CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Official: 6th Gen Camaro Production to Move to U.S. Lansing Grand River Plant (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266635)

United_727 12-19-2012 12:06 PM

Yet they import the E-body Caprice from Autralia...

el ess A 12-19-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 5934957)
The shift is likely to occur within a few years.

:iono: They need to hurry up unless they're going to delay the next gen. Few usually means 3, maybe 4. The '15s, if it's the next gen and falls in line with regular production schedules, should be in production in about 1.6 years.

More info needed on this one.

Angrybird 12 12-19-2012 12:20 PM

They may also be anticipating a higher demand for the Impala and will want to increase the capacity for its production in Oshawa. Or they did say at one time eventually the SS would be built over here instead of importing it from Australia.

RJT Impala 12-19-2012 12:35 PM

I'm kinda partial to Oshawa builds. My last four vehicles were born there--Camaro, 2 Impalas, and a Grand Prix. All were (are) outstanding quality! Quality is a "learned" process and can be transferred. Hope GM keeps Oshawa at the forefront.

Ajax Inferno 12-19-2012 12:49 PM

I'm sad to see the move of Camaro out of Oshawa. I live a couple kilometers from the plant. it was awesome to drive by the lot where the cars are parked waiting to have the stripes applied... see some of the first production runs of the ZL1 drive by. When I drive by in my SS there's a lot of pride!

There are valid and logical reasons for the move into the US. Though I'm sure many Canadian workers here feel it's just the same old "American Jobs Now" mentality of the corporation. I'm hopeful the incoming product lines into Oshawa will keep the workers going here. We need the jobs as much as anyone else.

I'm happy to see the US workers getting the needed jobs as well, believe me. We all need it!! I'm sure the workers will put as much pride into the 6th Gen Camaro coming up as the workers in Oshawa have with the 5th generation. I've talked to several and they are beaming with pride.

Heck my 2011 Cruze is made in OH and I can't say anything bad about my daily driver. It rocks too!

So please ladies and gentlemen, no bashing or bragging as I've seen in prior posts.... Camaro is and continues to be a fantastic car, no mater where it's made.... it's made with pride!

montreal2010yellow 12-19-2012 12:57 PM

I'm a Canadian and I regret this decision. I'm proud to own a Canadian built Camaro. I visited the plant in 2011 and we felt that the empoyes where very proud of their plant. But as the economy changes all of the time, I can't be against that. As long as they keep the Oshawa plant live, their role is to build cars. GM closed Ste-Therese Camaro-Firebird plant in 2002 and we lost thousands of jobs because of that closing and our Quebec economy suffered from that decision. The plant land is now a huge shopping center, but it does'nt generate the same amount of $$$ in our economy. Goverments saved GM from a bankruptcy with our taxes, I would have prefered that my taxes would have stayed in Canada. Buy Amerian,,,,,

velocity149 12-19-2012 12:57 PM

damn, that really sucks! I am really proud that the Camaro has been made in Oshawa for the run of the 5th gen, and was just talking to my friend the other day about going to the plant to se my 6th gen made when they are released and mine was ordered. This is probably going to destroy oshawa, as it looks like the Camaro is the leading car made here, and by the looks of the lots when theya re full, they are probably 70% camaros at any given time. damn, this is a nut shot to oshawa! :(

velocity149 12-19-2012 01:00 PM

and the old Oshawa truck plant... took away the sierra from us, and now it's a costco... what next?

MyIBMssRS 12-19-2012 01:23 PM

About time. I'm tired of hearing those overpaid Oshawa workers act like they're so high and mighty for watching machines build our cars. Oh, please give me a poster with some union workers name on it because they watched a machine tighten my lug nuts. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to buy my American made 50th anniversary 2017 Gen 6.

daveagogo1 12-19-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyIBMssRS (Post 5935287)
About time. I'm tired of hearing those overpaid Oshawa workers act like they're so high and mighty for watching machines build our cars. Oh, please give me a poster with some union workers name on it because they watched a machine tighten my lug nuts. :rolleyes:

I'm going to take a stab and guess you posted this with something other than a pre GUI OS system.

The sole purpose of that GUI is to make it easier. You can do many of the same functions without it. Same as building cars.

To each their own.

Verbolten 12-19-2012 01:33 PM

American workers are underpaid ????

AlohaBR 12-19-2012 01:33 PM

YES! Right around the corner from me!!
Oshawa did an OUTSTANDING job and I have no doubt they will continue.
Like it said it is a consolidation where the RWD Cadillac and Camaro will be built.

detamble13 12-19-2012 01:42 PM

As a Canadian this hurts... but at least it's not going to Mexico, although geographically it's now a little bit closer.
I know our American cousins can build just as good of a product and I wonder if this will improve sales in the states. Do people overlook an American pony car because it's built in Canada? Based on sales you wouldn't think so but they'll definitely be able to use this as an advertising tool to their biggest market.

