Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nervous about Storing my car for the winter (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333167)

trashmanssd 12-18-2013 07:12 PM

yeah i have stored my car in my garage for last 4 winters and i add stabil put 1.25 volt battery tender on it. its in my own garage so once moth i start it up let it run 5-20 minutes to get oil up and on everything and if i can i pull it out move it around in the driveway to oil the gears and try get it on a different place on the tires when parked. only problem i had when i first got my car was this stupid as thing where if you dont lock the doors it leaves a bunch modules on and runs the battery dead did it to me twice before dealer told me oh you don't know that you have lock the doors all the time with these cars (Porsche) or it kills battery in week or so. I wanted punch him in the mouth. if i did i would have locked it and its in my own garage why the **** would i lock it its in a locked garage.

SemperGumby 12-18-2013 08:48 PM

Or you could be a man and throw some snow tires on her... just sayin.

But yeah don't over think the storage, she'll be happy to see you in a few months.

OHIOSS 12-18-2013 08:56 PM

Geez guys, how long do you think cars sit on a dealer lot and/or at the factory?? They don't do anything to the cars. Nothing you guys have done is going to hurt anything but in my opinion none of it is necessary. This is my 4th year and I haven't had a single problem so there is proof it's not necessary.

Russ

rtcat600man 12-18-2013 09:10 PM

Battery tender, over inflate the tires, tape off the tail pipes, cover it, see you in the spring.

kevinw 12-18-2013 09:26 PM

i dont store mine, just drive it on dry days here in Kansas city. too much money involved in the purchase to just let it sit. i drove mine today after 2 weeks of sitting in garage. like above post said, most cars sit outside in dealer lots in the worse conditions. my car is new, but was a year old build and sat out in winter here all last winter in dealer lot.

2SS 2011 12-19-2013 07:17 AM

Guys Thanks for all the awesome feedback!.. Im gonna check on her this weekend just to make sure everything is ok.., I feel a lot better./. i figured I'd get great responses from a subject like this because we truly all feel the same about our cars!

ZED SLED 12-19-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHIOSS (Post 7270899)
Geez guys, how long do you think cars sit on a dealer lot and/or at the factory?? They don't do anything to the cars. Nothing you guys have done is going to hurt anything but in my opinion none of it is necessary. This is my 4th year and I haven't had a single problem so there is proof it's not necessary.

Russ

And how many start when someone wants to test drive it? Guarantee most every dealership if not all has a quick start/charger on the lot.

2SS 2011 12-19-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclark10 (Post 7271455)
And how many start when someone wants to test drive it? Guarantee most every dealership if not all has a quick start/charger on the lot.

I know I have been to dealerships in the past and looked at say a leftover car that has been sitting for god knows how long and the battery was dead.. they would wheel this thing over and jump the battery so i could take a test drive

lbls1 12-19-2013 11:10 AM

No sweat! My cars are locked up all the time, sometimes weeks at a time before I start them up. You should be fine.

NYJets77 12-19-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SemperGumby (Post 7270873)
Or you could be a man and throw some snow tires on her... just sayin.

+1

buncha nancies in this thread :lol:

Sales @ CAI Inc 12-19-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyWifesSS (Post 7271947)
I have been storing my toy over the Michigan winter now for four years (about 4-5 month) All I have ever done is top of the fuel, plug in my battery tenders, start it about once a month. I didn't start it at all the first year, man was the lifters noisy until they built back up.

I also notice slight flat spots that went away after a few miles of driving and I have Nitto Nt-01's on the car (super soft compound)

for short durations like winter storage, storage is not rocket science.

You would actually be better off not starting it for short amounts of time like that. If you are just starting it to let it run and then shut it off all you do is create moisture during the cooling & heating process. If you are going to store it just throw a battery tender on and leave it be, I would not start it until you are going to be driving it. Just some friendly advice from another Michigander. ;)

OHIOSS 12-19-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SS 2011 (Post 7271809)
I know I have been to dealerships in the past and looked at say a leftover car that has been sitting for god knows how long and the battery was dead.. they would wheel this thing over and jump the battery so i could take a test drive

I don't doubt that at all, I am just saying that my battery was just fine after being in storage for 6-7 months. Like I said b4, nothing you guys are doing is going to hurt your car. I just don't think they are necessary. If your battery is low when you need to get it out of storage just connect an insta-start charger. I would be more worried about the battery tender malfunctioning and damaging the battery, or worse catch on fire than jumping the car with another car or hooking up an insta-start. But that's just me. :headbang:

2SS 2011 12-30-2013 01:37 PM

Just saw the car the other day after 3 weeks.. so far so good!

trashmanssd 12-30-2013 02:01 PM

I don't know what would be worse having it stored off site or at home. Mines at home so i can check on it any time which I like but then again every time i go to the garage its there teasing me begging to go for ride.