CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   6th Gen Camaro once again rumored with 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder variant (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263881)

Tran 12-03-2012 09:00 AM

6th Gen Camaro once again rumored with 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder variant

Going back as far as 2008, there have been rumors of a possible turbo 4 cylinder engine for the current Camaro. Even Bob Lutz, who was then the Vice Chairman of GM, alluded to the possibility for the 5th Gen Camaro at the time.

In the years since, the possibility of a turbo 4 cylinder for the next 6th gen Camaro has not only been floated as rumors, but also accepted as a very real possibility, especially as other auto companies have piled on to the forced induction bandwagon in an effort to increase fuel efficiency in the face of ever increasing MPG requirements.

GM Authority now claims that 'sources' (unnamed) have confirmed to them plans for a 2.0L turbocharged four cylinder for the 6th gen Camaro. The next Camaro is likely not due for 2-4 years, and will switch from its current Zeta platform to the smaller and lighter Alpha platform. The offering of a smaller/lighter and more efficient engine option for a smaller/lighter Camaro certainly makes sense.

High displacement fans shouldn't fret though, as the addition of a turbo 4 option doesn't mean that there will not also be V6 and V8 models, which we expect there to be.

midnighter 12-03-2012 09:05 AM

Thank God I was one of the fortunate ones who got to pick up a brand new Camaro while they still look beautiful and got big cojones under the hood.

Tran 12-03-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnighter (Post 5873695)
Thank God I was one of the fortunate ones who got to pick up a brand new Camaro while they still look beautiful and got big cojones under the hood.

And how do you know the next Camaro won't also look beautiful and also still have big cojones under the hood (albeit with the additional option for smaller/more efficient engines)? You don't. :)

RatRacer 12-03-2012 09:13 AM

WTF? I traded in my HHR SS for my Camaro. And now they're going to turn it into one?:facepalm:
At least it will be RWD like the Solstice/Skyy, and should be a fun ride if they can shave 500lbs off it.

There are some guys out there doing some incredible stuff with the Ecotec 2.0T. Mine would hang with the wife's LLT, no problem.

HDRDTD 12-03-2012 09:16 AM

I've said it before, I don't really care HOW theymake the HP as longas the performance is still there.

I suspect that with the 6th Gen, it will be a tad smaller, a bit lighter, and I expect that the engine displacement will be less than the 5th Gens.

Where we have a V6 today,I suspect we'll see a turbo-4 giving us pretty much the same performance as the 6, and I suspect there will be a few V6 options, both NA and FI.

I have a suspicion that the V8's (LT4) will only be available in the 'ZL1' catagory of the 6th Gens.

midnighter 12-03-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tran (Post 5873712)
And how do you know the next Camaro won't also look beautiful and also still have big cojones under the hood (albeit with the additional option for smaller/more efficient engines)? You don't. :)

True, but I am very happy with this body style and engine set up because I always liked the first gen' Camaro and dreamed of getting one someday. My 2010 is like a 1st gen' in a modernized package. Still it will be interesting to see what the 6th gen' will have to offer.
:popcorn:

sonnydurden 12-03-2012 09:22 AM

I think we should just wait and see what happens. I believe the V8 will still be in play...

Juiced1 12-03-2012 09:26 AM

It failed miserably when Ford tried it with the Mustang back in the day. But if that's just a base engine and the LT1 Vette motor is still an option for the SS all should be fine. Especially, with that new light weight rumored about from the ATS Zeta platform. That new ATS rips pretty nicely for a base model Caddy. Dump in the LT1 motor and you have a low 12 high 11 second SS that should handle like it was on rails.

Kahdir 12-03-2012 09:31 AM

I wanna see pics...

I doubt GM/Chevy will get the engines wrong, but the design... that's another story, especially considering how much the Impala will be a non-selling visual disappointment :(

I have a sneaking suspicion they'll try to pass the Code 130r off as a Camaro :(

SlingShot 12-03-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RatRacer (Post 5873715)
WTF? I traded in my HHR SS for my Camaro. And now they're going to turn it into one?:facepalm:
At least it will be RWD like the Solstice/Skyy, and should be a fun ride if they can shave 500lbs off it.

There are some guys out there doing some incredible stuff with the Ecotec 2.0T. Mine would hang with the wife's LLT, no problem.

Our Sky Red line with the GMPP tune would eat out LLT hands down, and would even give our SS a good run. Never under estimate the 2.0T engines, GM knows how to build them right.

upflying 12-03-2012 09:34 AM

Regardless of the performance of a 2.0T, no one can deny a stigma exists with "4 cyl"
Many of us remember this...
http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658527,00.html

DZ28 12-03-2012 09:36 AM

Next gen Camaro resides on Alpha which today has 2.0L Turbo... pretty much a foregone conclusion especially with fuel economy needs beyond 2015. I don't see the V8 going away in a Camaro for at least another 10 years.

