CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Why would anyone want a 4 cylinder 2016 camaro (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275580)

onewaydave 03-06-2014 11:11 AM

Well, everyone wants to loose 200lbs in the Camaro. That's one way to do it! Lol

lbls1 03-06-2014 11:23 AM

Take a good look at the current v8 offerings. All or most of them are (starting) at or near 40k as is. Its very easy to get even the base SS and Mustang GT over 40k in price with a few options.

Its a sign of the changing climate that the v8s will become a very selective and expensive option for those that will desire it in the years ahead.

revychevy 03-06-2014 11:33 AM

I didn't intend to get in a pissing match with Fen, the reading comprehension cracks just rubbed me the wrong way.

On this entire thread we've talked about the capabilities of the 4 cylinder and the Ramifications of CAFE.

Many people have lauded the capabilities of the four cylinder turbo engine as if it's the mightiest, sweetest sounding thing to ever grace an engine bay. I disagree.

Others have said we have no choice CAFE will take V8 engines away -- or at least out of reach. I lament this, and agree to the strong possibility.

Others have said, why worry, they aren't putting a gun to your head and making you buy the 4 banger.

To this I say that Govt regulation that purposely makes V8s go away IS a gun to my head . They will tax and regulate the industry to NUDGE you into buying the cars they want.

Then they will remove your choice to do it at all. ( that's why I can't smoke my cigar anywhere including the store where I buy them!)

They will eventually get around to making all American cars sporty little 4 banger hatchbacks and ultra expensive luxury and sport cars.

Then some politician with a hot button issue will decide that only electric cars should be on the road and that the internal combustion engine should be outlawed for causing global warming or some such.

I think ( call me crazy). That if they change these cars to "sporty turbo 4 hatchbacks" that we will lose what makes them unique. fait accompli.

revychevy 03-06-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 7473544)
Again you keep saying you won't buy GM if they price them too high. Again I say it's not going to be just GM but ALL manufacturers. So does that mean you just won't buy from GM or not from anyone?

That's exactly what I mean. If my choices in my price range are sporty hatchbacks like Hondas or bland Eco sedans like Toyotas-- and nobody is making the American muscle I want affordable, I might as well buy the Honda!

What I'm saying is don't get rid of what makes American cars great, cause I and I'm sure others don't want a Chevy Camry or a Ford Accord.

FenwickHockey65 03-06-2014 12:02 PM

You're acting as if turbo 4s will completely replace V8s. That's not what's happening at all. If turbo 4s are replacing anything, it's the V6 actually.

We still can't get a 4-cylinder to V8 levels of power without a lot of engineering and technology (which costs money). So the V8 is safe for the foreseeable future.

revychevy 03-06-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 7473722)
You're acting as if turbo 4s will completely replace V8s. That's not what's happening at all. If turbo 4s are replacing anything, it's the V6 actually.

We still can't get a 4-cylinder to V8 levels of power without a lot of engineering and technology (which costs money). So the V8 is safe for the foreseeable future.

Maybe you are right Fen, and I hope so my friend but when I think of all the people who claim turbo 4's are getting 300+ HP and 300+ TQ and then I look at my wife's 2010 Mustang GT and realize that it has 315HP and less TQ, I think a smaller Mustang with a 2 liter turbo 4 might get marketed as a GT in the future.

What happens when they they make the CAFE rules do arbitrarily high that nothing but 4 bangers and hybrids can do it?

I think that's what they ( the govt) is after.

FenwickHockey65 03-06-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revychevy (Post 7473798)
Maybe you are right Fen, and I hope so my friend but when I think of all the people who claim turbo 4's are getting 300+ HP and 300+ TQ and then I look at my wife's 2010 Mustang GT and realize that it has 315HP and less TQ, I think a smaller Mustang with a 2 liter turbo 4 might get marketed as a GT in the future.

What happens when they they make the CAFE rules do arbitrarily high that nothing but 4 bangers and hybrids can do it?

I think that's what they ( the govt) is after.

Ah, but then consider a 2014 Mustang GT is over 400 HP now.

It's just progress. V8s will keep getting more and more powerful and so will smaller engines. 10 years from now, a GT might be hitting 500 HP and doing 30 MPG for all we know.

And hybrids aren't always a bad thing. Case in point:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/assets/cms...p=131115_03:09

revychevy 03-06-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 7473823)

It's just progress. V8s will keep getting more and more powerful and so will smaller engines. 10 years from now, a GT might be hitting 500 HP and doing 30 MPG for all we know.

I wish there was a LIKE button.

OldScoolCamaro 03-07-2014 01:15 AM

...does not matter...gas is bad, oil is bad, coal is bad, off shore drilling is bad, fracking is bad, XL pipeline from CA to US is bad....bad American's using such technology. Thing is we are almost energy independent and the nutjobs trying to keep us from doing it in office need to take a hike. So we take a so called high road while the rest of the developing countries...take China for example, dump the enviornment causing much more global harm than us? Futality, at our expense...

HDtech 03-16-2014 02:04 AM

No matter how much HP it has a 4cyl will sound like a 4 cyl.... Lame

Number 3 03-16-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDtech (Post 7498389)
No matter how much HP it has a 4cyl will sound like a 4 cyl.... Lame

Actually there is technology to fix that. It's fake, but I heard a Solstice turbo that was "tuned" electronically to sound like a V8. With this you could make your car sound however you want and never change the exhaust.

But it isn't "genuine" IMO. But it exists.

eymang 03-17-2014 01:11 PM

As Carroll Shelby initially called the Mustang a "secretary's car" maybe the 4 cylinder is a good move for satisfying all economies especially when gas prices go up.

45thAnniversary2SS 03-17-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 7473823)

Saw that gorgeous car on Top Gear. The batteries actually complement the big V8, kicking in a times when it's most needed. AMAZING!

Red Chief 03-19-2014 01:00 AM

Why not the turbocharged V6 from the CTS? 420 hp and 0-60 in 4.4? 16/24 mpg?