CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   6th Gen Camaro: What We Know... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124819)

Mr. Wyndham 01-19-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 2746414)
This was posted elsewhere, but thought it fit nicely here:

2014 ATS engine spec sheet (of course I can't say it is "confirmed")
http://www.motorauthority.com/image/...ats-spec-sheet

Dang, that's fun to read. :laugh:

Cam#7 03-23-2011 01:06 PM

There's an updated article on Motor Trends website in regards to the Alpha platform for the CTS and Camaro Gen6. Sounds like the Gen5 will be around a few more years.

www.motortrend.com

1BADLS3 03-23-2011 01:24 PM

I think that adding extra gears to cars has done good things for overall performance and efficiency, but at some point it starts taking away from the driving experience. I think 7 different ratios is borderline "too much." --let alone some of the 8-speed boxes that are coming out.

Our other daily driver is a 2010 Audi S4 with a 7-speed DSG 'automatic'. All the car does is shift. It's in 5th gear by 30mph, and any slightly spirited depression of the gas pedal will cause it to grab the next lower gear.

Sport mode will holds gears a little longer, but when you floor it, it's like a little scene unfolds. The old, bearded wizard inside the transmission has to put on his glasses, set the box of gears down, and sort for the correct one. Once he finds it, you better hold on, but in those deciding moments, to be honest, it feels a little sloppy and delayed, and normal driving is almost tiring with the number of gear changes you feel.

Toyaholic 03-23-2011 01:25 PM

Yeah... and will they call it the Camaro 2 (kinda like the Mustang 2)?

Listen to us... lighter NOT smaller!

Blade 03-23-2011 02:25 PM

If there will be no v6, then we got ourselves a classic :thumbsup:

Mr. Wyndham 03-23-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam#7 (Post 2999694)
There's an updated article on Motor Trends website in regards to the Alpha platform for the CTS and Camaro Gen6. Sounds like the Gen5 will be around a few more years.

www.motortrend.com

The May 2011 issue was a good read. But considering how off that info was compared to the Feb 2011 information...I think it goes to show Motortrend doesn't know anything for sure...kinda liked weathermen...:laugh:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toyaholic (Post 2999768)
Yeah... and will they call it the Camaro 2 (kinda like the Mustang 2)?

That's like asking to fly a plane without wings...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 2999988)
If there will be no v6, then we got ourselves a classic :thumbsup:

...and a complete failure. :facepalm:

thePill 03-23-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toyaholic (Post 2999768)

Amen to that, GM will used the same weight saving materials they used in the Volt. By then though, the entire chassis could be made that way. It will atleast let GM keep a similar wheelbase/track without deleting interior room.

GM is in the same position that Ford is in with the Mustang, with a wide V8, it becomes incredibly difficult to reduce track. Even if the track stays the same, wheelbase would have to remain similar to what it is now or risk looking unproportioned (square).

1o.f00t.570rk 03-23-2011 06:41 PM

And guys, don't worry about the noise, can always just use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/SoundRacer-SRV.../dp/B0037CIIGQ

It sounds just like the real thing!*

*Does not actually sound like real thing.

In all honesty though, Formula 1's currently use what, 2.4L V8's? Rev to 18~19k? While it is a different sound, I for one would welcome the scream of a high-revving small displacement V8, even if they were detuned to a max of 9~10k for reliability purposes.

Heck, in 2013 F1 is supposed to be going to 1.4L 4 cylinder engines.

Here's a "what-if" scenario that I like: What if Chevy entered into F1 with an engine and then used the 6g Camaro platform with a detuned version of the same engine as a way to recover development costs? You'd have an engine which had at least 3 years of hardcore racing development behind it already, designed for reliability and performance in arguably one of the most prestigious road racing series around. That'd be pretty win-win in my book. :D

Mr. Wyndham 03-23-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1o.f00t.570rk (Post 3001072)
Here's a "what-if" scenario that I like: What if Chevy entered into F1 with an engine and then used the 6g Camaro platform with a detuned version of the same engine as a way to recover development costs? You'd have an engine which had at least 3 years of hardcore racing development behind it already, designed for reliability and performance in arguably one of the most prestigious road racing series around. That'd be pretty win-win in my book. :D

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...v/1112_IRL_Ann

I don't like high-strung, low-torque engines...but I did remember this article when you brought up F1. :)

Kurushio 03-23-2011 07:09 PM

A 7 speed would make it kinda harder to get into 5th gear every time and would be alot of work really lol. For an auto i guess 7-8 wouldnt be too bad and could help out with gas but would also be annoying on tight turns going up and down hills.

macc24 03-23-2011 07:37 PM

Could I see my L99 engine in a car weighing 500-800 lbs less? Oh yes I can!!! I'm thinking 0-60 in about 4.3 seconds....

10spokess 03-23-2011 07:45 PM

I drove an RX-8 which rev's as high as the sky but man it was so boring when you floored it. Its like wow the speedometer moves but it doesnt feel like I am. Please don't make it to high reving and remember Bigger is sometimes better

The_Blur 03-23-2011 07:52 PM

We know the 6th generation Camaro will be a Chevy. That's about it.

jshaf 03-23-2011 07:58 PM

like the idea of a slightly smaller Camaro, significantly smaller.....no. and the thought of a 4 cylinder camaro aint doing it for me. worst thing they can do is to price out the general public, me personally I can not afford the high end model and eliminated the V-6 would very likely eliminate me as a camaro owner. I hate to think of that happening.