5th gen, in the 6th gen (ie: weight), and still have it perform BEFORE the $4!7 hits the fan, and all the new car manufacturers are allowed to offer are little clown car economizers to adhere to the CAFE "law" and they all go out of business because no one wants what they have to offer.

In regards to the 2014, I had to opportunity to look at 3 of them this morning for an hour while I got my "free" oil change at the dealer. Counting these 3, this makes 5 I've seen up close, in personal. In my personal opinion, I feel that the paint color on the 2014 refresh can make or break it... The first two I saw, SW 2LS, and BRM 1LS, I loved. Loved everything. Today, I say a Bright Yellow 1LS... HIDEOUS!!!! :barf: Horrible horrible! Red Hot 1SS, I could take or leave. and a black 1LT RS, didn't do much for me. I could have driven home with either the SW, or BRM cars and been perfectly happy.

Anyway, the 6th gen needs to come out before the Gov't starts cracking down on HP... IF the 6th gen is a turd, I'll keep my 2013 v6 for a daily driver, and go shopping for an LS1 Powered 4th gen, an 05-06 GTO, or possibly a G8 GXP, but they are pretty impossible to find...

Doc 11-02-2013 12:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I honestly don't think the 6th gen is going to be anything but the best Camaro ever built... technology-wise. As for the styling, the 2014 refresh had me worried because it just wasn't up to what I thought the Camaro should be. However the Camaro team I'm sure got the message from the response and they're also watching the reaction the public has to the new Stingray.

They'll probably do something that's at least "okay" but I'm hoping for much more. I also hope they don't get too gimmicky and do something like the tail lights on the new Stingray which just look out of place to me; the "running mascara" look at the corners in particular look odd.

I've put in a fair amount of time creating a 3D model of a styling concept of the direction I'd like to see the next gen Camaro go here:

Attachment 571072
Attachment 571073
Attachment 571075
Attachment 571076
Attachment 571074

This is based on the Alpha platform we'll be seeing in the next gen. Here's the link to the design thread for anyone that's interested in seeing how it evolved:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319114

After the amount of time I've spent on my concept while creating it, the current gen is starting to look thick and bulky to me. I want to see cleaner, lighter, thinner elements, precise lines on the next gen. It should be sleeker without being gimmicky. The new Stingray walks a very fine line between exciting styling and being gimmicky. In my opinion the side vent slash and the rear tail lights cross the line at being a little too trendy, but it's not enough to ruin the car. It's an exciting car.

The next gen Camaro should be exciting too. Sleek, fast-looking, powerful-looking, classy-looking. I hope that's the direction they're going and not thick, bulky, comic-book trendy/gimmicky.

wakespeak 11-02-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 (Post 7149958)
I'm going to bring up a few things I have seen in this thread yet, or on the site either in the general automotive section...

I don't know how credible this short article is, but I've come across this multiple times elsewhere, and not seen it on here yet: http://jalopnik.com/first-1-000-next...14-1-826233500

IF it's true, that means Ford will have an even bigger jump on GM as far as the Mustang VS Camaro war goes. Again. It's not necessarily a bad thing, as it appears that the Mustang is going for that Euro look now? IF it ends up being so Euro that it falls on it's face and no one wants to buy it, this is good news...

In a round about way, this discussion came up on the other 5th gen Camaro forum... Where will we be "power wise" in the future... Well, I believe that EVENTUALLY, it's all going to come to a screaming halt like it did in the 80s. With the CAFE requirements slowly cracking down as the years go on, eventually, we will all be screwed... Looking at the current CAFE requirement chart shown here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpora...r.2C_2011-2025

I'd say our current v8 configuration is good until about 2018, with the release of the new LT1, maybe longer... V6? Looking at the window sticker, it's good until 2021... I know how it works, it's the corporate average fuel economy, so they can crank out a butt load of turbo 4 cylinder Chevettes and keep the average up, I'm just looking at the big picture here. There is still time to fix the things that could have been fixed with the 5th gen, in the 6th gen (ie: weight), and still have it perform BEFORE the $4!7 hits the fan, and all the new car manufacturers are allowed to offer are little clown car economizers to adhere to the CAFE "law" and they all go out of business because no one wants what they have to offer.