Wvlsxjunkie 12-03-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 5873763)
Our Sky Red line with the GMPP tune would eat out LLT hands down, and would even give our SS a good run. Never under estimate the 2.0T engines, GM knows how to build them right.

really? thats pretty impressive.:chevy:

Z/28orSs 12-03-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tran (Post 5873712)

if it looks anything like the ATS then the next gen Camaro has little hope...:barf:

FenwickHockey65 12-03-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z/28orSs (Post 5873782)
if it looks anything like the ATS then the next gen Camaro has little hope...:barf:

ATS's design has gotten nothing but praise from most of the automotive community. Just sayin'.

PYROLYSIS 12-03-2012 09:45 AM

I'm fine with having a turbo 4 cylinder I just want a NA V-6 available as well and I don't want it to cost what an SS costs now. They will do fine with the body style. I love every generation they've made so far.

SSOOCH 12-03-2012 10:23 AM

Forward thinking People. There are some impressive high powered 4cyl engines out there. It's the future. Embrace it!

You gotta admit how silly a big H2 looks driving down the road now. I half expect to see a caveman driving it!

woodside783 12-03-2012 10:24 AM

We will see how the new vet motor dose

daveagogo1 12-03-2012 10:38 AM

Sign me up for the TT V8 please.

Iam Broke 12-03-2012 10:40 AM

Sold a bolted 2.0 Cobalt SS LNF two summers ago. It was 360 whp/400 wtq and ran 60-100 mph in 4.6 sec. About 1.2 sec faster than this SS. It weighed 3k lbs though, not 3800.

Hard to launch & get traction on wrong wheel drive.

I think a turbo DI 6 would be ok in the Camaro. Should be 400 hp easily.

DarkneSS 12-03-2012 10:41 AM

This really worries me. The problem with the current V6 is weight, not power. 300 HP is great for the money. If the V6 lost about 300 pounds it would be a 13 second car out of the box without any power increase.

The ATS platform was a great sign that the V6 car would get that desired 300 pound diet. The ATS is what? 3400 pounds? And it is a Caddy so it is possible a V6 Camaro on the ATS platform could be as low as 3300 pounds.

A 400 pound diet definitely gets our V6 into 13s with no other mods!

BUT a turbo 4 cylinder, stock at least, is not going to be pushing out 300 hP. What will it make? 250-270?

We will get our diet, but also lose power. Making the 6th gen Ls/lt cars just as fast as the current 6.

And sure you can up the boost but how much boost do you think the engine will take?

And a boosted 3300 pound V6 LLT will be much faster than a boosted 3300 pound 4 banger.

All I'm saying is, I hope they keep the LLT in the line up AND offer this engine! If all we can get is the 4 cylinder, it will be a disappointment!

HDRDTD 12-03-2012 10:42 AM

right from the gmauthority web site...

It’s been the ongoing story around the collective automotive blogosphere that the next-generation Chevrolet Camaro will be both smaller and lighter, thanks to the vehicle’s adaptation to GM’s Alpha platform over the more rigid and heavier Zeta architecture it currently rides on. The downsizing will also reflect what’s going to happen in the engine bay, as sources have confirmed with us that a 2.0L turbocharged four cylinder engine will be found in the sixth-generation Camaro, which is still a few years out from launching.
The engine choice doesn’t surprise us, as the next Camaro shapes itself to be a more global performance car and has to adhere to countries that mandate displacement, and even CAFE fuel economy regulations here in the United States. It may be a one-size-fits-all approach, but it in no way means that there will not be a 300-something horsepower V6 or next-generation small block V8 in the lineup, either. And since the next Camaro will be smaller and lighter, it should still make for a fun drive no matter how many cylinders are under its hood.

MikeSVX 12-03-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juiced1 (Post 5873744)
It failed miserably when Ford tried it with the Mustang back in the day. But if that's just a base engine and the LT1 Vette motor is still an option for the SS all should be fine. Especially, with that new light weight rumored about from the ATS Zeta platform. That new ATS rips pretty nicely for a base model Caddy. Dump in the LT1 motor and you have a low 12 high 11 second SS that should handle like it was on rails.

I wouldn't say it failed in the Mustang. It was a good option at the time. The SVO turbo-4 in the 80's was actually faster then the GT's of the same year. Although, the V-8 where so restricted they were down in the 100hp range.

Hylton 12-03-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSVX (Post 5874001)
I wouldn't say it failed in the Mustang. It was a good option at the time. The SVO turbo-4 in the 80's was actually faster then the GT's of the same year. Although, the V-8 where so restricted they were down in the 100hp range.

I agree - the 4 banger Mustang sold well back in the early 80's even though you could have made the car go faster by pushing it. GM's 2.0T is a great powerplant and I fully expect the 6th gen 4 banger to be superior in performance and gas mileage than the current 5th gen LT.

.....and of course the 6th gen will have an 8 available.

camarolt76 12-03-2012 11:19 AM

I think it would be a good thing for GM to offer the 4 liter turbo charged 2.0 engine in addition to the V6 and V8.:thumbsup::chevy: Variety is what makes the world go round, but for me you can't get the V8 sound with a V6 or 4 cylinder engine.:w00t:

trewyn15 12-03-2012 11:21 AM

GM better not ruin the next model Camaro... IMO it shouldn't even have a V6 lol

So a I4 would be absolutely horrible.

v6sonoma 12-03-2012 11:22 AM

Not concerned with this at all. It's the right move. A turbo 4 isn't a bad thing at all. I have been to dyno events where properly tweaked Solstices and sky's put out almost as much HP to the wheels as a stock 5th gen SS and with little modifying.

They will still offer V8's for those like me who wouldn't have it any other way and I suspect they might even offer a V6 at least for the first year to test the waters. I believe that after they see where the take rates go the V6 will fade or they will turbo that and push the V8 up into "ZL1" price brackets only. Of course it all depends on what sells and who's willing to pay for it. $$$ will decide as people make the choices for GM with their wallets.

At any rate I suspect we'll end up with a 6th gen Camaro that most of us will love, some will hate, and others will love but complain about them not doing ____X____. :chevy:

ShnOmac 12-03-2012 11:28 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jME95yG1z9...ky-Falling.jpg

Ice Demon 12-03-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juiced1 (Post 5873744)

:word: most likely the engine will probably be something like what was in the cobalt SS TC. I wouldn't buy a 4 banger camaro but it should appeal well to those that want a good mpg. As long as there is a option for a big v8 I'm happy :thumbsup:

TastyBake 12-03-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZ28 (Post 5873774)
Next gen Camaro resides on Alpha which today has 2.0L Turbo... pretty much a foregone conclusion especially with fuel economy needs beyond 2015. I don't see the V8 going away in a Camaro for at least another 10 years.

Not really.

Just because a car shares a platform doesn't mean they will have the same engine. Manufacturers have mixed platforms and engines. Making some engines exclusive to specific models.

As mentioned by others, the Skyline 2.0T was pretty serious. Since the LFX is a pretty advanced engine, I doubt they will throw it away.

"Camaro with a 4 cyl 'just ain't right'" is tradition. Its just a name of a car. If the marketing is executed correctly, then people will buy it. I agree the V8 isn't going anywhere. Don't underestimate engineering.

I mean can you imagine the SS V8 in a lighter model?!!

RatRacer 12-03-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 5873763)

I had the cobbled for HHR Solstice/Sky GMPP tune on mine(auto). It was impressive when it wasn't in the shop for eating map sensors/reduced power mode. The LNF would rip if you could get the open ended transaxle to hook up.

trewyn15 12-03-2012 11:38 AM

Might as well just put pedals in the damn thing and make it a pedal car.

Ice Demon 12-03-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 5874167)

Good idea that setup would get great gas mileage :laugh:

trewyn15 12-03-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Demon (Post 5874183)
Good idea that setup would get great gas mileage :laugh:

It would help America to lose the 'obese' stereotype too :D

(I'm not calling any Camaro owners fat or overweight)

FenwickHockey65 12-03-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trewyn15 (Post 5874167)

:facepalm::facepalm:

Obviously you people aren't familiar with just how good GM's 2.0T is. There's a reason a lot of people prefer the ATS 2.0T over the more powerful LFX.

Ice Demon 12-03-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 5874228)

Obviously you people aren't familiar with just how good GM's 2.0T is. There's a reason a lot of people prefer the ATS 2.0T over the more powerful LFX.

O believe me I know but that doesn't mean I want one in a camaro. Put it in a Sonic, Impala, Malibu, and so on. I just fear the day I see a fart can on a Camaro. Like I said earlier as long as they make a big v8 as a option I'm happy.

doc7000 12-03-2012 12:03 PM

The 2.0 turbo in the ats produces 272bhp in a 3400-3450 pound car.

BiG_TiMe 12-03-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkneSS (Post 5873968)
All I'm saying is, I hope they keep the LLT in the line up AND offer this engine! If all we can get is the 4 cylinder, it will be a disappointment!

i thought the LLT is already out. don't all the current V6's have LFX engines?

FenwickHockey65 12-03-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Demon (Post 5874254)
O believe me I know but that doesn't mean I want one in a camaro. Put it in a Sonic, Impala, Malibu, and so on. I just fear the day I see a fart can on a Camaro. Like I said earlier as long as they make a big v8 as a option I'm happy.

There will be still be a V8.

meissen 12-03-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 5874228)

There's little to no hope with the folks on this site anymore... the 5th gen is the best, most wonderfullest vehicle ever produced in the history of the Camaro platform and there's just absolutely no way possible that GM could ever improve upon the best vehicle GM ever made....... (troll face)

I welcome the idea of an I4. It's almost a given with the ATS. When the 5th generation was under development we all followed the CTS for clues to what the 5th gen powertrain would look like. Now it's the 6th gen with the ATS. I know a lot of you think the Camaro should only be produced with a v8, but that's why you guys aren't in business... your thinking is flat out wrong and would ruin the vehicle since the v8 sales alone wouldn't carry the vehicle line to profitability. The vehicle needs to be available to the masses and sell. If a 6th gen with an I4 comes out at a 17,000-19,000 price point (wishful thinking) then it opens the 6th gen to a whole new group of buyers and that's a good thing.