CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   6th Gen Camaro once again rumored with 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder variant (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263881)

trewyn15 12-03-2012 11:21 AM

GM better not ruin the next model Camaro... IMO it shouldn't even have a V6 lol

So a I4 would be absolutely horrible.

v6sonoma 12-03-2012 11:22 AM

Not concerned with this at all. It's the right move. A turbo 4 isn't a bad thing at all. I have been to dyno events where properly tweaked Solstices and sky's put out almost as much HP to the wheels as a stock 5th gen SS and with little modifying.

They will still offer V8's for those like me who wouldn't have it any other way and I suspect they might even offer a V6 at least for the first year to test the waters. I believe that after they see where the take rates go the V6 will fade or they will turbo that and push the V8 up into "ZL1" price brackets only. Of course it all depends on what sells and who's willing to pay for it. $$$ will decide as people make the choices for GM with their wallets.

At any rate I suspect we'll end up with a 6th gen Camaro that most of us will love, some will hate, and others will love but complain about them not doing ____X____. :chevy:

ShnOmac 12-03-2012 11:28 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jME95yG1z9...ky-Falling.jpg

Ice Demon 12-03-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juiced1 (Post 5873744)
It failed miserably when Ford tried it with the Mustang back in the day. But if that's just a base engine and the LT1 Vette motor is still an option for the SS all should be fine. Especially, with that new light weight rumored about from the ATS Zeta platform. That new ATS rips pretty nicely for a base model Caddy. Dump in the LT1 motor and you have a low 12 high 11 second SS that should handle like it was on rails.

:word: most likely the engine will probably be something like what was in the cobalt SS TC. I wouldn't buy a 4 banger camaro but it should appeal well to those that want a good mpg. As long as there is a option for a big v8 I'm happy :thumbsup:

TastyBake 12-03-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZ28 (Post 5873774)
Next gen Camaro resides on Alpha which today has 2.0L Turbo... pretty much a foregone conclusion especially with fuel economy needs beyond 2015. I don't see the V8 going away in a Camaro for at least another 10 years.

Not really.

Just because a car shares a platform doesn't mean they will have the same engine. Manufacturers have mixed platforms and engines. Making some engines exclusive to specific models.

As mentioned by others, the Skyline 2.0T was pretty serious. Since the LFX is a pretty advanced engine, I doubt they will throw it away.

"Camaro with a 4 cyl 'just ain't right'" is tradition. Its just a name of a car. If the marketing is executed correctly, then people will buy it. I agree the V8 isn't going anywhere. Don't underestimate engineering.

I mean can you imagine the SS V8 in a lighter model?!!

RatRacer 12-03-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 5873763)
Our Sky Red line with the GMPP tune would eat out LLT hands down, and would even give our SS a good run. Never under estimate the 2.0T engines, GM knows how to build them right.

I had the cobbled for HHR Solstice/Sky GMPP tune on mine(auto). It was impressive when it wasn't in the shop for eating map sensors/reduced power mode. The LNF would rip if you could get the open ended transaxle to hook up.

trewyn15 12-03-2012 11:38 AM

Might as well just put pedals in the damn thing and make it a pedal car.

Ice Demon 12-03-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 5874167)

Good idea that setup would get great gas mileage :laugh:

trewyn15 12-03-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Demon (Post 5874183)
Good idea that setup would get great gas mileage :laugh:

It would help America to lose the 'obese' stereotype too :D

(I'm not calling any Camaro owners fat or overweight)

FenwickHockey65 12-03-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 5874167)

:facepalm::facepalm:

Obviously you people aren't familiar with just how good GM's 2.0T is. There's a reason a lot of people prefer the ATS 2.0T over the more powerful LFX.

Ice Demon 12-03-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 5874228)

Obviously you people aren't familiar with just how good GM's 2.0T is. There's a reason a lot of people prefer the ATS 2.0T over the more powerful LFX.

O believe me I know but that doesn't mean I want one in a camaro. Put it in a Sonic, Impala, Malibu, and so on. I just fear the day I see a fart can on a Camaro. Like I said earlier as long as they make a big v8 as a option I'm happy.

doc7000 12-03-2012 12:03 PM

The 2.0 turbo in the ats produces 272bhp in a 3400-3450 pound car.

BiG_TiMe 12-03-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkneSS (Post 5873968)
All I'm saying is, I hope they keep the LLT in the line up AND offer this engine! If all we can get is the 4 cylinder, it will be a disappointment!

i thought the LLT is already out. don't all the current V6's have LFX engines?

FenwickHockey65 12-03-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Demon (Post 5874254)
O believe me I know but that doesn't mean I want one in a camaro. Put it in a Sonic, Impala, Malibu, and so on. I just fear the day I see a fart can on a Camaro. Like I said earlier as long as they make a big v8 as a option I'm happy.

There will be still be a V8.

meissen 12-03-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 5874228)

There's little to no hope with the folks on this site anymore... the 5th gen is the best, most wonderfullest vehicle ever produced in the history of the Camaro platform and there's just absolutely no way possible that GM could ever improve upon the best vehicle GM ever made....... (troll face)

I welcome the idea of an I4. It's almost a given with the ATS. When the 5th generation was under development we all followed the CTS for clues to what the 5th gen powertrain would look like. Now it's the 6th gen with the ATS. I know a lot of you think the Camaro should only be produced with a v8, but that's why you guys aren't in business... your thinking is flat out wrong and would ruin the vehicle since the v8 sales alone wouldn't carry the vehicle line to profitability. The vehicle needs to be available to the masses and sell. If a 6th gen with an I4 comes out at a 17,000-19,000 price point (wishful thinking) then it opens the 6th gen to a whole new group of buyers and that's a good thing.