In regards to the 2014, I had to opportunity to look at 3 of them this morning for an hour while I got my "free" oil change at the dealer. Counting these 3, this makes 5 I've seen up close, in personal. In my personal opinion, I feel that the paint color on the 2014 refresh can make or break it... The first two I saw, SW 2LS, and BRM 1LS, I loved. Loved everything. Today, I say a Bright Yellow 1LS... HIDEOUS!!!! :barf: Horrible horrible! Red Hot 1SS, I could take or leave. and a black 1LT RS, didn't do much for me. I could have driven home with either the SW, or BRM cars and been perfectly happy.

Anyway, the 6th gen needs to come out before the Gov't starts cracking down on HP... IF the 6th gen is a turd, I'll keep my 2013 v6 for a daily driver, and go shopping for an LS1 Powered 4th gen, an 05-06 GTO, or possibly a G8 GXP, but they are pretty impossible to find...

The CAFE affect will be interesting. The Gen6 (and Gen5) may go up in value as the new model options get less appealing, ie no more V-8.

Jason@JacFab 11-02-2013 01:05 PM

Doc,

While I can certainly appreciate the amount of time, and effort your put into you 3d model of "the 6th gen".... I would not buy that car based on looks. From looking at it it looks like a slightly modified 2014 front end from the windshield forward, and a c7 vette from there back.

I wish I had the time/energy to make an attempt at a 6th gen render, but alas, I do not, so I commend you!

I'm holding onto my '13 until I see the official 6th gen, and at which-point, I will either jump ship all together, or go back and buy an 01-02 4th gen, an 05-06 GTO, or a G8 gxp, and it will be the end of my new car experience all together.

Doc 11-02-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 (Post 7150707)
Doc,

While I can certainly appreciate the amount of time, and effort your put into you 3d model of "the 6th gen".... I would not buy that car based on looks. From looking at it it looks like a slightly modified 2014 front end from the windshield forward, and a c7 vette from there back.

I wish I had the time/energy to make an attempt at a 6th gen render, but alas, I do not, so I commend you!

I'm holding onto my '13 until I see the official 6th gen, and at which-point, I will either jump ship all together, or go back and buy an 01-02 4th gen, an 05-06 GTO, or a G8 gxp, and it will be the end of my new car experience all together.

That's fine. My design isn't for everybody but it doesn't have to be in order to be successful. And it would be successful. It has the "family look" and that's intentional. While it doesn't sound like you're a Camaro loyalist, those customers who do feel that way are EXTREMELY loyal and they want a car that looks like a Camaro. My design accomplishes that while advancing the look-and-feel to a more sophisticated level. It's intended to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

I'm going to find pictures of the 2104 Camaro and C7 that have angles I can match on my model and do comparison renders so you can see the actual difference. Because I didn't do over-the-top stying, my design is somewhat deceptive; it's much more of a change than you might think.

And thank you for the compliments. :)

Doc 11-02-2013 06:23 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are some comparison shots of the 2014 refresh Camaro with my concept. I did the best I could to try and figure out the angle and lens used in the photos to come up with something close.

Attachment 571195Attachment 571190
Attachment 571196Attachment 571192
Attachment 571197Attachment 571194

As you can see by the comparison what I've done is sharper, sleeker, crisper and a bit more modern in style which is where I think the Camaro should go if it's going to evolve. I love retro as much as anyone but at some point it should begin to take on a more modern look. With road handling becoming more and more important; especially if horsepower becomes restricted, the Camaro is going to have to evolve into more of a road GT as opposed to strictly a 1/4 mile type of car. That's what I was going for with my concept.

68vert 11-03-2013 01:53 PM

Judging on what is now coming out of GM, I believe we will see a highly improved interior. I think they have really have turned themselves around in this dept.

The C6 Corvette was in production for a looong time, and they still kept the same overall design in the Corvette C7, although every exterior panel has been creased, tweaked, sculpted, widened..etc, to create a 'all new' exterior. This makes me think we have a good chance of seeing the C6 Camaro undergo the same treatment. The C5 Camaro was a great hit, I doubt we will see a totally new shape this soon. (ala 1970 Camaro inspired)

We already know it will be slightly smaller and lighter, and presumably faster across the Camaro line-up. All good things. I have been driving mine since 2009 and I am ready for a C6 Camaro 1LE.

KMPrenger 11-03-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 (Post 7150707)

I'm with you...sort of lol. Of course never know what the future may hold, but if I'm financially able to do one of several options it will come down to looks.

I think all the new pony cars will be performance killers, so I'm not worried about performance.

