CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Another trusted industry source says, “Bye-bye, Camaro.” (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559461)

6sigma 08-02-2019 02:43 PM

Since we are speculating... what if Camaro dies, but a RWD, front-engine, 2+2 lives on as a Corvette Mako (or some other name, not a Camaro). It could be non-V8, maybe turbo 6 or 4, maybe hybrid or all electric variants. Wouldn't matter since it isn't a Camaro.

Something like this -

Corvette Stingray = C8 as we know it
Corvette Mako = RWD, front engine, 2-door, 2+2
Corvette Z06 = TT V8 wide body C8
Corvette Zora = king of the hill performance hybrid TT V8 1000+ total system HP

DaveC113 08-02-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6sigma (Post 10587203)
Since we are speculating... what if Camaro dies, but a RWD, front-engine, 2+2 lives on as a Corvette Mako (or some other name, not a Camaro). It could be non-V8, maybe turbo 6 or 4, maybe hybrid or all electric variants. Wouldn't matter since it isn't a Camaro.

Something like this -

Corvette Stingray = C8 as we know it
Corvette Mako = RWD, front engine, 2-door, 2+2
Corvette Z06 = TT V8 wide body C8
Corvette Zora = king of the hill performance hybrid TT V8 1000+ total system HP

That's what I was thinking, and IMO the marketing is far better for a new Corvette front-engine GT car just like the Camaro but with better visibility, practicality and new styling. A car that most BMW M-car or AMG drivers would actually consider, just like a ton of new people that would not consider a Vette are now considering the C8 Vette...

Gen_Nick3.8 08-02-2019 04:45 PM

GM created its own demise for the 6th Gen, Not listening to customers etc... I know many 6th gen owners who went to mustang/dodge and like those cars much better

MackSteelPrivateEye 08-02-2019 05:39 PM

I they get rid of Camaro, then just rid of Chevy too. In fact just let GM Fold. Same with Ford, Chrysler. Just have all buy foreign cars, open the borders and turn the US into a sh!thole and become dependent on China and Japan for our products. Turn the US over to the highest bidder.:facepalm:

s346k 08-03-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye (Post 10587306)
I they get rid of Camaro, then just rid of Chevy too. In fact just let GM Fold. Same with Ford, Chrysler. Just have all buy foreign cars, open the borders and turn the US into a sh!thole and become dependent on China and Japan for our products. Turn the US over to the highest bidder.:facepalm:

that escalated quickly.

Dave-ROR 08-03-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

I think you are GREATLY overvaluing the Camaro's value to GM.

And if you want someone to blame for the proliferation of cheap chinese products you can start with your fellow Americans who want everything at the cheapest price possible. Sure, there are plenty of contributing factors but how many Americans do you think would pay 1.5-2x more for a US made product vs the same exact product made in China, even with the nasty machining oil they use that provides that sweet harbor freight smell?

I know some people who do. They aren't the majority.

Johnman 08-03-2019 10:52 AM

I've got an idea Chevy-why not give the car some practicality (usable back seat and trunk), then actually ADVERTISE the damn thing? Worked for Dodge....:der:

RobbyBeefcake87 08-03-2019 12:19 PM

I've seen rumors suggesting gm is waiting to see what happens with the market before making a decision on the next camaros direction. The next viable rear wheel drive platform will be ready for 2025 as suggested already, and the camaro will either get discontinued in 2023 or extend to 2025.

Doc 08-03-2019 12:58 PM

To me it looks like the entire American auto industry is stuck. They don't really have a vision of anything other than going electric and autonomous. The electric part still has its issues, and the autonomous part I don't see a lot of the public being much in favor of. Right now the industry is just basically riding the truck/SUV bandwagon for as long as it lasts, hoping it doesn't end, but it will and when it saturates and flattens out, then what? They've already given up the passenger car market to all the foreign companies. Can you see the truck/SUV market wanting to pay those prices for an autonomous version? I don't. So where do the auto companies think they're going?

Part of the problem to some degree is that they're still basically doing things they way they have for the last 70 years or more, but the world is vastly different than it was then. Times have changed. Media and communication has also changed. The American family doesn't all sit around watching TV after dinner every night the way they used to. Attention-wise, they're all over the place now.

The whole industry needs to reinvent itself in many ways, including manufacturing and distributing as well as marketing, but they aren't. They've become stagnant and it's showing. The world industry/market is now a reality, and that's something they have to deal with, which includes labor; something the unions do NOT want to deal with. They'd better wake up and smell the coffee before the hand writing on the wall 'splains it to them. Don't expect that the taxpayers are going to be willing to keep bailing them out either. They need to change and come up with a fresh approach to everything, or they'll just whither away. It won't happen this year or the next, but there's a steady degradation that's not going to stop if they don't figure it out. Blaming the customer isn't the solution. Everything else has changed, they need to change too.

RenegadeXR 08-03-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50MileSmile (Post 10586396)
GM was quick to make styling and packaging changes for the 2020 model year, but the Camaro nameplate may once again be shelved after the 2023 model year, according to one report. An expected redesign of the car in 2021 was reportedly canceled.

If this has any credit (big "if), the 2021 redesign is interesting and kind of believable. It would mean GM is still struggling to strike a chord with buyers after the 2019/2020 refreshes. It might be wise to leave things alone, since some people are starting to make fun of the car for how many different font ends its had since 2016 -- original SS, original RS, ZL1, refresh SS, refresh RS, and finally tweaked refresh fascia. That's 6 freaking fascias in just 4 years. Compare that to the 5th gen which basically had 3 front ends, granted the SS and RS were very similar to each other both pre and post refresh.

triggerjerk 08-03-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 10587749)
To me it looks like the entire American auto industry is stuck. They don't really have a vision of anything other than going electric and autonomous. The electric part still has its issues, and the autonomous part I don't see a lot of the public being much in favor of.

I agree with this. Electric vehicles are cheaper to make. Autonomous vehicle development is very politically correct for a bailed out company like GM. Plus, who knows how much money in grants they are getting to develop autonomous cars.

Number 3 08-03-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggerjerk (Post 10587786)
I agree with this. Electric vehicles are cheaper to make. Autonomous vehicle development is very politically correct for a bailed out company like GM. Plus, who knows how much money in grants they are getting to develop autonomous cars.

Due to the high cost of batteries EVs remain more expensive to make. This is slowly changing but Battery costs aren’t there yet.

https://www.transportation.gov/av/grants

Deputy Dog 08-03-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

No!...The attempt is to prevent that now.:gossip:

Deputy Dog 08-03-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 10587548)
I think you are GREATLY overvaluing the Camaro's value to GM.

And if you want someone to blame for the proliferation of cheap chinese products you can start with your fellow Americans who want everything at the cheapest price possible. Sure, there are plenty of contributing factors but how many Americans do you think would pay 1.5-2x more for a US made product vs the same exact product made in China, even with the nasty machining oil they use that provides that sweet harbor freight smell?

I know some people who do. They aren't the majority.

I would if it meant American jobs. The American job you save may be your own.