CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   PSA on ZL1s being stolen (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615966)

Vigilante375 05-07-2023 07:59 AM

PSA on ZL1s being stolen

I just want all owners of not only ZL1s but all 6th gen Camaros to be aware that this car seems to be on the target list for thieves and can be easily stolen.

On a ZL1 Facebook group, I've seen at least 4 ZL1s stolen this year. 3 were in a parking garage and 1 out in the parking lot at someone's work.

The one stolen last night, in Texas, was in a secured parking garage and the thieves broke into the car, put it in neutral and pushed it out to a waiting tow truck. This was a new one to me.

The others were stolen in a minute or less and driven away. With the owner seeing it happen while he was at work and ran out to stop them but they were driving off by the time he almost got to the car.

Onstar has proven useless in these situations where they take hours or days to track the car after you prove you're the owner or the thieves disable it once they are down the road a ways.

So don't trust the factory anti theft system and Onstar. Install something else that can't be turned off or will make it harder for them to bypass. I think those Apple Air Tags would be the best thing to use and can be easily hidden.

And also use the ebrake. That could have stopped the theft last night in Texas.

mariojas 05-07-2023 08:08 AM

Here we go again... I sold my Scat Pack for that reason.
My ZL1 has "external tracking devices", but I will consider using steering wheel lock too, hearing this. Thanks.

1badtie 05-07-2023 08:26 AM

Taking a trip to DTX this week was going back and fourth between taking ZL1 and our acura. Thinking we will take the acura as its much less likely to get stolen and ruin our trip lol. Sucks you gotta keep a close eye on them if you take to to shows/cars and coffee and thieves will put apple air tags on them and try and steal them later

mlee 05-07-2023 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This brand new one was just stolen in Houston.. just had the entire car covered in Xpel PPF too.

Attachment 1126482

Jus Cruisin 05-07-2023 08:45 AM

That's why I carry insurance on my vehicles. No loss of sleep for me.

MisterMarauder 05-07-2023 08:47 AM

Outside of a relay attack, I'm not aware of any exploits that allow these to be driven away, so I'm guessing most of the thefts are relay or tow truck.

mlee 05-07-2023 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin (Post 11313534)
That's why I carry insurance on my vehicles. No loss of sleep for me.

Except for losing a car you can't replace

Jus Cruisin 05-07-2023 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 11313539)

I've owned over 100 cars and trucks and they've always been replaceable with something else equally as cool to me. My ZL1 isn't my end all, can't live without car. Sure it's cool but there are plenty of options that I could replace it with. In fact this caught my eye yesterday.

Revalot 05-07-2023 09:06 AM

This may sound crazy, but I come from 30 years of corrections and law enforcement, If I take my cars out to a show every now and then, after I leave, I will inspect under the car for tags etc. But let's be honest, people can take a picture of your license plate and find where you live.

LT4Greg 05-07-2023 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlee (Post 11313539)

Ditto Mike!

Jus Cruisin 05-07-2023 09:34 AM

If you absolutely feel a car is irreplaceable, don't drive it to work, don't leave it in a parking garage or leave it unattended in public settings. Treat it like it's irreplaceable.

LT4Greg 05-07-2023 09:49 AM

Whatever dude! I have insurance on mine and my other 2 vehicles but that doesn’t mean I want to see them stolen especially the ZL1. I bought the ZL1 to drive and enjoy not to sit in a garage and if it was stolen I can’t afford to replace it with a new one or even a used one. Since Chevy is stopping production of Camaro I’m pretty sure more Camaros will be stolen in the near future. You are very fortunate to have owned 100 vehicles in your time but i have had only a fraction of that in my years of driving and owning vehicles.

Vigilante375 05-07-2023 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMarauder (Post 11313536)
Outside of a relay attack, I'm not aware of any exploits that allow these to be driven away, so I'm guessing most of the thefts are relay or tow truck.

Well 3 of the 4 I've read about were driven away. 1 of the ZL1s in a secured parking garage and had the thieves on camera breaking the window then driving away a minute or so later.

The one mlee posted about was broken into and driven away. Owner said he lives in the 7th floor of an apartment complex.

So there is an exploit to hot wire these cars and not do the relay trick that has been going on for years.

Jus Cruisin 05-07-2023 11:09 AM

If any of yours gets ripped off. Just pm me. You could well be able to talk me out of it. I think there's maybe 180 miles on it. ;)