CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   **Huge markup** Rick Hendrick Chevrolet in Buford, GA (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602016)

armycop71 02-03-2022 11:33 AM

**Huge markup** Rick Hendrick Chevrolet in Buford, GA

I called Rick Hendrick Chevrolet in Buford GA to check out one of their 8 LT-1 Camaros in stock, and they said that they had "additional dealer accessories" added to the MSRP. The "accessories" were $5,000. Nice markup, I should report them to GM.

ZPirate 02-03-2022 12:44 PM

LOL! How else do you think ole Rick can keep adding to his car collection! He seems to keep Barrett-Jackson in business.

armycop71 02-03-2022 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZPirate (Post 11129383)
LOL! How else do you think ole Rick can keep adding to his car collection! He seems to keep Barrett-Jackson is business.

Yeah, they just "donated" $3.6 million for the first Z06 C8.

POWERFULMOVES 02-03-2022 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armycop71 (Post 11129351)
I called Rick Hendrick Chevrolet in Buford GA to check out one of their 8 LT-1 Camaros in stock, and they said that they had "additional dealer accessories" added to the MSRP. The "accessories" were $5,000. Nice markup, I should report them to GM.

GM wont do anything its just pr cus there have been not articles about dealerships losing allocations or anything ( maybe its coming ) but everywhere I looked a lot of dealers are trying 5 6 7k some will work it into the msrp so it comes out good If a dealer did that I would take msrp cus you get the extras the dealer can offer they are happy cus they meet their quotas and your mark up actually goes for something.

that being said only two of the dealers I contacted were willing to do this

imo

ckt227 02-04-2022 12:00 PM

There are 2 dealerships in Southwest Florida that are not playing the markup game. Estero Bay Chevrolet and Roger Dean in Cape Coral. They are even honoring Employee and Supplier pricing. Even selling new C8's at MSRP. Just have to wait 18-24 months.

MightyBobo 02-04-2022 12:43 PM

Reporting them to GM will do nothing. The only cars that GM is taking action on here in regards to gouging customers, are the pre-orders such as the Z06 and new Silverado RST FE.

MightyBobo 02-04-2022 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckt227 (Post 11129809)
Just have to wait 18-24 months.

L. O. L.

TXCSSU 02-04-2022 01:12 PM

If they think they can get that extra $5000, more power to them. If you order from them and they tell you MSRP then they should honor MSRP, but if you want it immediately then be prepared to pay. The way I see it, they're not selling cars right now, and in fact may be losing money. Thus, why should we expect them to charge the same? I figure it's like the service industry, service is really taking a hit and I don't mind tipping a little more than I usually do. You figure if a dealership makes $$$$ per car sold, and they're selling less than 1/2 that, that's a lot of employee costs that aren't being met.

fielderLS3 02-04-2022 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXCSSU (Post 11129842)
If they think they can get that extra $5000, more power to them. If you order from them and they tell you MSRP then they should honor MSRP, but if you want it immediately then be prepared to pay. The way I see it, they're not selling cars right now, and in fact may be losing money. Thus, why should we expect them to charge the same? I figure it's like the service industry, service is really taking a hit and I don't mind tipping a little more than I usually do. You figure if a dealership makes $$$$ per car sold, and they're selling less than 1/2 that, that's a lot of employee costs that aren't being met.

Dealerships are having all time record years by a significant margin. I read a report last fall that nationally, cumulative dealership profit just through the 3rd quarter of 2021 had already exceeded the prior full year record.

I agree, they are only getting it because the customers are willing to pay it. Just pointing out that they are not struggling to meet anything right now.

TXCSSU 02-04-2022 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fielderLS3 (Post 11129954)
Dealerships are having all time record years by a significant margin. I read a report last fall that nationally, cumulative dealership profit just through the 3rd quarter of 2021 had already exceeded the prior full year record.

I agree, they are only getting it because the customers are willing to pay it. Just pointing out that they are not struggling to meet anything right now.

I can't help wonder how they're managing that profit except through their used cars. I wonder if they are using Covid government assistance to pad their numbers. I know the airlines are seeing great numbers until you take away their Covid relief and then they're all seeing record losses. I guess maybe there is a lot going on in the used car market because I can't see them making any money on the new car sales side.

fielderLS3 02-04-2022 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXCSSU (Post 11129969)
I can't help wonder how they're managing that profit except through their used cars. I wonder if they are using Covid government assistance to pad their numbers. I know the airlines are seeing great numbers until you take away their Covid relief and then they're all seeing record losses. I guess maybe there is a lot going on in the used car market because I can't see them making any money on the new car sales side.

The empty lots makes things look worse than they actually are. There is still decent volume going through dealerships. You just don't see it because it is either sold before or quickly after it arrives. I think 2021 new sales were something close to 15 million compared to about 17-18 million in 2019 pre-supply chain crisis (perhaps someone reading has exact numbers). Down, but not catastrophically.

So sales volume is still around 85% of normal. That volume decrease pales in comparison to the profit per unit increase with most of it going for near (and some of it above) sticker. Plus, without inventory sitting on the lot, a significant portion of normal overhead costs is gone.

TXCSSU 03-26-2022 01:20 AM

Five thousand dollars seems kind of quaint compared to this story. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/03...-delivery/amp/ I can't imagine a 50% markup on a vehicle that already MSRPs for over $100k. The story calls out the dealership, which I'm glad it does. Hopefully the $50k markup will cost them more in negative press.

armycop71 03-26-2022 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXCSSU (Post 11151673)
Five thousand dollars seems kind of quaint compared to this story. https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/03...-delivery/amp/ I can't imagine a 50% markup on a vehicle that already MSRPs for over $100k. The story calls out the dealership, which I'm glad it does. Hopefully the $50k markup will cost them more in negative press.

The problem is both the fault of the greedy dealer and the customer that keeps paying these ridiculous markups. I guess to one-up the rich neighbors, the $50K is cheap. But to a normal person, that's about a year's salary.

TXCSSU 03-26-2022 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armycop71 (Post 11151751)
The problem is both the fault of the greedy dealer and the customer that keeps paying these ridiculous markups. I guess to one-up the rich neighbors, the $50K is cheap. But to a normal person, that's about a year's salary.

I'm ok with it though, as the alternative is regulation. I'm also ok with the dealership getting negative press. This negative press is probably what GM "the company" is afraid of, but if the dealership wants to gouge their customer for instant gratification I say have at it. Maybe consumers will remember, but something tells me that they won't as it appears that consumers/voters have very bad short term memory. Will be interesting to see if anyone forks over the $150K+ asking price for the Hummer. You can literally buy 2 ZLEs for that price and in a few years when ICE has been displaced, the Hummers will probably be selling for the price of the ZLEs and vice versa.