CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Official: 6th Gen Camaro Production to Move to U.S. Lansing Grand River Plant (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266635)

efpardo 12-19-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher3134 (Post 5936083)
I just care that it made well. And made by people who love cars.

People in Lansing LOVE cars. :wub:

pincoin 12-19-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toesuf94 (Post 5934748)
It will be nice to see it built stateside again. What happens to Oshawa? Get a new platform on the switchover or are they done up there? It seems that the plant was just redone not too long ago...cannot be obsolete yet can it?

Buicks and Cadillacs will be built there.

FenwickHockey65 12-19-2012 05:38 PM

Epsilon II SWB - Regal
Epsilon II LWB - Impala, XTS
Theta II - Equinox

Plenty to keep Oshawa busy.

Mr. Wyndham 12-19-2012 05:45 PM

Is Equinox there permanently?

FenwickHockey65 12-19-2012 05:49 PM

As far as I know.

oners2nv 12-19-2012 05:50 PM

Im really dissappointed that they are relocating. Oshawa has gained a very good reputation for building cars in that plant, so relocating the camaro for the 6th generation caught me by surprise . I understand that the majority of the camaros are sold in the united states so that may be a huge benefit to gm but i really hope that the quality of the car still remains. Only time will tell.

ronss 12-19-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshaf (Post 5936054)
my dad owned a copper colored 1970 442, 455 ci V8, that thing was a beast:thumbsup:

Here's a story for ya , my brother who worked at the olds plant during that time bought a 1970 442 burnt orange with white stripes also,a 455 ci employees then use to be able to buy direct and get a decent discount, but the coolest part was that they let him watch his car being built as it went down the assembly line,followed it all the way to final assembly got in and started it ,he drove around to the parking area where they kept just built cars, so he actually popped cherry on it ,as he was the first to drive it and put about 1/10 of a mile,on it.at the time I was 20 yrs old I thought my bro was the coolest guy ever.(still do) memories of lansing back in the day,we,live in fla now he must have had 35 cars since then most of them chevy muscle..:chevy:

PYROLYSIS 12-19-2012 05:59 PM

Still driving a Canadian built 4th gen as my daily driver and plan on it retaining it's workhorse status when I purchase my '13 or 14' 1LE. I still get compliments on it and I'm caught by suprise everytime. Not because it's a base model V-6 but because all I do is change the oil and wash it from time to time in between routine repairs. After 10 years my old beat up 3800 still runs strong and the paint shines enough to grab my attention. I would love to own my first brand new american built Camaro and my first since my 92 Z28. Don't want to count my chickens just yet though, really love the fifth gen. I am encouraged by the "we're not done" statement reguarding the fifth gen. Who knows what awesomeness is still around the corner? :) :popcorn:

daveagogo1 12-19-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS (Post 5936248)
Still driving a Canadian built 4th gen as my daily driver and plan on it retaining it's workhorse status when I purchase my '13 or 14' 1LE. I still get compliments on it and I'm caught by suprise everytime. Not because it's a base model V-6 but because all I do is change the oil and wash it from time to time in between routine repairs. After 10 years my old beat up 3800 still runs strong and the paint shines enough to grab my attention. I would love to own my first brand new american built Camaro and my first since my 92 Z28. Don't want to count my chickens just yet though, really love the fifth gen. I am encouraged by the "we're not done" statement reguarding the fifth gen. Who know what awesomeness is still around the corner? :) :popcorn:

I'd be jumping on that 13' 1LE. Just sayin ;)

knitetrain05 12-19-2012 06:22 PM

thats good. But watch them mess up the look of the car by cutting weight and such. It looks mean now, watch it go to looking like everything else on the street...hum drum:(

OldScoolCamaro 12-19-2012 06:26 PM

...I'm glad the Camaro is coming back home for the only reason it was made here for the longest time until it was outsourced. Our Canadian neighbors did an admirable job of producing the car after that fact. Thank you Canada. Welcome home Camaro.

PYROLYSIS 12-19-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveagogo1 (Post 5936319)
I'd be jumping on that 13' 1LE. Just sayin ;)

I hear ya. The good news is I should have my 1LE fund at proper capacity right around time that solid information should be available on the 2014s and the 2013s will still be available to order. Holding out just a tiny bit longer for a metallic blue (not BRM).

2xSSRS 12-19-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ackeight (Post 5934713)
I wonder if the right to work laws played a part??

Don't think it hurt them any. :chevy:

jshaf 12-19-2012 07:07 PM

I am ok with production coming back to the US just as long as the build quality is on par with the Osawa plant. they have done a great job and have set the bar pretty high IMO. Like to think the soul of my future black SS is in lansing somewhere :)

THUMPER20X 12-19-2012 07:17 PM

I think its great for the brand. Oshawa had its time and a business made a business decision. Theres definitely a different essence of a U.S. made Camaro. Theyle get another line or something at Oshawa. No worries there. I fin the typical North of 49 whining and media making it sound like the plants closing or something hilarious. Dont pay attention to the crying up here. Just keep the bar high on the next gen and all will be good. Its was born an American car, it was just in foster care for 19 years lol.

2001ragtop 12-19-2012 07:51 PM

If the build quality of the Cadillacs are good in Lansing I don't see why anyone would assume the 2015 Camaro assembly would be "less" as quality as the other RWD cars there.

motorhead 12-19-2012 07:55 PM

Does it really matter were it's built? I'm more worried about what it's going to look like and how it's going to perform.

Steve 12-19-2012 08:32 PM

I hope but am pretty sure the states side folks will do a great job building them just like our friends in Canada do.

Mr. Wyndham 12-19-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 5936644)
Does it really matter were it's built? I'm more worried about what it's going to look like and how it's going to perform.

But where it's built is the hot topic of the day! For now...we're just assuming it'll look hot, and perform awesome. ;)

Fentito5thgen 12-19-2012 08:53 PM

My 5th Gen rocks. I'll be ready for next Gen in about 5 years or so. Until then, Let's enjoy the very well Canadian build Camaro5.

shrinkdoc 12-19-2012 10:05 PM

I have always said...time and time again...that...American Pony cars should always be made on American soil. Build the Sonics in Canada...by the way Sonic is made by Chevy...right?:iono:
I suspect this is do to the Right to Work issue. GM has been trying to get away from unions for years.:drinking:

shrinkdoc 12-19-2012 10:09 PM

This will really add vitality to the Detroit area now. When they begin making them there GM will sell 2,000,000,0000,000 camaros a year!:happyanim:

Fenderaddict2 12-19-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPO F55 (Post 5935812)
To those of us in the industry, this and more moves like it will likely be the norm amongst the big three.

No offense meant towards the fine workers at Oshawa and the high-quality products they produce - they are victims of the economic situation there.

However, the recent CAW contract did nothing to address and indeed actually worsened the disparity of labor costs between Canada and the U.S..

To be specific, Canada is now the highest priced country to produce autos in. Given the CAW's inability to grasp this, (coupled with Ford's quick capitulation to the CAW's demands) the result produced a contract with the big three that did nothing to alleviate this.

To see the exodus start from Canada to the U.S. as well as other, lower cost areas is only natural and expected. A company can't absorb noncompetitive labor costs out of a goodwill intent - you have to go where the costs are more reasonable.

The companies that are involved would certainly not admit this, but the CAW have only theirself to blame for forcing such an unrealistic contract on the big three.

Too true. Happened here before with Goodyear and Boeing to friends and family who refused to believe in the truth and instead put their future in the unions hands.