I think a couple of the different renderings we have seen of the new Mustang are very close based on the good amount of reading I've done, although it may be missing some small details that could make a big difference so I'm holding judgement until December when it is revealed. But so far, it isn't doing anything for me. Its not bad, but I like my Camaro better than these renderings.

If the 6th gen Camaro, or perhaps a new Challenger or Barracuda (which may or may not happen now) don't hit a home run in looks then I'll be looking to take my car all the way with a supercharger, or search long and hard for a used 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic in great condition. At this point I'm pretty much attached to Aqua Blue and I don't think I could get into any other color.

Or the other option is just keep my car as is and love it which I already do lol. Took her out today and had lady and her boyfriend (I presume) stare and point at it, and got other looks as well. What other car still gets this kind of attention after 4 years???

oldfriend 11-03-2013 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doc , you are so close to have it nailed
The front in my opinion , should have a little more rounded edges

oldfriend 11-03-2013 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On the other hand , the spoiler if in Flat Black , and full size all the way across the trunk lid , black wheels , and it's ready for production

Doc 11-03-2013 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfriend (Post 7154220)

When you say rounded do you mean the corners or the actual leading edges?

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfriend (Post 7154235)
On the other hand , the spoiler if in Flat Black , and full size all the way across the trunk lid , black wheels , and it's ready for production

That rear "spoiler" is actually part of the fender as you can see in this snapshot. I am working on a wing for the 1LE and Z/28 that will fit in between the two spoilers.

Attachment 571531

meissen 11-04-2013 07:12 AM

I'm sorry, Doc, I know you have a lot of time and energy into your concept but I think the 2014 Camaro looks 100x better than what the members and you have come up with. I don't mean to be rude, but the front end on yours just looks like a huge air dam - a few openings, but flat and bulky. The sides and rear just looks like someone took sheet metal and forgot to stamp it, flat and boring. Reminds me of the newer Challenger - big straight sheet metal without any style.

lbls1 11-04-2013 08:21 AM

I applaud chevy for not running the 5th gen to the ground. It is time for Chevy to break from their hideous tradition of running a style 6 -10 years, and get back to generating excitement into a brand and model. Chevy's golden period (1960's thru 1980) brought success to their brand IMO due in part to their creative designs that were introduced to their cars between 2 and 4 years. A sixties Impala (sorry to say) is much more exciting to look at than the last two impalas we've had (2000-'05, and 2006-2013).

I think that chevy is doing well with the camaro, and they should put changes into the model frequently so as to avoid the crash and burn syndrome that doomed the 4th gen. camaro and some other models.

Doc 11-04-2013 10:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by meissen (Post 7155266)
I'm sorry, Doc, I know you have a lot of time and energy into your concept but I think the 2014 Camaro looks 100x better than what the members and you have come up with. I don't mean to be rude, but the front end on yours just looks like a huge air dam - a few openings, but flat and bulky. The sides and rear just looks like someone took sheet metal and forgot to stamp it, flat and boring. Reminds me of the newer Challenger - big straight sheet metal without any style.

Not being rude at all. You are proof of the two rules of automotive design that I've discovered. Rule #1: You can't please everybody. Rule #2: When you think you have a great design, see Rule #1.

I feel exactly the opposite of you; I think the 2014 is thick, bulky, uninspired and boring. What I did with my concept was clean up the lines, make them sharper and more precise, and is actually far more aerodynamic. I pulled inspiration from some very fast, time-honored designs like Ferrari and Porsche:

Ferrari F40:
Attachment 571589
Ferrari 512M:
Attachment 571590
Porsche 917:
Attachment 571591

I could round everything out on my design concept; remove some of the aerodynamics just to see what it would look like. Might be an interesting exercise.

Everybody has their own idea of what looks good and is in and of itself a fascinating study. Some people actually bought a Pontiac Aztek:

Attachment 571597

What looks good to people and why is (to me anyways) one of the amazing mysteries of life, but it also brings variety and keeps everything from looking the same.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

396ssrat 11-04-2013 01:54 PM

Prius

That Aztec is the pre Prius. The 2014 Camaro is a refreshing change from the ugly on the rear end. The back side of the present model Camaro has always been a deal killer for me. I hope Chevy gets the next gen right because the Mustang surely will. Twin Turbo'd engine with stout large bore would be nice.

