CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   6th gen Camaro 1LE (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=296)
-   -   So who's planning on buying a 2021 SS1LE A10 auto? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575571)

Dragon08 05-18-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyestick (Post 10792197)
With the strong possibility of shoulder surgery (right shoulder), in the near future, my days of driving stick are numbered.

I will gladly welcome the addition of a 10-spd auto equipped 1LE.

Bring it on.

I had similar thoughts. This left knee is not going to last forever, way its going. I am concerned that even if I get a new one, it will impact my ability to depress the clutch. Hopefully knee replacements will be even better in 10 years.
I agonized over getting the 1LE because of the knee thing, and the fact that my wife doesn't yet know how to drive a stick. Not sure she will ever want to drive it anyway.
Will I replace it with an A10? Nope. When it comes to women and cars, I mate for life. My decision is made. Till death do us part. If something tragic happens to my 1LE, would I get the A10....Man IDK. I'd probably wait for the electric.

Would I question somebody with the A10 in their 1LE. F no. Its equal to me. Just like I expect they won't mock me for the M6 as they out run me on the track. (Which there's no way I could blame that on the M6) Feel free to mock my driving skilz though.

I DD a 2001 Aztek, I can take it.

*Ridiculous note - I actually injured myself driving to work in a M6 Sonic RS a bunch of years ago. My knee popped funky when I went to push in the clutch. It was shortly after I turned 40, and it hobbled me for....a couple months. I was like, oh man, Dad was right. 40 sucks! So thats the source of my joint anxiety.

URBAN LEGEND 05-18-2020 05:16 PM

That A10 will make that car real good on the highway. Especially when engaging PS.

TRZ06 05-18-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon08 (Post 10792659)
I had similar thoughts. This left knee is not going to last forever, way its going. I am concerned that even if I get a new one, it will impact my ability to depress the clutch. Hopefully knee replacements will be even better in 10 years.
I agonized over getting the 1LE because of the knee thing, and the fact that my wife doesn't yet know how to drive a stick. Not sure she will ever want to drive it anyway.
Will I replace it with an A10? Nope. When it comes to women and cars, I mate for life. My decision is made. Till death do us part. If something tragic happens to my 1LE, would I get the A10....Man IDK. I'd probably wait for the electric.

Would I question somebody with the A10 in their 1LE. F no. Its equal to me. Just like I expect they won't mock me for the M6 as they out run me on the track. (Which there's no way I could blame that on the M6) Feel free to mock my driving skilz though.

I DD a 2001 Aztek, I can take it.

*Ridiculous note - I actually injured myself driving to work in a M6 Sonic RS a bunch of years ago. My knee popped funky when I went to push in the clutch. It was shortly after I turned 40, and it hobbled me for....a couple months. I was like, oh man, Dad was right. 40 sucks! So thats the source of my joint anxiety.

I am in the DCT auto or bust camp.

The only auto I will ever have is a DCT. As quick as the new autos are on the upshift, they will never match that instant crisp downshift that you get from a DCT.

URBAN LEGEND 05-18-2020 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZ06 (Post 10792706)
I am in the DCT auto or bust camp.

The only auto I will ever have is a DCT. As quick as the new autos are on the upshift, they will never match that instant crisp downshift that you get from a DCT.

Never is not a good word to use.

porkchop express 05-18-2020 07:43 PM

I never thought in this day and age I would be driving two manuals. My daily is a Focus st. Manuals are just to much fun.

TRZ06 05-18-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND (Post 10792711)
Never is not a good word to use.

In this case, I think it is safe to say. With a DCT the gear is already selected and just swaps cogs.

In a traditional auto, it has to actually disengage and engage the next gear.

Unless they make a torque converter tranny that acts as a DCT and has the next gear spinning ready to be engaged instantly, I think it is safe to say you will not match a DCT on the downshift.

In addition to the actual downshift being slower than a DCT, there is also more paddle lag. From the time you click the paddle to the time it takes to register and actually do the change does not match a DCT either.

URBAN LEGEND 05-18-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZ06 (Post 10792830)
In this case, I think it is safe to say. With a DCT the gear is already selected and just swaps cogs.

In a traditional auto, it has to actually disengage and engage the next gear.

Unless they make a torque converter tranny that acts as a DCT and has the next gear spinning ready to be engaged instantly, I think it is safe to say you will not match a DCT on the downshift.

In addition to the actual downshift being slower than a DCT, there is also more paddle lag. From the time you click the paddle to the time it takes to register and actually do the change does not match a DCT either.

I know how DCT works (09 M3/13 M5/16 M5/18 M3). Do you own the A10? Never Is not a good word.

Boost Creep 05-18-2020 10:05 PM

It has it's uses.
I'll never be young again.
The sun will never fart rainbows.
I'd never buy a Prius.

:thumbup:

TrackClub 05-18-2020 11:51 PM

I may get an A10. And i would just leave it in auto.
I was very impressed by this tranny watching the ZL1 Ring run. The tranny seemed almost telepathic as far as downshifts. 1le manual is excellent imo. But, at this stage, the less workload for a driver means a faster driver (for me). Cheers!

7speed 05-19-2020 12:15 AM

Glad there are more choices for people. I don't think I personally would trade mine because I like sticks and didn't get certain cars in the past because they were auto only. Now of course that may change as time goes on but I wouldn't get rid of a car just to get auto version of same thing. If I were to get rid of current 1le and stayed with coupes and went auto maybe Zl1 but probably something different like Supra. Most likely I see keeping current 1le (since not a lot of manual v8 cars to chose from) and in a few years getting Ford Bronco or Wrangler, or truck as daily.

URBAN LEGEND 05-19-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrackClub (Post 10792937)
I may get an A10. And i would just leave it in auto.
I was very impressed by this tranny watching the ZL1 Ring run. The tranny seemed almost telepathic as far as downshifts. 1le manual is excellent imo. But, at this stage, the less workload for a driver means a faster driver (for me). Cheers!

The tranny seems to have 2 personalities. One is in Performance Shift mode where everything happens fast and angry. Like shooting a rifle. Bang, bang, bang. Up shifting or downshifting happens quick and in a hurry.

Then you have regular grocery getting mode. Downshifts are soft and so are the upshifts. So driving around town won’t be spectacular.

That’s my take on 16k miles of the A10 compared to over 150k miles of DCT.

BlackbeastSS2 05-19-2020 07:41 AM

Well this my opinion. The 1LE is a for the track and it’s truly an amazing beast in the original M6 format. If your thinking of getting the A10 in the 1LE look at the current C8 drivers on a course. It looks boring with both hands on the wheel clicking away at those paddle shifters.

Xaxas 05-19-2020 09:24 AM

Is this the same A10 in the ZL1 or is it the lame A8 "Now with 2 extra gears for free!" truck transmission in the more plebeian models?

DC5 05-19-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boost Creep (Post 10792890)
It has it's uses.
I'll never be young again.
The sun will never fart rainbows.
I'd never buy a Prius.

:thumbup:

:laughabove:

I made that third statement countless times in the past. I now own a third-generation Toyota Prius, and what's even worse, is that I love it. :pout: