Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A street legal COPO Camaro can happen. Proof! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457268)

SpookShow'84 06-21-2016 06:46 PM

A street legal COPO Camaro can happen. Proof!

1 Attachment(s)
So cool, some hoops to go through but this guy did it.

http://www.hotrod.com/events/hot-rod...od-power-tour/

Quote:

Attachment 803055

It’s human nature that when you are told you can’t have something, you want it that much more. As you know, the COPO Camaros Chevy has been producing for racing-only the last few years come with no vehicle identification number (VIN) because they are only for racing purposes. To the best of HOT ROD’s knowledge no one has successfully, legally licensed a COPO Camaro. No one until the 2016 Power Tour. Andre Miller, who hales from Pitreville, Louisiana, wanted something new for HOT ROD’s 2016 Drag Week, to participate in the Street Race class. He’s participated three other times with his pickup, painted this same mid-1960s Chevy metallic. Drag Week means it must be street legal. COPO’s aren’t—but Andre thought it would be amusing and enlightening to see if he could make one legal for the street.

There are two types of COPO Camaros manufactured by Chevy. The standard COPO comes as a complete car with engine, transmission, and all the trimmings. Actually, it’s devoid of lots of trimmings like insulation, convenience groups including audio and air conditioning, and replaces the heavier street suspensions with much simpler, lighter suspension components. The other COPO, known as a CRC for “Certified Race Chassis”, is a complete car in white minus an engine or transmission.

The way the vehicle licensing laws in Louisiana work, cars that are constructed are eligible for licensing as a “homebuilt” car. Andre correctly surmised that a COPO Camaro is far better built than many a kit car, and so he proceeded to get the necessary paperwork and approvals in order.

Things like a horn, turn signals, and other mandatory items were installed, along with Vintage Air air conditioning and door locks. Why door locks? Anyone can poke the “Go” button and drive off with a six-figure COPO since the doors have no locks. Andre wanted some insurance that his Camaro would stay as his Camaro.

He bought an assembled 807 HP supercharged LS7 from Edelbrock, along with an ATI TH400 transmission, which is the same automatic all COPOs come delivered with. Just before the 2016 Power Tour Andre got his official VIN from the state of Louisiana, and headed over to Gonzales, Louisiana, as a Power Tour Long Hauler with 6 miles on the odometer. Though some transmission gremlins have plagued the COPO, as of this writing on Day 5 he’s made it as far as Wichita, Kansas, and has logged over 1000 miles averaging over 20 miles per gallon.

Andre has more reason than just Drag Week to dial in this combo. He has purchased four other 2014 CPC COPOs that he wants to convert as time and cha-cha allow. So there you have it: the first legally licensed COPO Camaro.

motorhead 06-21-2016 07:13 PM

Good story. I don't see why you couldn't do that here. Hell there is a dude that has a street legal sprint car here.

SpookShow'84 06-21-2016 07:24 PM

Talk about a rare street car. I've saw a few gen 5 COPO cars at shows, whole new level of cool for a GM fan to be driving one on the power tour.

MovieGuy 06-21-2016 08:26 PM

Street legal COPO Camaro

http://www.hotrod.com/events/hot-rod...tour/#photo-01

MovieGuy 06-21-2016 08:29 PM

OK I just saw the other thread and can't figure out how to delete this one.

MiamiBlueCamaro 06-21-2016 08:39 PM

:threadjacked:

MovieGuy 06-21-2016 08:41 PM

:noidea: I didn't mean to

SpookShow'84 06-21-2016 09:10 PM

Haha. Why is everyone so snippy about the search button. Post cool stuff, it's a board.

Cool story though, I'd love to see one cruising around instead of just parked at an event.

Hypertrophy 06-21-2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpookShow'84 (Post 9164018)
Haha. Why is everyone so snippy about the search button. Post cool stuff, it's a board.

+1 :word:

Hypertrophy 06-21-2016 10:17 PM

Really don't like that color.

Lucely Engineered 06-22-2016 06:40 AM

So he bought a stripped base model built with drag parts for over $100k. He then added things to bring it back to a street legal Camaro. Dont get me wrong, COPOs are cool, i just dont understand why people dont just buy a $20k base model, strip it themselves and put all the parts they really want in there. Then they have a vin number and license plate already.

SpookShow'84 06-22-2016 07:12 AM

I see where you're coming from, but it's like building a hemi cuda clone, it's not the real deal. Limited production, factory race car, GM coolness is off the chart.

MovieGuy 06-22-2016 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hypertrophy (Post 9164102)
Really don't like that color.

You probably wouldn't see the color for very long :)

Fred 6528 06-22-2016 11:59 AM

good story