Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   your guess on the z/28 1/4 times and mph (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289356)

backtotintops 07-10-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson (Post 6771089)
but there is no guarantee that that's enough to do anything more than extend the number of cycles to failure. Actually, if the reduced grip of a parking lot is enough to make wheel hop a big enough factor, the diff might die even sooner.

why are you concerned about the diff failing? It has something like a quaife right and has a dedicated cooler right...I know the half shafts are thicker and hence better for drags on a zl1 but the weight is worse for a road course car. Porsche gt3s can burn out all day long...nobody is worried about the diff...i say relax...let the car come out...have some fun if you are lucky enough to get one.

shaffe 07-10-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backtotintops (Post 6771216)
why are you concerned about the diff failing? It has something like a quaife right and has a dedicated cooler right...I know the half shafts are thicker and hence better for drags on a zl1 but the weight is worse for a road course car. Porsche gt3s can burn out all day long...nobody is worried about the diff...i say relax...let the car come out...have some fun if you are lucky enough to get one.

It also came right from GM that the diff is not recommended for drag strip use

backtotintops 07-10-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaffe (Post 6771526)
It also came right from GM that the diff is not recommended for drag strip use

Ok...I am not doubting you but I would like to read the wording on that. Please provide the GM link.

thanks

shaffe 07-11-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backtotintops (Post 6772285)
Ok...I am not doubting you but I would like to read the wording on that. Please provide the GM link.

thanks

Here is the quote, I know it is somewhere here on C5. Perhaps someone can find it.

"How fast will the Z/28 be in 0-60? In the quarter mile?
The true performance of the Z/28 will be measured in lap times, not straight-line performance. To preserve the track-focused nature of the Z/28, it doesn’t have the strengthened differential and half shafts of the ZL1, and is not recommended for drag racing. The new Z/28 is designed to be the most track-capable Camaro ever produced by the factory."

Fraxum 07-11-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backtotintops (Post 6770945)
???...this car is not even out yet and people are worried???

This is a street car and will easily handle autox launches and saturday night street fun etc...don't sweat it. I have never used launch control...but this car has it and doesn't that get you 95% the best launch anyway for a non pro?

If you put drag radials on it, blower and mod it for the strip then you are on your own.

The best launches are with TC off and no LC.

We can all stop worrying, if you are careful you can safely launch a 600 RWHP pedestrian LS3 M6 SS with DRs, a stock diff and axles, and not break anything. If you try a hero launch then boom. Drivers choice.

Norm Peterson 07-12-2013 05:54 AM

Driver's choice . . . . . subject to the heat of the moment.

Norm