CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Discussions (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Is 14 miles on a new ZL1 too many? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548393)

Fraxum 02-18-2019 12:19 PM

Mine had 4 or 5 miles on it as I remember. I wasn't allowed to drive it until after I bought it! Most dealers I worked with would not allow anyone to test drive ZR1s, Z06es, or ZL1s. That being said one of the dealers let me drive the an A10 ZL1. And the young salesperson who went with me said, "I've never been in a ZL1, let's see what it can do!" LOL. Although that test drive sold me on the A10.

hawk02 02-18-2019 12:21 PM

Any dealer worth a grain of salt wouldn’t let someone test drive a ZL1 without the presence of a sales person In the car. Heck, I’ve purchased six vehicles from my dealer and have had all my vehicles service there. I’m considered a very good customer, and I wasn’t allowed a test drive without a sales person. I wouldn’t sweat the 14 miles on the odometer. The chances they’re high abuse miles is probably low.

arpad_m 02-18-2019 12:47 PM

Two more data points: my 2LT came in with 4 miles on the odometer, and the 2SS had 6 miles when I took delivery.

Those two customers the dealer mentioned couldn't have done much harm in 8-10 miles with a sales guy in the car who obviously wouldn't want to jeopardize their chances of a future sale. Barring any other visible and tangible issues, I wouldn't sweat this mileage at all.

DANACO 02-18-2019 12:57 PM

You have nothing to worry about with 14 miles, it would be nearly impossible, even getting on it hard and above 4K rpm’s to damage that engine. If anything, GM is conservative on break in procedure. Many cars become oil burners due to over babying them from the beginning, I know, I’ve had those problems and learned that engines need some hard acceleration at times early on to seat the rings, I’ll never make that babying the engine mistake again.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand your concern, buy it, it will be just fine !

Dethsupp0rt 02-18-2019 01:00 PM

No. It's not a million dollar exotic that's made of glass. It'll be fine.

I think mine had 8 on it, and I drove it another 3 or so before buying it.

fosterelli 02-18-2019 01:39 PM

Mine had 3 miles. It never left the lot between truck and my pickup. All of the new vehicles we have purchased in the past decade (and it's been a lot from many different brands) have had 2-7 miles...never had one in double digits.

For a Camaro I wouldn't be concerned about 14 miles or even 24 miles. You're under warranty and I'm sure the car wasn't thrashed. Check the rear tires and rear wheel wells for evidence of a burnout.

If it were something exotic, and it was post-dealership delivery mileage (not factory mileage), I'd have reservations. Otherwise all good IMO.

LT4Greg 02-18-2019 01:43 PM

14 miles is nothing! I had over 100 miles on my ‘16 SS when I bought it and twice were test drives that I did in it. No worries IMHO. Don’t let that little bit of mileage scare you off from buying it if you really want the ZL1!

DangerZL1 02-18-2019 02:00 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm pretty close to making a trip to see the car this Fri or Sat. He said they were his customers, so he may have been in the car.

It will likely be a rainy 6 hour drive one way, but at least no frozen stuff. If the deal works out, I'll fly back to pick it up.

Ryephile 02-18-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt (Post 10440261)
No. It's not a million dollar exotic that's made of glass. It'll be fine...

Agreed. Even then...

Fun fact: The Bugatti Chiron is driven 200 miles [on factory wheels & tires] and then another 30 miles on the customer wheels & tires before delivery. This is to ensure the car is fully broken-in before the customer gets it so they can just get in and enjoy it straight away.

Apexslayer 02-18-2019 04:09 PM

Your fine with 14 miles...

Stephen12ZL1 02-18-2019 04:24 PM

My ZL1 had 6 miles on it. 14 is nothing...

CPB 02-18-2019 04:30 PM

14 miles would not bother me. Mine had 7 miles when I took it for a test ride. Was surprised actually. The sales guy could not wait to take it out for a test drive. He offered and I said sure.

Fatty1707 02-18-2019 05:15 PM

Mine had 19 miles and I bought it 2 weeks before it showed up at the Dealer. I picked it up minutes after it was dropped off the truck and my salesman snapped a photo of the odometer for me as I was going to get it. Normal since they are arriving at the Dealer with 3 to ??? miles.

Chazzz 02-18-2019 06:27 PM

I’m like you, when I take a performance car out for a test drive I drive it gently like I’m going to own it. Sadly most people out there just don’t care and will take advantage of the situation. I took a new Hyundai Veloster Turbo our last month and they handed me the keys and tod me to have fun and no one rode along. When I returned I told the sales manager I babied it and he said no worries ‘they are ready to go out of the box. I told him no I wouldn’t want anyone to do that to a car I was buying but in reality most people do. It would always be in the back of my mind how that car was driven on those 2 test drives....