TPAJETSKI 12-03-2012 12:33 PM

I wouldn't want one. I'm a neanderthal I guess but to me there has to be the option of an 8. I don't care if the 4 is 2 seconds faster in the quarter mile, the sound and feel of a pushrod 8 cannot be replicated in a turbo 4. I think even Porsche finally gave up on developing a turbo 4.

RJT Impala 12-03-2012 12:39 PM

I guess I'm a Neanderthal also, and at the risk of being a troll: four-cylinder engines will always remind me of tractors.

james347 12-03-2012 12:39 PM

OMG Big mistake. 4 Cylinder? Big Mistake!

james347 12-03-2012 12:42 PM

Might as well make it front wheel drive while they are at it.

GearheadSS 12-03-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc7000 (Post 5874256)
The 2.0 turbo in the ats produces 272bhp in a 3400-3450 pound car.

Yup and it actually comes in at just under 3300 pounds for a base 2.0T. I have one right now with a ship weight of 3307 but it has some added options.

As someone that has driven and ATS with the 2.0T with a manual and automatic, I'm ok with them at least offering this engine on the 6th gen. There will certainly be a V8 option so everyone needs to just relaxe. The 2.0T is a very capable engine when it's in a car that's not too heavy. The big question is whether they can keep the weight down on the next Camaro.

KMPrenger 12-03-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkneSS (Post 5873968)
This really worries me. The problem with the current V6 is weight, not power. 300 HP is great for the money. If the V6 lost about 300 pounds it would be a 13 second car out of the box without any power increase.

The ATS platform was a great sign that the V6 car would get that desired 300 pound diet. The ATS is what? 3400 pounds? And it is a Caddy so it is possible a V6 Camaro on the ATS platform could be as low as 3300 pounds.

A 400 pound diet definitely gets our V6 into 13s with no other mods!

BUT a turbo 4 cylinder, stock at least, is not going to be pushing out 300 hP. What will it make? 250-270?

We will get our diet, but also lose power. Making the 6th gen Ls/lt cars just as fast as the current 6.

And sure you can up the boost but how much boost do you think the engine will take?

And a boosted 3300 pound V6 LLT will be much faster than a boosted 3300 pound 4 banger.

All I'm saying is, I hope they keep the LLT in the line up AND offer this engine! If all we can get is the 4 cylinder, it will be a disappointment!

Darkness, you may be partially correct, but I think we should hold out faith for sure. For one, I believe that if they erase the V6 option, then they turbo 4 will have at least 300+ HP and probably that much torque, making the 6th gen base option just as quick as the current base car if not a tad quicker because of the weight difference and low end torque of the turbo. But more of my opinion on this below...

Quote:

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 5874119)

Your comments here thus far have made no sense. Have you not seen what can be done with the GM 2.0 engines? Can't wait to see your face when tuned and lightly modded 6th gens with the turbo 4 are running with or beating a 5th gen SS. You've got elitist SS owner written all over you lol.

Look guys...we need look no further than the absolutely wonderful performing ATS to see what kind of possibilities we may have with the next gen Camaro on the Alpha platform. The base ATS weighs in the low to mid 3,300 range. A loaded ATS with the V6 is in the 3,400 lb range. I fully expect the base 6th gen Camaro to start in the same 3,300 lb range, V6 in the 3,400 lb range and finally the V8 variant in the 3,500 range. The weight savings alone would completely change the performance of these cars. Current V6 weighs 3,750 lbs. The V8 weighs somewhere around 100 - 150 lbs more than that, with all its suspension, brake, and drivetrain upgrades.

So if we take the current ATS V6...add another 100 -150 lbs and you guys are looking at an SS (if its even called that) in the 3,550 to 3,600 lb range. Amazing performance potential.

I really hope they offer the LFX as well as the 2.0 in this car...at least for the first year or two. Thats what I'd want. I feel so familiar and happy with the V6 now after modding mine, that I think doing a bolt on/tune LFX in the 350 - 370 HP range would be absolutely awesome. The one thing I hate about my car is the weight. In a lighter car with similar gearing, the V6 would absolutely rip.

I think the performance of the next gen Camaro is going to be the best ever. Now we just have to hope that GM can once again nail the styling :D

2SS45th 12-03-2012 01:01 PM

The new four banger turbo is a great motor for the Camaro, the people flaming Chevy for it are just trying to be "cool". 272hp from a turbo will monster the current V6 with weight being the same. The torque curve of the turbo will be a huge upgrade, and who doesn't like saving at the pump? All the power with less fuel, yeah so stupid. Some of those turbo 4 cylinder cars out there will give the current SS a run for its money, cue STi and Evo. This won't be on that level, but it won't be slow. Overall, nice job Chevy. I'll keep the V8 for myself, but I would buy the turbo four over the 6cyl for sure.

Fiveg56 12-03-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 5874119)

Um...without the V6, there'd be no V8. On that note, how many cylinders does your Camaro have?? Lol.

solo40oz 12-03-2012 01:21 PM

I think the gmpp tune on the LNF in the Solstice/Sky bumps it up to 340 ft-lb and 340 hp.....pretty impressive for a 4 banger. That would be a good base model for a lighter camaro.

TPAJETSKI 12-03-2012 01:26 PM

Different demographic, but I wonder if GM would ever consider a turbo 4 for the vette?

I certainly could be wrong but I would think a turbo 4 would be a midgrade engine just based on manufacturing costs. A turbo 4 would cost more than a six wouldn't it?