CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   2016 Camaro News from USA TODAY (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381759)

MikeT 10-20-2014 10:00 AM

USA Today: No plans for Camaro at NAIAS

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ssis/17599689/

Chevy hasn't provided any teaser photos of the 2016 Camaro, and says it doesn't plan to unveil the car at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January. In fact, Chevy says, it hasn't decided where the next-gen car will make its debut.

Not sure what to make it of this one. Pretty clearly implying that they (USA Today) have talked to Chevy 'on the record.'

On the other hand, and I don't mean to split hairs, but it's possible that some Chevy spokesman simply meant that there aren't any 'current' plans for a debut at NAIAS, thus leaving open the possibility that there would be 'future' plans along those lines.

ssrs2lt 10-20-2014 10:02 AM

I wish it was moved up to earlier.. LoL..

Millertime555 10-20-2014 10:30 AM

Well crap, I'm going to NAIAS and was reeeeeeeeally hoping it would be unveiled there. :thumbdown:

MikeT 10-20-2014 11:24 AM

Probably like most of us here, I'll be a bit bummed if this turns out to be true. I've been kind of counting down to NAIAS ('only 3 more months,' etc.).

With the current car still selling as well as it is, though, maybe this was inevitable. I can't necessarily blame Chevy if they're trying to delay the debut as long as possible in order to keep the 5th gen's numbers up.

Another curious aspect of this USA Today piece is the emphasis on the 6th gen being 'smaller.' Reading this, you'd almost expect the Camaro to be ATS coupe-sized, but I don't know. To my naked eye, the prototypes look a little bigger than that. Not as big as the 5th gen, but only slightly smaller--maybe 4"-5" overall?

FenwickHockey65 10-20-2014 12:49 PM

We were always told Detroit so...perhaps that's changed.

Given the timeline, GM doesn't have many options. LA is next month, Detroit in January, if not those two the only two other big ones are Chicago (which is quickly becoming lamer and lamer every year) and New York.

Bhobbs 10-20-2014 12:59 PM

That's weak.

nikeair042 10-20-2014 02:37 PM

I was really thinking Detroit, biggest auto show of the year. And didn't they show off the 2014 refresh in January? I remember it was on like Regis and Kelly or whatever the hell it's called now. You'd think the car was basically close to production ready, meaning the body styling. Oh well, that's disappointing if true :(

ilirg 10-20-2014 02:57 PM

I doubt this is true

DenverTaco07 10-20-2014 03:13 PM

"Chevy says, it hasn't decided where the next-gen car will make its debut."

in other words, they are keeping it secret for now, just have to wait and see.

Iroc_Z28 10-20-2014 03:37 PM

With how tight-lipped chevy has been throughout the entire 6th gen development process, this doesn't surprise me. Chevy is probably just keeping the official reveal date on the down low to milk every last bit of 5th gen sales as possible. I would still bet on a NAIAS reveal as it is the biggest NA show, we just won't know fore sure until weeks, maybe days before.

FenwickHockey65 10-20-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikeair042 (Post 8019455)
I was really thinking Detroit, biggest auto show of the year. And didn't they show off the 2014 refresh in January? I remember it was on like Regis and Kelly or whatever the hell it's called now. You'd think the car was basically close to production ready, meaning the body styling. Oh well, that's disappointing if true :(

It was at New York I think.

Iroc_Z28 10-20-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 8019597)
It was at New York I think.

yup, New York

BigShow1960 10-20-2014 04:51 PM

Maybe they are delaying to make sure they get it right?

horizon670 10-20-2014 05:14 PM

2016 Camaro News from USA TODAY

USA TODAY NEWS:

General Motors' redesigned, 2016 Chevrolet Camaro will be smaller than the current model and will be built on GM's Cadillac ATS compact-car chassis, Chevy says.

It also might offer a turbocharged four-cylinder engine, as the rival Ford Mustang does.

The next-generation Camaro goes on sale late next year.

Chevy hasn't provided any teaser photos of the 2016 Camaro, and says it doesn't plan to unveil the car at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January. In fact, Chevy says, it hasn't decided where the next-gen car will make its debut.

The current Camaro, launched in 2009 as a 2010 model, uses a rear-drive chassis that's a modified version of a Commodore by Holden, GM's Australian unit.

GM says it'll stop building cars in Australia in 2017 and turn Holden into a marketing operation only, so the Camaro has to shift to a platform that'll continue in production.

Cadillac's ATS coupe, the version of the ATS that's most like a Camaro, is shorter, narrower and weighs less than the current Camaro, and also is smaller than the new-design, 2015 Ford Mustang.

The ATS chassis was developed to make a car that could be a credible rival to the BMW 3-series, so moving to that setup will mean Camaro joins Mustang in emphasizing a European sporty-car driving feel.

It's a striking move for cars that have defined the American sporty coupe for decades. In fact, such cars are called "pony cars" after the pioneering Mustang launched April 17,1964.

Ford developed the 2015 Mustang to broaden its appeal to overseas buyers, hoping to boost sales globally. To target European and Asian shoppers, Ford gave the Mustang a more nimble chassis with independent rear suspension, and added a 2.3-liter turbocharged, four-cylinder to the engine lineup that includes V-6 and V-8 engines.

GM's Cadillac ATS offers a turbo four, so a version of that engine would be a natural for the new Camaro, as well.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ssis/17599689/