CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   Universal fmic help (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512284)

6th_gen_gino 11-01-2017 10:09 PM

Universal fmic help

Tomorrow I'll be purchasing a universal front mount intercooler from cxracing, along with piping, couplers, and t-bolt clamps. I'm curious to if the dimensions of his intercooler will fit.

https://www.cxracing.com/intercooler...nlet/IC0006-30

rorymick 11-01-2017 11:25 PM

I think it would be wise to buy a kit that is designed for the Camaro. ZZP is a proven name in the LTG community and they make a FMIC kit I believe.

6th_gen_gino 11-02-2017 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rorymick (Post 9961007)
I think it would be wise to buy a kit that is designed for the Camaro. ZZP is a proven name in the LTG community and they make a FMIC kit I believe.

I get your point but I can't see me spending 800 bucks when I can make my own kit and have it fabricated to fit for about half the price

15CamaroV6 11-02-2017 09:14 AM

shit!!!! If they had the pipes i would jump on this as i have a tune upcoming.

Beast-Y-Blue 11-02-2017 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6th_gen_gino (Post 9960957)
Tomorrow I'll be purchasing a universal front mount intercooler from cxracing, along with piping, couplers, and t-bolt clamps. I'm curious to if the dimensions of his intercooler will fit.

https://www.cxracing.com/intercooler...nlet/IC0006-30

A guy fit 30x12x4 fimc on his camaro.... i was surprised it fit .... but whos know how well it performs cause if it too big , ot looses pressure therefore looses some power

6th_gen_gino 11-02-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beast-Y-Blue (Post 9961766)
A guy fit 30x12x4 fimc on his camaro.... i was surprised it fit .... but whos know how well it performs cause if it too big , ot looses pressure therefore looses some power

I just bought the intercooler this morning it's 25x11.75x3 I was scared about it being to big bua now I feel better lol

Jason@JacFab 11-02-2017 06:08 PM

The one I got from mishimoto is 24.5 x 13.1 x 3, and I know it will fit. I imagine you'll be fine.

6th_gen_gino 11-02-2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason@ (Post 9961903)
The one I got from mishimoto is 24.5 x 13.1 x 3, and I know it will fit. I imagine you'll be fine.

Perfect, I'm gonna bring it to a shop to get custom piping, couplers and elbows. Idk if it would be better to buy some universal piping off eBay along with couplers and elbows to save money but I wouldn't know which parts to get

turbojeep95 11-02-2017 07:35 PM

Go for it! Give us a write up when your done.

6th_gen_gino 11-02-2017 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbojeep95 (Post 9962009)
Go for it! Give us a write up when your done.

Will do, the local shop isn't gonna be able to get me till next week and another guy suggested by a close friend is busy with another project :(

ChicagoTommy 11-03-2017 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rorymick (Post 9961007)

None of the available aftermarket intercoolers are 'designed' for the Camaro or any other car. No actual engineering was involved. They measured up the available space, found a preexisting core and end tanks, then made up some brackets and pipes same as Gino is doing.

You'll go a lot faster, and save a ton of money if you altered your view a bit. No one is reinventing the wheel here, it's just an intercooler, and those have known performance characteristics. Y amount of core volume will provide Z amount of cooling. You don't need to pay the asshole tax!

I'm not saying YOU specifically, I mean YOU as in everyone that reads the post.

6th_gen_gino 11-03-2017 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoTommy (Post 9962244)
None of the available aftermarket intercoolers are 'designed' for the Camaro or any other car. No actual engineering was involved. They measured up the available space, found a preexisting core and end tanks, then made up some brackets and pipes same as Gino is doing.

You'll go a lot faster, and save a ton of money if you altered your view a bit. No one is reinventing the wheel here, it's just an intercooler, and those have known performance characteristics. Y amount of core volume will provide Z amount of cooling. You don't need to pay the asshole tax!

I'm not saying YOU specifically, I mean YOU as in everyone that reads the post.

That was my exact thought process, I couldn't seem to justify 800 bucks on the same shot u can eat done yourself for maybe 400 bucks probably less

Ashium 11-03-2017 07:54 AM

I’ve pretty much always made my own kits, back before all the Chinese shit hit the markets you were lucky to find a performance intercooler (no pipes) for under $1000. Back then we’d use Isuzu NPR intercoolers for cheap front mounts. Then I’d just order a few mandrel bent aluminum pipes, couplers and cut to fit. You can mark the positions and look for a local welder or fab shop to join the pipes, or just run a bunch a couplers. To bead roll the pipes I would just take a set of wire crimpers, cut off the cutters, and your left with a low budget crimping tool.

It’s a little bit of work, but it will save you a few hundred $$.

Smart move and good luck.

ChicagoTommy 11-03-2017 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6th_gen_gino (Post 9961848)
I just bought the intercooler this morning it's 25x11.75x3 I was scared about it being to big bua now I feel better lol

Where did you buy your intercooler? I've been poking around looking at the higher end products like treadstone and spearco which are both around $500, as well as frozen boost for like $149. I don't mind spending the money on a superior part, as long as it provides superior performance.

When I eventually get the 'big' build going, that will definitely be an air to water setup, as air to air can never bring boost temp below ambient temp.

I'm really glad to see you taking this project on! I wish there was more of a DIY/"can do" type spirit within the community. That is part of the reason why EBM's are so much faster currently! No one is willing to try anything outside the box!