Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Quietest differential bushings (not oem) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581930)

DMan918 09-18-2020 05:45 PM

Quietest differential bushings (not oem)

Hi all,

I currently have a set of differential bushings installed in my car and I’m getting a bit of noise. We suspect they are the cause. Haven’t removed yet but they’re red so I’m assuming they may be bmr pros. Either way, I am reading I can’t install oem bushings back in? Is that true even for a professional shop? If so, is the bmr street the closest to stock or is there a bushing that would be even quieter?

Thanks!

Pearlj10 09-18-2020 09:01 PM

Check it:
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578611

DMan918 09-18-2020 09:02 PM

Thank you! I’ll check out the thread!

Sounds like Lingenfelter bushings may be quietest? Whiteline up there as well? Any more thoughts?

Jrichards73 09-19-2020 12:25 AM

Does it clunk when you go into gear? Loose bolt... The differential will twist under load and the clunk is the bolt hitting the top of the slotted hole.

DMan918 09-19-2020 07:02 AM

Thanks,

No I have a really bad howl from 40mph on up. This is while cruising (very light pedal engagement to keep speed).

bottletalk 09-20-2020 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMan918 (Post 10870610)
Thanks,

No I have a really bad howl from 40mph on up. This is while cruising (very light pedal engagement to keep speed).

post a sounclip/vid, worth a million words!

can you make it howl at will! light acceleration or wot?
so far it sounds like a clutch(s) are slipping in the diff,?does it do it with traction control off? try some spray lube on the bushings(don’t know what goes with poly....armor all?) lol, m6 or auto?

DMan918 09-20-2020 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottletalk (Post 10870967)
post a sounclip/vid, worth a million words!

can you make it howl at will! light acceleration or wot?
so far it sounds like a clutch(s) are slipping in the diff,?does it do it with traction control off? try some spray lube on the bushings(don’t know what goes with poly....armor all?) lol, m6 or auto?

I’ll see if I can get a video to capture. I can make the noise at will. Only at light acceleration. This all started after a 4.11 gear install. Pattern is set great and backlash at 9/1000s. My installer was very adamant that install isn’t an issue but it is gear whine of sorts. I have a m6.

To mention, I know some people would want to come in and say install issue but I feel very confident in this shop and the work done so I really don’t think it’s related to gear setup.

I’ll try to get a video today. Thanks for all your help!

On edit:

Here was something I did question though. Note the movement of the right axel. Is that acceptable or is it not fully seated with the lock ring? No leaks.

https://youtu.be/Pb2iHglDQUM

Avenging Orange 09-20-2020 08:34 AM

Mentioning the 4.11's to begin with would've been kinda important. You will always get whine with aftermarket stuff. As you mentioned before...gears plus aftermarket bushings....its gonna be noisy. My stock set whines with the BMR diff bushes.

DMan918 09-20-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avenging Orange (Post 10871032)
Mentioning the 4.11's to begin with would've been kinda important. You will always get whine with aftermarket stuff. As you mentioned before...gears plus aftermarket bushings....its gonna be noisy. My stock set whines with the BMR diff bushes.

Sorry about that. This turned into a diagnostic thread, which I appreciate. Goes to why I want to put stock-like bushings back in. Sounds like that would be the lingenfelter? White line is still poly so would likely make some noise?

Thanks.

bottletalk 09-23-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMan918 (Post 10871002)
I’ll see if I can get a video to capture. I can make the noise at will. Only at light acceleration. This all started after a 4.11 gear install. Pattern is set great and backlash at 9/1000s. My installer was very adamant that install isn’t an issue but it is gear whine of sorts. I have a m6.

To mention, I know some people would want to come in and say install issue but I feel very confident in this shop and the work done so I really don’t think it’s related to gear setup.

I’ll try to get a video today. Thanks for all your help!

On edit:

Here was something I did question though. Note the movement of the right axel. Is that acceptable or is it not fully seated with the lock ring? No leaks.

https://youtu.be/Pb2iHglDQUM

how many miles are on the gears since install? recheck ur pattern and diff oil if ur over 1000, if your still in the barely driven stage take it for a good cruise and see if ur diff temp climbs....might just need some breakin in but 99% of the time if a noise appears after mechanical work the noise and work are related. what oil are u using?

DMan918 09-23-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bottletalk (Post 10873298)
how many miles are on the gears since install? recheck ur pattern and diff oil if ur over 1000, if your still in the barely driven stage take it for a good cruise and see if ur diff temp climbs....might just need some breakin in but 99% of the time if a noise appears after mechanical work the noise and work are related. what oil are u using?

I’m at 450 miles. Using royal purple.

Here’s a link trying to show the whine: https://youtu.be/T2fJZraTkOc

We’re pretty certain it’s because we installed 4.11s and now the poly bushings are causing all kinds of noise. What may be a minor whine is just escalated into aloud one because of the bushings. The lingenfelter bushings are in order so hopefully that will resolve the issue.

BMR Sales 09-24-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMan918 (Post 10870413)
Hi all,

I currently have a set of differential bushings installed in my car and I’m getting a bit of noise. We suspect they are the cause. Haven’t removed yet but they’re red so I’m assuming they may be bmr pros. Either way, I am reading I can’t install oem bushings back in? Is that true even for a professional shop? If so, is the bmr street the closest to stock or is there a bushing that would be even quieter?

Thanks!

When anyone replaces the Soft Rubber Diff Bushings ( which absorb NVH) with another Bushing that is much Harder you will get Noise. The Bushing is not causing the Noise & Vibration, it just can not absorb and transmits it through the car

DMan918 09-24-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR Sales (Post 10873867)
When anyone replaces the Soft Rubber Diff Bushings ( which absorb NVH) with another Bushing that is much Harder you will get Noise. The Bushing is not causing the Noise & Vibration, it just can not absorb and transmits it through the car

Yep exactly. The bushings are doing what they are supposed to. I just prefer quiet at the expense of some diff movement. :)