FenwickHockey65 11-04-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbls1 (Post 7155385)
I applaud chevy for not running the 5th gen to the ground. It is time for Chevy to break from their hideous tradition of running a style 6 -10 years, and get back to generating excitement into a brand and model. Chevy's golden period (1960's thru 1980) brought success to their brand IMO due in part to their creative designs that were introduced to their cars between 2 and 4 years. A sixties Impala (sorry to say) is much more exciting to look at than the last two impalas we've had (2000-'05, and 2006-2013).

I think that chevy is doing well with the camaro, and they should put changes into the model frequently so as to avoid the crash and burn syndrome that doomed the 4th gen. camaro and some other models.

Kinda funny cause the W-body Impala Limited will actually now live on until 2016 according to new reports last week. :laugh:

That's 10 straight years of production. Besides the Corvette's Y-body platform, pretty sure the W-body will be the longest lived platform in GM history.

Doc 11-05-2013 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfriend (Post 7154220)

Here's one rounded. I rounded the front upper fenders and front corners quite a bit. Is this more along the lines of what you had in mind? It looks less like a race car and more like a production car to me but that's not a bad thing by any means.

Attachment 571825

FINALLYSATISFIED 11-05-2013 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 7151370)
Here are some comparison shots of the 2014 refresh Camaro with my concept. I did the best I could to try and figure out the angle and lens used in the photos to come up with something close.

Attachment 571195Attachment 571190
Attachment 571196Attachment 571192
Attachment 571197Attachment 571194

As you can see by the comparison what I've done is sharper, sleeker, crisper and a bit more modern in style which is where I think the Camaro should go if it's going to evolve. I love retro as much as anyone but at some point it should begin to take on a more modern look. With road handling becoming more and more important; especially if horsepower becomes restricted, the Camaro is going to have to evolve into more of a road GT as opposed to strictly a 1/4 mile type of car. That's what I was going for with my concept.

The rear end looks promising. The front end however looks outdated and reminds of me of the video game Crusin USA.

lbls1 11-05-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 7156823)
Kinda funny cause the W-body Impala Limited will actually now live on until 2016 according to new reports last week. :laugh:

That's 10 straight years of production. Besides the Corvette's Y-body platform, pretty sure the W-body will be the longest lived platform in GM history.

Really? Kind of sad if this is true. GM may not want to let go of the fleet sales so it could be their reasoning for continuing to produce the W-Body Impala "classic".

Jason@JacFab 11-16-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 7154054)
I'm with you...sort of lol. Of course never know what the future may hold, but if I'm financially able to do one of several options it will come down to looks.

I think all the new pony cars will be performance killers, so I'm not worried about performance.

I think a couple of the different renderings we have seen of the new Mustang are very close based on the good amount of reading I've done, although it may be missing some small details that could make a big difference so I'm holding judgement until December when it is revealed. But so far, it isn't doing anything for me. Its not bad, but I like my Camaro better than these renderings.

If the 6th gen Camaro, or perhaps a new Challenger or Barracuda (which may or may not happen now) don't hit a home run in looks then I'll be looking to take my car all the way with a supercharger, or search long and hard for a used 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic in great condition. At this point I'm pretty much attached to Aqua Blue and I don't think I could get into any other color.

Or the other option is just keep my car as is and love it which I already do lol. Took her out today and had lady and her boyfriend (I presume) stare and point at it, and got other looks as well. What other car still gets this kind of attention after 4 years???

I test drove a new 08 Mustang GT/CS once... The amount of issues that arose on that one test drive will make me never want to buy a new Mustang, unless it looks so amazing that I can't help myself.

I love ABM, but didn't want to put the effort into finding one in the beginning... If I don't like what I see in the future, I may got back and try to find a 10 ABM SS... I'd also love to have something similar to a Rally Green, or Fathom Green, yet all I'm offered is radioactive neon green... Not my cup of tea, but as mentioned previously, you can't please everybody.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 7158123)
Here's one rounded. I rounded the front upper fenders and front corners quite a bit. Is this more along the lines of what you had in mind? It looks less like a race car and more like a production car to me but that's not a bad thing by any means.

Attachment 571825

Wow, for some reason, although it may sound stupid that all it took was for you to round the front end edges... I really like that front end now... I would almost consider buying it now... But from the windshield back, the body lines still scream "Corvette" in my head, and since you posted a pic of the f40, all I can see in my head now is Camaro front end, with Corvette sides and rear, with an F40 roofline... You're getting close to pleasing me ;) But like you said, you can't please everybody.