CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   No more V8 for 6th gen Camaro? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267913)

Infinite-T 01-10-2013 08:58 PM

Just for the hell of it, I want to take a step back for a minute...

Why does it have to be about how many cylinders you have (if any)? Like many have already said. If GM can make a 6 cylinder engine that cranks out just as much, if not more that an 8 and gets good mileage to boot, why is it a bad thing. If you look at the raw power, or muscle I guess we are talking about here, as long as it is substantial, why does it matter what kind of engine it is coming from.

Seems some people are stuck in the belief that just because there is a push for more efficient vehicles that we are all going to end up driving something that looks, feels, handles, and performs like a Prius. Even if some day we go all electric, does that mean they will do away with "performance/muscle" cars? As long as there is a market for this kind of vehicle, I believe they will be made. Look at stuff like what Tesla is doing. Aren't those very fast, high performance cars? Don't they look pretty bad ass (IMO) ? And they don't have ANY cylinders?
Wasn't their first run roadsters doing the quarter mile in the mid 11s? Wouldn't that qualify as being muscle? Isn't that faster than most standard v8s? Yes, I know that it is a very expensive super car.... but my point is, it is possible to make fast, high performance, bad ass, good looking cars that don't have to burn a ton of Dino juice.

In ten years I believe that we will still have high performance, good looking cars that are still obtainable by the middle class man (assuming there is still a middle class) that will also burn less foreign oil and pump less smoke into the air we must all breathe. Power is power, why is it so important as to how it is created? Times change, soon we find out new and improved, more efficient ways of doing things.

When the internal combustion engine goes obsolete, something else will take its place. 400hp is 400hp, no matter how much gas it does or doest burn, and how many cylinders it takes (if any) to do it. In 10, 20, 30, 50, 100 years, man will still want to go fast as he can ,and will find a way to do it with the technology available at that time.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers here, or start a political or otherwise debate. I'm just saying... technology will forever change and evolve, and we have to roll with it. As long as people will demand fast, good looking cars, and there is money to be made, they WILL find a way to make them. I want my space ship to go warp 10, even if it is running on dylithium crystals instead of old fashioned petroleum.

FenwickHockey65 01-10-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THUMPER20X (Post 6019730)
Camaro rumor mill history
in 1979-3rd gen to be FWD no V8
in 1991-4th gen to be FWD no V8
in 2000-5th gen (if made) FOR SURE FWD no V8
in 2013-6th gen to be FWD no V8
It's a track record like a middle east peace agreement.
lol

Hilariously enough I've seen a design sketch that was supposedly a proposed FWD Camaro.

Mr. Wyndham 01-10-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALLTRBO (Post 5963624)
I'm getting very tired of seeing all over the forums that Camaros are going to lose a V8 option (anytime in the at-all foreseeable future), and everyone deserves a rant every now and then I think, so it's my turn...

Now... We all know that GM has made many, many huge mistakes, but
they (specifically the Camaro team) are not stupid enough to believe that killing the V8 Camaro won't totally ruin the desire from the faithful and ultimately murder sales, despite the majority of sales traditionally coming from V6 cars. For one, a lot of the V6 owners hope to upgrade to a V8 when they can afford it and a lot do just that, but it's a lot more then that.

Buyers expect a Camaro to be a front engine, RWD car with an available V8. The GM Camaro team has been in tune with us customers more than ever in history, and they're Camaro people too, so stop worrying about it so much and just keep the faith. :thumbsup:

On the Big Brother side of things... As of my current understanding, the gas mileage requirements that car manufacturers have to meet are averaged across the lineup. For every V8 car or truck GM sells, they sell tons more of the smaller, more efficient cars and trucks, and they're getting more and more efficient and more desirable every year, as well as the PHEV's and all-electric cars becoming increasingly available on the higher-end of the econo spectrum. That's just on top of the newer traditional econo cars that have been getting good reviews and putting out great numbers.
What this means is that a number of gas guzzling options can be had while still satisfying the average numbers GM must meet. Above all that, even the numbers from those "awful planet-killing, nature-hating, obnoxious, crude, and just plain selfish" V8's are going in the right direction, not only in mileage but in power as well! Take that, tree huggers! But I digress...

I don't foresee this method of forcing efficiency numbers on them to change any time soon other than making the requirements stricter over time, but I am far from an industry expert, so take that for what it's worth.

In short, don't at all worry about whether or not there will be V8 Camaros for years to come. If they do go for substantially improved efficiency in the Camaro, the smaller turbo engines might be the way they do it, but they will absolutely not kill the V8 Camaro. Mark my words... (and if I'm wrong I have no problem standing corrected).

Here are my predictions (speaking in general terms):

The 5th gen will get a couple more engine offerings/replacements and tweaks yet, but I don't see any paradigm shifts for the rest of this go-round.
The 6th gen will probably have the LT1 as the base V8 (man I hate it when they dig up retired designations), some better form of V8(s) in the higher performance models, and possibly (hopefully) the twin-turbo DI 3.6, and potentially even a 4-cylinder turbo base engine. I won't rule that out because the structure is already in place, and it is a solid performer as 4-cylinders go. It's no 2.5 Iron Duke, that's for sure! Tuned for "torque" and minimal turbo lag, I'm sure it'd move along a ~3400 lb car just fine.
However, I still don't think it's likely.

If they do a TT V6 I'll be in love and would probably take it over the V8. As long as they did it right, it would be stupid easy to eclipse the V8 power. That's why I love turbos. On the other hand, can't beat the sound of that traditional and ever-present musclecar V8 thumping under the hood. :thumbsup:

I like your post, so I'm giving you a thumbs-up award: :thumbsup:

And I love your signature picture, so I'm giving you another one: :thumbsup:

;) All good thoughts - like the way you think.

