CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Official: 6th Gen Camaro Production to Move to U.S. Lansing Grand River Plant (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266635)

shrinkdoc 12-19-2012 10:09 PM

This will really add vitality to the Detroit area now. When they begin making them there GM will sell 2,000,000,0000,000 camaros a year!:happyanim:

Fenderaddict2 12-19-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPO F55 (Post 5935812)
To those of us in the industry, this and more moves like it will likely be the norm amongst the big three.

No offense meant towards the fine workers at Oshawa and the high-quality products they produce - they are victims of the economic situation there.

However, the recent CAW contract did nothing to address and indeed actually worsened the disparity of labor costs between Canada and the U.S..

To be specific, Canada is now the highest priced country to produce autos in. Given the CAW's inability to grasp this, (coupled with Ford's quick capitulation to the CAW's demands) the result produced a contract with the big three that did nothing to alleviate this.

To see the exodus start from Canada to the U.S. as well as other, lower cost areas is only natural and expected. A company can't absorb noncompetitive labor costs out of a goodwill intent - you have to go where the costs are more reasonable.

The companies that are involved would certainly not admit this, but the CAW have only theirself to blame for forcing such an unrealistic contract on the big three.

Too true. Happened here before with Goodyear and Boeing to friends and family who refused to believe in the truth and instead put their future in the unions hands.

shrinkdoc 12-19-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 5936644)
Does it really matter were it's built? I'm more worried about what it's going to look like and how it's going to perform.

If they wants to keep their job, they will builds them right.:paddle:

motorhead 12-19-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham (Post 5936866)
But where it's built is the hot topic of the day! For now...we're just assuming it'll look hot, and perform awesome. ;)

True it is a hot topic for some folks. To me it's no big deal. It isn't like it's going to cause the plant to close. It sounds more like they are going to be expanding so really, Canada should be happy about the news. And, it's good for the folks in the states because they will probably have to hire more workers. It sounds like a win win for everyone involved. I have no worries about build quality in the states verses Canada.

Mr. Wyndham 12-19-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrinkdoc (Post 5937221)
I suspect this is do to the Right to Work issue. GM has been trying to get away from unions for years.:drinking:

Has nothing to do with this....How strange this keeps coming up...even after GM's own press release detailed a couple of other much larger reasons...

Sonic is made in the US, by Chevy. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 5937261)
True it is a hot topic for some folks....I have no worries about build quality in the states verses Canada.

Me, either....If I recall correctly...Lansing won a quality award, similar to Oshawa, out of all the assembly plants in North America.

RTRO 2SS 12-19-2012 11:05 PM

Made in America

I'm Happy to hear this news. Let’s hope they assemble the car with parts make in the USA. I can’t tell you how disappointed I was when I took one of the wheels off and discovered it was made in China. It Saddens me that we import so many thing these days that I feel should be made here at home.

Mr. Wyndham 12-19-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTRO 2SS (Post 5937424)
I'm Happy to hear this news. Let’s hope they assemble the car with parts make in the USA. I can’t tell you how disappointed I was when I took one of the wheels off and discovered it was made in China. It Saddens me that we import so many thing these days that I feel should be made here at home.

Slightly off-topic.....Find hope in the fact that we are still making lots of things here. They just happen to be very expensive and complex...which is a shift from the cheap, mass-produced "widgets" that are easier to talk about. :thumbsup:

And in a few years...we can add Camaros to the list of exports! ;)

douglat2 12-19-2012 11:12 PM

I couldn't be happier about this! I was born, raised, and still live in Lansing. When GM tore down half the plants we had here it killed us. It's nice to see more cars being built here. The Grand River Plant is an awesome facility and I can't wait to see the next generation camaros start rolling off the line. As for people worried about us taking pride in our work, you obviously don't know us. We love building cars, it's what we've been doing for generations. We always take pride in the cars that we build in lansing, and now we get to take pride in one of the most iconic name plates in American motoring history.

Doglife1LE 12-19-2012 11:16 PM

This is great news. When my 1LE is paid off they should be a couple of model years in, which will be perfect timing for me to get a Gen 6.

JusticePete 12-19-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by douglat2 (Post 5937449)
I couldn't be happier about this! I was born, raised, and still live in Lansing. When GM tore down half the plants we had here it killed us. It's nice to see more cars being built here. The Grand River Plant is an awesome facility and I can't wait to see the next generation camaros start rolling off the line. As for people worried about us taking pride in our work, you obviously don't know us. We love building cars, it's what we've been doing for generations. We always take pride in the cars that we build in lansing, and now we get to take pride in one of the most iconic name plates in American motoring history.

:respekt:

mlee 12-19-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveagogo1 (Post 5934967)
If it is then great. I only hope that it's built in Lansing with the same pride and quality it is built with in Oshawa. Mike Judge and the Oshawa crew are top notch. Both in building cars and within the Camaro community.

A lot of mixed emotions with this one, but this ^^^^ pretty much sums it up.:respekt:

grocerygetter 12-19-2012 11:41 PM

So camaro5 should do some kind of Oshawa thank u for the 5th gen at 2014 Fest.

velocity149 12-20-2012 12:16 AM

actually, this isn't so bad, right now, i see 5th gen camaros EVERYWHERE in oshawa, and the GTA, if they are made further away, do you think less will be shipped to teh area? I went to teh dealership to buy a camaro, not a car. but alot of people go to teh dealership to buy a car, and decide which one by what they see. right now, oshawa has a good number of camaros in the dealerships, and if that number decreases, we will see more people driving camaros not only becasue thats the car they liked te most st the dealership, but because that is what they wanted to order.

Obzen 12-20-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTRO 2SS (Post 5937424)

Not gonna happen. There's gonna be parts from all kinds of countries of origin. The vast majority of the plastic parts are made in mexico. GM contracts out tons of manufacturers, even for the same part. One piece may be made by 20 different factories. Its the only way to keep costs down and production up. An all american Camaro from top to bottom would cost a fortune.

Not that it wouldn't be cool to have :thumbup: