CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Future 5th gen or 6th gen Camaro to get 440hp 5.5L V8 (from C7 Corvette)? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92463)

76z28 06-29-2010 08:47 PM

Future 5th gen or 6th gen Camaro to get 440hp 5.5L V8 (from C7 Corvette)?

As reported on CAMARO5 HOMEPAGE.

i wonder if the camaro will get it
makes 440 horse
be cool to see a 5.7 also come out making like 500
and a 5 liter with like 400 horse

Quote:

According to Motor Trend, which is citing unnamed sources within General Motors, the next-generation Corvette will come with a brand-new engine. Despite rumors to the contrary, it seems that Chevrolet's halo vehicle will continue using its trademark V8 engine and not a V6. Still, the C7's powerplant will be downsized from its current 6.2 or 7.0 liters.

It's likely that this new engine will be the first application of GM's next-gen small block family, and we'd expect it to sport direct injection, E85 capability and a new combustion system design. One thing not to expect, though: overhead cams. You can bank on the fact that The General will stick to its tried-and-true overhead valve design, which serves to lower manufacturing costs and allows for comparatively small overall engine dimensions.

All of these technologies should make the venerable V8 more fuel efficient and cleaner, but also sufficiently powerful to uphold its sportscar heritage. In fact, Motor Trend reports that the C7's V8 will displace 5.5 liters while hammering out 440 horsepower. Though that significantly smaller in displacement, the power figure would actually be up from the current 430 ponies. We can hardly wait... but we'll have to anyway. We don't expect the next Corvette to bow before 2012 at the earliest.

SSinatra Andretti 06-29-2010 08:51 PM

sounds nice

v6sonoma 06-29-2010 09:06 PM

Just read that on autoblog. I would say it will end up in the camaro at some point. I wonder what it gets for MPG's?

Huck1974 06-29-2010 09:19 PM

That will suck. Why tune up a smaller motor. Are we trying to be Ford. Possibly limiting HP increases? Forced by government regulations?

khabboub 06-29-2010 09:30 PM

dang that would be exciting, my dad is waiting on the C7 to come out.

iPODFAN11 06-29-2010 10:24 PM

Hmm...first in the C7 vette? Last I recall the trucks were to debut the Gen V small block...I believe that word might have come from GM too...

...goes back to searching...

Tonawanda Engine did say that the Gen V production at their plant will start 2012, so Gen V isnt too far off...year and a half or so...

LS3SSRS 06-29-2010 11:44 PM

still would prefer a DI 6.2L... keep the displacement, and add more power/efficiency.

LimaCharlie 06-30-2010 12:47 AM

First of all, the Camaro power rating will always be lower than the Corvette, even if the engine is the same. I actually like the fact that the engine will be smaller in displacement. More hp per litre = better, more efficient design and engineering. Ford is essentially making the same power with its 5.0 engine compared to the 6.2 LS3. To me, that is impressive. With a 440 hp 5.5 litre engine, GM will be giving the 5.0 a run for its money in efficiency and design (especially with a single cam, pushrod engine ;)).

wylde1 06-30-2010 10:16 AM

I wonder what that will do for the TQ numbers. I'm a fan of smaller displacement higher revving engines, but they're usually a different purpose. A muscle car should be built for TQ, a race car should be build for HP. Makes sense to put it in the vette, I'd like to see it in the camaro if it makes gobs of TQ too.

vm1971 06-30-2010 10:20 AM

for SS?
only cause thats a while away... (next gen camaro)
and already... the refreshed Chally SRT-8 is gonna be packin' 480HP...very soon.

the camaro (in the HP wars) needs to top 'em all! (SS-wise, not counting Z28)
we shall see....

a_Username 06-30-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LimaCharlie (Post 2043189)
First of all, the Camaro power rating will always be lower than the Corvette, even if the engine is the same. I actually like the fact that the engine will be smaller in displacement. More hp per litre = better, more efficient design and engineering. Ford is essentially making the same power with its 5.0 engine compared to the 6.2 LS3. To me, that is impressive. With a 440 hp 5.5 litre engine, GM will be giving the 5.0 a run for its money in efficiency and design (especially with a single cam, pushrod engine ;)).

It's all about cost efficiency, and whatever is done on the 5.0L to make it a more efficient design can be done to the 6.2L later.

76z28 06-30-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm1971 (Post 2044137)
for SS?
only cause thats a while away... (next gen camaro)
and already... the refreshed Chally SRT-8 is gonna be packin' 480HP...very soon.

the camaro (in the HP wars) needs to top 'em all! (SS-wise, not counting Z28)
we shall see....

i saw that...and an 8speed auto...

Blade 06-30-2010 11:44 AM

Here's the reason why I am glad I am still waiting to buy a SS. If they put that engine on the 6th gen platform, I can't even start to imagine how fast that V8 will be.

KarFan 06-30-2010 12:05 PM

First of all this is Motor Trend so not the best source for details. The Gen V V8 isn't much of a rumor and it's launch in the C7 is fairly common knowledge. It's the details on the direct injection and cam in block that are the real important stuff.

I wouldn't take the 5.5L part to be very accurate for the production engine. 5.5L is what the C6R races right now in the ALMS per regulations. The actual debut of the Gen V V8 will likely be in the C6R's in ALMS as a racing engine. Production based engines are going to be required in that sport. And thats a good thing for us. But it doesn't mean that a production Gen V will have to be 5.5L and I don't think it will.

Lastly if there is a performance V8 and a Camaro in GM's lineup at the same time you can bet there will be a variant of the Camaro that carrys the mil.