CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Start / Stop Technology? Just Wondering... (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410656)

suplex 05-31-2015 09:23 AM

Start / Stop Technology? Just Wondering...

As we all know there are cars now that when you pull up to a red light and stop your car, the engine actually turns itself off. Then, when you press on the gas petal to go again, the engine starts and off you go.

I have not heard yet if the 6th Gen Camaro's will have something like that or not, but I really hope they don't...or if they do...that it can be turned on or off according to what the driver prefers.

The reason I was wondering is because I believe the V6 LT's to shut down two of the cylinders when under light throttle so as to save gas and the whole reason for Start / Stop technology is for the same thing.

I just can't imagine it not being very annoying to have your engine turn off and on several times when driving anywhere.

I will say this though, these new Camaro's have a lot in common with Cadillac's and so far I haven't heard of any "Start/Stop" Caddy's yet either.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of it, and what you think of cars that have it.

Thanks for your time.

HDRDTD 05-31-2015 09:42 AM

When I bought my 2015 Malibu. the standard 2.5 4 cyc NA engine DID come with Start/Stop, but the optional 2.0 4cyl turbo does NOT have start/stop, and this is the same turbo 4 that'll be in the new Camaro.

I have no idea about the 6cyl or 8cyl.

Angrybird 12 05-31-2015 09:52 AM

Since cylinder deactivation is mentioned and auto start - stop has not, I am betting it is not on the Camaro.

Geno 05-31-2015 10:51 AM

I would think it would be a real pain in start and stop traffic on a 90 degree day or when the temp was 10 below 0.

Angrybird 12 05-31-2015 10:54 AM

Do these cars have electric Ac compressors? How do you stay cool in traffic if it shuts off the engine every time you stop for more than a few seconds.

suplex 05-31-2015 12:10 PM

These are all great points people are making. It's really about the only car technology I am not crazy about (Start/Stop). I think it's a pretty safe bet the Camaro won't have it, as it would have been somewhere online where they'd be talking about it.

One thing I love that the new Cadillac CT6 is going to have is called "Four Wheel Steering". That's when the back wheels move slightly to the Left if you steer the car to the Right (and Vice Versa), I WISH the Camaro's had that!!!

Stex 05-31-2015 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=suplex;8457405]These are all great points people are making. It's really about the only car technology I am not crazy about (Start/Stop). I think it's a pretty safe bet the Camaro won't have it, as it would have been somewhere online where they'd be talking about it.

One thing I love that the new Cadillac CR6 is going to have is called "Four Wheel Steering". That's when the back wheels move slightly to the Left if you steer the car to the Right (and Vice Versa), I WISH the Camaro's had that!!![/QUOTE]

GMC had that for awhile on their trucks. It was a bust.

FenwickHockey65 05-31-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suplex (Post 8457142)
As we all know there are cars now that when you pull up to a red light and stop your car, the engine actually turns itself off. Then, when you press on the gas petal to go again, the engine starts and off you go.

I have not heard yet if the 6th Gen Camaro's will have something like that or not, but I really hope they don't...or if they do...that it can be turned on or off according to what the driver prefers.

The reason I was wondering is because I believe the V6 LT's to shut down two of the cylinders when under light throttle so as to save gas and the whole reason for Start / Stop technology is for the same thing.

I just can't imagine it not being very annoying to have your engine turn off and on several times when driving anywhere.

I will say this though, these new Camaro's have a lot in common with Cadillac's and so far I haven't heard of any "Start/Stop" Caddy's yet either.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard of it, and what you think of cars that have it.

Thanks for your time.

Supposedly at least one powertrain option was supposed to get start/stop but that appears to have fizzled out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geno (Post 8457260)
I would think it would be a real pain in start and stop traffic on a 90 degree day or when the temp was 10 below 0.

A/C and heat still run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 8457266)
Do these cars have electric Ac compressors? How do you stay cool in traffic if it shuts off the engine every time you stop for more than a few seconds.

Pretty sure they run off the battery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suplex (Post 8457405)
These are all great points people are making. It's really about the only car technology I am not crazy about (Start/Stop). I think it's a pretty safe bet the Camaro won't have it, as it would have been somewhere online where they'd be talking about it.

One thing I love that the new Cadillac CR6 is going to have is called "Four Wheel Steering". That's when the back wheels move slightly to the Left if you steer the car to the Right (and Vice Versa), I WISH the Camaro's had that!!!

CT6, not CR6.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stex (Post 8457779)
GMC had that for awhile on their trucks. It was a bust.

Quadrasteer was priced to high heavens, basically nobody could afford it. Plus it was packaged with either Sierra Denali or Sierra 2500, both of which were already expensive trucks.

Angrybird 12 05-31-2015 06:35 PM

I just read this about the Malibu... Interesting.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...as-2-batteries

vtirocz 05-31-2015 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suplex (Post 8457142)

Thanks for your time.

I was hoping this technology would make it to the 2016 camaro, but it looks like it won't. It seems like a reasonably cheap and effective way to boost fuel economy in city or stop & go type drive cycles.

SuperSound 05-31-2015 08:37 PM

The 8L45 which is to be used for the V6 and T4 has start stop functionality according to the press release several months back. But don't think I saw it mentioned anywhere for the 6th gen. Also most cars have a switch to disable it and the computer will only allow it to operate on certain conditions, hvac settings being one of them. I can tell you I keep mine disabled on my 3 series because I find it annoying.

KMPrenger 05-31-2015 09:39 PM

The LGX V6 has this technology, and as stated above, the 8L45 also supports it, so I wouldn't doubt if the V6 Camaro ends up with it. That said, the Camaro being a sports car, they may just not include it. I'm fine with that....in fact I'd likely rather turn it off anyways.

Denis 06-01-2015 05:38 AM

I stand watch at the gate coming onto base sometimes and these cars will come in with that start/stop thing. the car literally shuts down if its stopped for less than 3 seconds. I cant imagine the wear and tear on that starter motor.

everytime they pull in and out and I hear the car shut down and start back up I think of the repair cost of replacing starters and how little fuel that is actually saving. not to mention the lag from when I want to start driving to when I actually can because the car is off. Also what happens 6 years from now when the car develops a hard start condition? every time you come to a stop the car is going to crank multiple times before you can leave the traffic light? no thanks...

im glad this feature didn't make it onto the 6th gen.

motorhead 06-01-2015 06:41 AM

This has to be the dumbest thing ever thought up for a car. What happens when you go to pull out and it lags or doesn't start at all? How many starters and batteries will these cars go through? Please leave this crap off of any performance car.