Mr. Wyndham 12-19-2012 01:44 PM

Thoughts shared with us straight from John Fitzpatrick, and Al Oppenheiser from the Camaro Team:
Added to the OP

Quote:

Today, GM announced that production of the next-generation Camaro will move from Oshawa Assembly to Lansing, Mich. This will inevitably raise some questions and speculation about what the announcement means for the future of Camaro.

For now, we can tell you that it does mean Chevrolet is committed to the Camaro, and we are already planning for the arrival of the sixth-generation car. It does not mean we are ready to announce the timing of the next-generation, or to confirm any details about a future Camaro.

Introduced as a 2010 model year, the fifth-generation Camaro still continues to be a success thanks to fans like you -- and we are not done yet. This year alone, we launched the Camaro ZL1 coupe and convertible, the Camaro 1LE, and introduced the Camaro Hot Wheels edition. We still have more news to come, and expect the fifth-generation Camaro, built by the team in Oshawa, will continue to bring new people to the Camaro community.

Thanks for your support, and we look forward to sharing more Camaro news with you in the future.

Al Oppenheiser
Camaro Chief Engineer

John Fitzpatrick
Camaro Marketing Manager

Don't think of this as "good news" or "bad news"...rather...a change. According to the GM press release: A simple matter of a good business case for consolidating common cars for ease and cost of production! :clap:

Bottom line, IMO...1) we've still got years before this had any effect on us at all, and 2) GM & Chevy is "committed to Camaro"...but hey - it does feel good to know that Camaro will be built once more, after a loooong time, in the United States. :thumbsup:

Mr. Wyndham 12-19-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by velocity149 (Post 5935218)
damn, that really sucks! I am really proud that the Camaro has been made in Oshawa for the run of the 5th gen, and was just talking to my friend the other day about going to the plant to se my 6th gen made when they are released and mine was ordered. This is probably going to destroy oshawa, as it looks like the Camaro is the leading car made here, and by the looks of the lots when theya re full, they are probably 70% camaros at any given time. damn, this is a nut shot to oshawa! :(

Oshawa will be fine. :thumbsup: They build far more other cars than Camaros...and are apparently, destined to get some more.

They're not done, yet...and I'm certainly not saying goodbye so soon - they're doing GREAT! :)

CamaroSkooter 12-19-2012 01:48 PM

It's not like they won't be welcome at any future Camaro meets :)

greenrail 12-19-2012 01:52 PM

Actually, this makes a lot of sense since the ATS is produced at Grand River. My guess is GM will expand production of another vehicle at Oshawa. They do excellent workthere.

woodside783 12-19-2012 01:53 PM

It said in the post that they are not doing away with the plant the camaro will not be made there the 6th gen

mattsfirstSS 12-19-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyIBMssRS (Post 5935287)

LOL because it will be sooo different here in Merica where we dont have unions or an undeserved sense of entitlement....oh wait...

LAWMAN 12-19-2012 02:05 PM

i feel like some others on here,i think it is due to the new alpha platform,i too am proud of mine that was built in Canada

KILLER74Z28 12-19-2012 02:07 PM

Much respect goes out to the Oshawa plant for the outstanding job they do every day... I have a Camaro that I will cherish for the rest of my life. :canada:

As for the 6th Gen Camaro to now be built back int U.S. :flag1: :happyanim:

meissen 12-19-2012 02:08 PM

Condolences to those in Canada as I'm sure it's a loss of something everyone there was proud of, but admittedly I'm very excited at the news. I've always dreamed about touring the Camaro plant and seeing the Camaros go down the line but because it was in Canada that was never an option (darn borders!). I look forward to the production moving to Lansing but I will say that I hope the outstanding pride, commitment, and passion for the Camaro that the Oshawa team has shown will be passed on to the Lansing team when the next-gen Camaro production begins.

b4z 12-19-2012 02:19 PM

The confirms it! 100% Alpha.

v6sonoma 12-19-2012 02:22 PM

Not sure how I feel about this. I feel bad for Oshawa because I feel it's a great source of pride for them. Not that they don't take pride in the other cars they build but the Camaro is special. I know I would love to be the guy that could point to one and say "I put the fenders on that." or "I installed that cars dash." They've done a great job over the years and have been very close to our community.

It does however make more sense for GM to consolidate the cars that are using the alpha platform all under one roof and I know SOME people out there would much rather have it be made in the USA.

I'm proud of my Canada Camaro. Even if it does have a strange way of steering me towards hockey rinks and changes the radio to play clips of the Red Green show on it's own.

:canada:

b4z 12-19-2012 02:26 PM

current cts is sigma. ats is alpha. 2014 cts will be alpha. this makes sense.
keep in mind that lansing used to make cts, sts and srx(all sigma) they need to beuild 3 cars there.