Let me draw a conclusion from some facts:

Fact 1) They just dedicated over a billion dollars to the new V8 engine programming. Two plants are due to produce the engines, and countless suppliers support them.

Fact 2) GM sells a bagillion trucks each year, each needing a tow-capable, torque-happy V8.

Fact 3) The Corvette will ALWAYS....ALWAYS...feature a V8...

Fact 4) Motorhead Al Oppenheiser is the Chief Engineer of Camaro.

Conclusion:
You think they won't put a V8 into a future Camaro?

You're either insane, or you drive a Mustang! :yikes: :bolt:

ENV US 01-10-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 6020616)

Fact 1) They just dedicated over a billion dollars to the new V8 engine programming. Two plants are due to produce the engines, and countless suppliers support them.

Fact 2) GM sells a bagillion trucks each year, each needing a tow-capable, torque-happy V8.

Conclusion:

Not to burst your bubble, you may want to check Fact 3) The first Corvette was a blue flame 6.

Anybody check the horsepower rating on the twin turbo Taurus? I suspect we will see that engine in the next gen mustang. Chevrolet will react to that.

When I was young we were promised a flying car by now.
Mine flys, just really close to the ground:sm0:

Mr. Wyndham 01-10-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENV US (Post 6020822)
Not to burst your bubble, you may want to check Fact 3) The first Corvette was a blue flame 6.

Anybody check the horsepower rating on the twin turbo Taurus? I suspect we will see that engine in the next gen mustang. Chevrolet will react to that.

I didn't say never....I said "always" as in...the future. :)

I have nothing against TT V6, or even Turbo-4 bangers, by the way.

Bhobbs 01-10-2013 11:22 PM

Sure, there will always be a V8 option, if you are willing to pay for it and lucky enough to get one of the few made. GM won't give up a V8 Corvette, V8 Silverado/Sierra, V8 Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon and now V8 SS sedan. Something will have to change sooner or later.

sspolo 01-11-2013 03:05 AM

I can see the 6th gen Camaro having a V8 and possibly even the 7th gen. From there on forward, the Camaro would either get shut down again or it will be sold as a 4/6 cylinder and the 8 cylinder being offered like the Corvette where not too many buy them.

I wonder what GM will do with most of its trucks and SUV, since most of those have a V8.

V35 Skyline 01-11-2013 06:00 AM

As long as there is a market for affordable V8 sport coupes, people will continue to buy them.

Detroit makes them affordable and the fuel efficiency to HP produced is excellent.

Name anything from Europe or Asia that comes close.

Plenty of loyal customers ensure the V8 has a future in the Camaro and Corvette.

2010-1SS-IBM 01-11-2013 12:37 PM

I guess all the people who figure it'll be fine don't remember (or weren't around for) the late 70's/early 80's. Those years aren't remembered as great car years.

As for me, when it goes south, I'll be buying used Gen 5's or Gen 6's instead of new.

Richy_Rich 01-11-2013 01:27 PM

My Wish List:

- Gen 6 ATS Camaro, SS - new Gen 7 Corvette LT1 V8 (450HP).

- Gen 6 ATS Camaro, 1LE (handling pak) - new Gen 7 Corvette LT1 V8 (450HP).

- Gen 6 ATS Z/28, whatever Gen 7 Vette Z06 LT was available (530HP)

- Gen 6 ZL1, whatever Gen 7 Corvette ZR-1 SC LT program was offered should go here (680hp)

ALLTRBO 01-11-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 6020616)

Conclusion:

:thumbsup: Back-atcha.

I took the pic in the sig on Skyline Drive in VA, July 4th 2011 (It was my 2010 1LT/RS... Rest In Pieces). It's my favorite for sure. :flag2:

ALLTRBO 01-11-2013 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENV US (Post 6020822)

I can see the Mustang getting that engine, and I can also see Chevy answering with a TT V6 Camaro. However, I can't see there not being a V8... because there will be.

Oh, and...

:thumbsup:

garfin 01-11-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V35 Skyline (Post 6021545)
As long as there is a market for affordable V8 sport coupes, people will continue to buy them.

Detroit makes them affordable and the fuel efficiency to HP produced is excellent.

Name anything from Europe or Asia that comes close.

Plenty of loyal customers ensure the V8 has a future in the Camaro and Corvette.

Key word = "affordable".

Yes... no doubt the V8 Camaro will carry on thru the the 6th Gen car.

However, given impending CAFE standards Chevrolet will simply need to find a way to curtail sales of V8 cars.

I remember the early predictions made by Chevy with respect to the mix of V6 vs. V8 cars before the 5th Gen car came to market. Chevy was banking on a production mix of 80% V6 and 20% V8 cars. Big joke... in reality, that proportion was reversed, based on the unexpected demand for the SS! The good news was that the V8 car was significantly more profitable for GM than the V6. (so let's leave well enough alone!) The bad news is that CAFE numbers took a hit as a result. Again, given the new fuel economy requirements coming down the road, GM cannot afford to have that kind of imbalance between the V6 and V8 cars again.
V8 sales will need to be limited in order to meet the new requirements - and as has already been demonstrated, Chevy cannot depend on consumer demand to strike a balance in order to meet requirements. The clear choice among Camaro enthusiasts looks to be the V8.

The easiest way to limit the number of V8s on the road is to make them less attainable by making them more expensive. My prediction is that the V8 Camaro will live on in the 6th Gen car, but those of us who want (need) a V8 will have to dig a lot deeper into our pockets to get one.

Best regards,

Elie

mntgome1 01-12-2013 10:10 AM

I have been trying to ignore this topic for a minute now. I can no longer keep my feelings bottled up. Simply put if the Camaro gets rid of the V8 im gonna whip someones @$$....