Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How will history judge the 5th Gen SS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575441)

danielle 05-17-2020 07:17 AM

I personally chose my car because of that "classic" look. I would love to have an old 60's Camaro, but just not practical for me. To go a step further.......I believe the 2010 - 2013 are the best when looking for that classic look and I'm just putting it out there I believe one day those will be a well sought after car.

byrds8 05-17-2020 07:28 AM

If you stop and think about it, its all of us and the younger versions of us that will decide if this car is a classic or not. I loved these cars when I was growing up. Although I will admit, I didnt care for the 3rd gens as much. I owned a second gen and wish I still had it today. I agree though, it will be the electronics and the "throw away" society we live in that will hinder any car from being the classic they deserve to be.

legbuh 05-17-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RupertPupkin (Post 10790380)
They made a butt load.. highly doubt it’s going to be a collectible item. Maybe the Z28, but not a car that was mass produced.

Kinda like that VW Beetle. It never became collectible. ;)

Just kidding with you. Take care of your car and keep it for 50 years and no doubt it will be collectible. But as far as collectible sooner I agree the Z28 and ZL1s may be, but if they bubble the others will probably rise in value as well.

mikeman 05-17-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byrds8 (Post 10791520)
If you stop and think about it, its all of us and the younger versions of us that will decide if this car is a classic or not. I loved these cars when I was growing up. Although I will admit, I didnt care for the 3rd gens as much. I owned a second gen and wish I still had it today. I agree though, it will be the electronics and the "throw away" society we live in that will hinder any car from being the classic they deserve to be.

I liked the 3rd gens when they first came out. They looked like a wedge shaped F-16 fighter jet back in the day. Yeah, performance was low, but everything was slow back then.

I think the problem is they never changed them for a long time. From '85 to '90, they looked exactly the same except for slight wheel design changes. By the time they freshened them up for '91, the design was already getting outdated. Pontiac seemed to do a better job on the refreshes through the years though. I guess they had more money for the mid-cycle updates than Chevy did. lol!.

I never cared for the duster buster shaped 4th gens that much. However, when the SS and WS6 Ram Air came out, they improve the looks significantly with their more muscular "pumped up" appearance on those models.

The 1st gens are a definitely classic especially the '69. So, when the 5th gen came out, I was hooked. When they refreshened them in '14, I had to get one. I'm glad I did.:thumbup:

Moto-Mojo 05-17-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danial (Post 10791372)
Definitely the Z/28. And it WILL be my next Camaro.

There was a white 2015 at my then local dealership. It was still in the showroom well into 2016 when I was there for service. They REALLY wanted to sell it to me but were still asking like $70K. I simply didn’t have the jack. :bonk:

joekono 05-17-2020 02:35 PM

Good topic. Definitely a classic. Many 2010 owners from what I have gathered from this forum still have their cars so their halfway to the 20 year line. Throw in the computers and the knowledge we have access to and I think many of us will keep our C5's. I just love the body and lines. There's a great book called "A Legend Reborn" by Larry Edsall(I bought it on Amazon for like 20 bucks). It shows the whole process for the C5 from beginning until the 2010 roll out. Did a lot of research and thank God I picked the C5 Camaro.

Yellow 1 05-17-2020 03:51 PM

Nah, GM made over 600,000 of these things. Let's be honest, most of us buy 'em to modify, beat on or race ( and cos they're a cheap muscle car) No rarity value except for the Z28. Maybe if GM had offered plenty of tick box options ( like the first gen) then there'd be rare combos of options but no, never going to attain the status of previous legends. Told both my boys that when I'm done with her you can have her but she'll need work and a drivetrain refresh....

InFiD3ViL 05-17-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow 1 (Post 10791873)
Nah, GM made over 600,000 of these things. Let's be honest, most of us buy 'em to modify, beat on or race ( and cos they're a cheap muscle car) No rarity value except for the Z28. Maybe if GM had offered plenty of tick box options ( like the first gen) then there'd be rare combos of options but no, never going to attain the status of previous legends. Told both my boys that when I'm done with her you can have her but she'll need work and a drivetrain refresh....

It's hard to tell based on production numbers alone. I imagine it also depends on how many are left 30 years from now. Most people tend to take very good care of these cars and also they are built like tanks, so that doesn't really bode well for future value.

byrds8 05-18-2020 07:21 AM

Maybe there are more of these built because there are over 100M more people in the US now compared to 1969. Supply meet demand. Back when the first gens were built, no one ever sat around and thought, "This car will be a classic one day." They just bought the car because they liked it and as they disappeared due to accidents/age and there were few left, they became classics. People still want them and like the because of the look and feel. They really do not make them like they use to. In time, these will disappear also and hopefully people in the future will look back and miss the mean muscle car look and sound and ours will be the new classic.

pyroguy 05-18-2020 08:14 AM

I think the 5th gen will be looked upon fondly and certain cars will be worth more, but not for at least another 20-30 years. The ones that will be worth more will likely be Z/28, ZL1, early production cars, certain special editions, and limited colors like the synergy colors (ABM, SGM). However, don't worry about future collectability unless your car has <40,000 miles in 30 years. Collectors aren't interested in 100k+ mile cars unless they're after the shell so they can say they have a 5th gen Camaro with whatever drivetrain/interior/etc they want to throw in it.

mikeman 05-18-2020 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byrds8 (Post 10792210)
Maybe there are more of these built because there are over 100M more people in the US now compared to 1969. Supply meet demand. Back when the first gens were built, no one ever sat around and thought, "This car will be a classic one day." They just bought the car because they liked it and as they disappeared due to accidents/age and there were few left, they became classics. People still want them and like the because of the look and feel. They really do not make them like they use to. In time, these will disappear also and hopefully people in the future will look back and miss the mean muscle car look and sound and ours will be the new classic.

They built more of the older Camaros than they ever did the newer ones like the 5th gen.

They made over 243,085 Camaros for 1969 and there were fewer people in the U.S. like you mentioned. The single largest production year for the 5th gen was 2011 when 88,249 were made.

Just to give you a historical perspective on everything. Back in 1979, they made over 84,877 Camaro Z28's. That's just one model.

byrds8 05-18-2020 02:08 PM

Oops my bad. I thought someone above said they made over 600K of them lol. That is the only reason I pointed it out. I guess sales of the Camaro sure have taken a dump over the years then. T

mikeman 05-18-2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byrds8 (Post 10792521)
Oops my bad. I thought someone above said they made over 600K of them lol. That is the only reason I pointed it out. I guess sales of the Camaro sure have taken a dump over the years then. T

That's over the whole 6 model year production run bro. In the old days, it was a lot higher because the market was very different. Still, the 5th can be considered a huge sales success using today's standards.

The 6th gen? Uhhh, not so much.

byrds8 05-18-2020 04:34 PM

Although I do like my 5th gen overall better, there are a few interior items I wish was in her from the 6th. Some things I just look at and wonder what were they thinking lol. The 6th gen front though looks like its squinting vs being mean.